Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Earliest New Zealand

Chapter VII

page 214

Chapter VII.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1st.—On board most part of the day; afternoon, on shore buying a few little things.

FEBRUARY 2nd.—In morning went on shore to settle my accounts; in afternoon, putting my cabin to rights.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3rd, 1822.—This morning weighed anchor, and set sail for New Zealand; the wind rather light, and weather remarkably fine, but very hot. Pass the Heads of Sydney at eleven a.m., and once more committed ourselves to the winds and waves of the ocean, but under the protection of that Almighty Being Whom winds and waves obey.

4th, 5th, 6th.—Weather very fine, and the wind fair.

7th, 8th, 9th.—Weather very fine.

SUNDAY.—Very fine. Divine Service on deck.

MONDAY.—Fine day; fresh breeze.

12th.—Make the land at four in the morning. Capt. Potton bought a lot of potatoes for a musket, and afterwards used some other natives very ill, that brought hogs and potatoes to sell; after permitting them on deck, he refused to pay them what he ought to have done, viz.: one musket for seventy buckets potatoes and two pigs.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13th.—Made Cape Brett at seven in the morning; wind blowing out of the bay; at nine within the heads, ship standing for Kororareka; at three in the afternoon came to an anchor in Tarrier's River. Mr. Kendall dined on board, and took two muskets to his house, from the ship “Westmorland.” In the evening went home in a canoe belonging to Towie; gave him three axes and a spade for payment. Blessed God, I found my family all well.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14th.—Went down to the ship, and brought my things on shore.

SATURDAY.—Reading the whole day.

SUNDAY, 17th.—Divine Service, morning and evening in my house; preached from 5th Chapter of Peter, and seventh verse. page break


page 216

MONDAY, TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.—We had a good many natives about us who were very troublesome, and anxious to steal our property.

THURSDAY. — Mr. Kendall, Capt. Potton, Mr. Sparks, Dr. Hamilton, Mr. Hall, Mr. Bagster, Capt. Thompson, dined with us in my new house, being the first dinner eaten in that building.

FRIDAY.—Very poorly, from over-exertion and heat.

SATURDAY.—Very ill; obliged to go to bed.

SUNDAY.—Very ill; not able to perform Divine Service.

MONDAY.—A little better; enabled to do a little writing, etc. This day, a numerous body of natives set off to the River Thames and Wykato, on a war expedition. Our own natives go to-morrow. They have already destroyed almost the whole Mogoia Tribe, brought away most of the heads of the chiefs, and many slaves. Mrs. Butler gave two axes for a half-caste child, belonging (as the natives say) to the doctor of the “Coromandel,” in order to save its life; for, except some of the missionaries took it into their houses, it was their intention to kill it, as the mother was dead, and the infant unable to walk.

Revd. and Dear Sir,

I have to inform you that the “Westmorland” weighed her anchor in Sydney Cove on Sunday morning, Feb. 3rd, 1822, and we set sail for New Zealand, and after a fine passage of ten days, we came to anchor in the Bay of Islands. I immediately set off for Kiddee Kiddee, and when I arrived at home I found my family in good health, blessed be the Lord for His mercy. On my arrival, Shunghee, Wykato and all the other chiefs, with their people, had returned from the slaughter of the natives at the River Thames, having depopulated several very large districts, amongst whom is the interesting district of Mogoea, together with the great chief Enaekee and his family; his sister is brought here alive, as a wife to one of the chiefs, and Enaekee's head is in possession of another chief of the Bay of Islands. Shunghee's brother was slain in the fight, and Shunghee himself was struck twice by musket shots, but having on his coat of mail, which was given him in England, and the balls (I suppose x x by spirits) they did not perforate.

The moment they landed at Kiddee Kiddee they killed in a most brutal manner many slaves, as a satisfaction to the “manes” of their dead warriors. The slaves thus slaughtered were afterwards eaten as common food. My brethren inform me the scene was most shocking.

The natives have again united their forces, and called in the tribe from the North Cape, to assist in the general massacre, and they departed from Te Kiddee Kiddee this morning, (I should think a thousand strong), to be reinforced at every village as they pass, until the numbers will page 217 become very formidable indeed, and with a full determination to sweep the whole of the River Thames and all the country round for some hundred miles, with the besom of destruction. These are trying seasons, indeed, especially when it is considered that before they started, they would come into our dwellings and demand what they thought proper, and we durst not refuse them, nor scarcely expostulate with them. Mrs. Butler was treated very roughly by some of the chiefs during my absence, but the Lord was her help. Mr. Marsden did not furnish me with any slops at Port Jackson, and on account of which, several chiefs who expected a suit each on my return home, have been very cross with me. Neither did he supply me with any national school books, or cards which I applied for.

I beg leave to enclose copies of two “bills” which I have drawn on the Society, for goods and passages, as stated therein, to and from New Zealand, which you will have the goodness to honour when presented.

During my absence, my son and the natives have gathered in an excellent harvest, which will be a great relief. I have at this time twelve natives at work in general business, and am happy to have a good wheaten loaf to feed them. Also I do hope and pray that the Lord will enable me to keep my ground among them, and finally, of His goodness and mercy, bless the course we have in hand, and make these habitations of cruelty the great and peaceable dwellings of harmony and love.

Mrs. Butler and family join with me in best respects and sincere wishes to yourself and family, Mr. and Mrs. Bickersteth, the Committee, and all our dear friends, and believe me to be,

Dr. Sir,
Yours very affectionately,


By the “Ann,” Capt. Lawrie, March 2nd, 1822.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26th.—Busy among my natives, repairing my store.

FEBRUARY 27th.—Occupied in general business in the morning, writing and reading. Most of the natives being gone away to fight, the settlement is restored to peace and tranquillity, but for how long it is hard to say. The natives employed by me go on with their work very well, and better than could be expected, considering the unsettled state of things in New Zealand at this time.

FEBRUARY 28th.—Employed among the natives in the morning; afternoon, writing. Messrs. Bean and Fairburn are getting on well with my house; hope to have it finished in the course of a month. Mrs. Butler has at this time several native children patients, who are brought daily for nourishment.

page 218

MARCH 1st.—This morning have been very busy among my natives, fencing, etc.; also paid a visit to the women and children in the village, who are weeping and mourning, on account of their husbands and friends who are gone away to war. This afternoon, two women belonging to Mogoia, who were taken in war and spared on account of their health and beauty, came to my house to see me, weeping and mourning on account of their misery, to give me an account of their misfortunes, and to relate an account of the late massacre at their place. They told the narrative with much pathetic energy concerning the killed, the eaten, the wounded, the taken, as must warm the coldest feelings and soften (I should think) the hardest heart. They wept aloud when I spake to them about the conversation I had with them and their friends when at Mogoia, about the being of a God of infinite love and mercy, and His great goodness to all people of every caste and colour, of every land and clime, and when I reminded them of what I had said about (either myself or some other missionary) coming among them, they immediately replied: “We told you at the time we should all be dead before that period arrived;” and behold how true, for most of them are already now in eternity. I gave them some fish-hooks as a small present, and I can truly say that I was very sorry I could do no more to relieve their misery.

The sawyers going on exceeding well, as also the farmers.

SATURDAY, MARCH 2nd.—This morning a lad who has wrought for me for some time begged me to go into the village to see his father, who he said was very ill. I went with him, and when we arrived at the hut, the sick man wished me to tell him the nature of his complaint. I told him it was a fever, but not dangerous, and that he would be well in a few days, and that I would give him some tea, and other little things to do him good. He seemed much pleased at my information and promise, and his son came back and took him some tea and bread.

He was going to the war, and had over-exerted himself in dancing and shouting and other exercises, which always takes place before they set off. These exercises had brought on a slight fever, which caused him to be left behind. He told me that he thought the “Attua” had seized him and was going to eat his inside. I told him that the New Zealand “Attua” was all nonsense, and that from our own improper conduct by heats and cold, many diseases were brought upon the body as natural consequences of our own improper conduct, and also that our page 219 bodies are subject to disease and death on account of our doing bad things against the commands of the great “Attua,” the God of heaven and earth, the Almighty Spirit that made all men and gave them life. He answered: “What you say is good,” and was happy to hear he should be better in a day or two, but he could not comprehend how one God should fill all space. After breakfast gave some directions to the natives, and spent the remainder of the day in writing and reading.

SUNDAY. — Administered Holy Communion. No one attended but my family.

MONDAY.—Putting up fencing.

TUESDAY, MARCH 5th.—Putting up fencing.

WEDNESDAY.—Laying a drain in fowl-yard.

THURSDAY.—Samuel Butler and Mr. Fairburn set off for Shukehangah, myself employed in laying a drain.

FRIDAY.—Winnowing of wheat for bread.

SATURDAY.—Reading and preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, 11th.—Writing the most part of the day. Held a special committee on general business.

TUESDAY. — Dividing the rope and other stores, and attending to my natives. Mr. Wm. Hall, Mr. Cowell and Mr. King dined with me, and Mr. Kendall and Mr. Cowell slept at my house the preceding night.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13th.—As soon as I arose this morning, I heard that a native had been shot in the night, about half a mile from my house. I felt desirous of knowing who had done it, and the reason of it being done. On my enquiry I found that a man named Ashou had shot a young woman, (he had been one of my sawyers), a slave, for stealing some fish to eat, which was hanging on a pole by his hut.

I first found the man and enquired if he had killed a slave, and he said, “Yes.” I then wished to know the cause of his so doing, and he replied, “I caught her in the act of stealing my food, and I loaded my gun and shot her.” I then asked him to show me the corpse, and he immediately accompanied me to the spot, which was about half a mile distant. When we arrived, I found her lying in a creek of water, and her body stretched in a shocking position, and on examining the body, I found that a ball had passed through the body page 220 under the ribs. I told him. I was very sorry that he should kill a young woman for so trifling an act. He then asked whether it was not good to kill for stealing, and if the white people did not hang thieves. The question was so pertinent and forcible that I scarce knew what to answer him according to his query. However, I told him it was very wrong to thieve, but there was something peculiar in her case which deserved much pity. She appeared to be almost starved to death, and only took a little fish to keep her from famishing, and if he had corrected her without killing her, I should not have been angry, but now I could not be reconciled to him for taking away the life of a slave for a thing which I was sure he was doing very often himself; and if he killed another for doing wrong, and did the same continually himself, he was much worse than the person whom he had killed, and he must expect some heavy judgment to come upon him. After some further conversation about the sin of theft, and the punishment of it, I left him and returned home to breakfast. The remainder of the day employed with my natives, etc.

Had several applications this day from sick people for tea and sugar; they were supplied.

THURSDAY.—Employed among my natives and drawing stores.

FRIDAY.—Employed in assisting to clear the rubbish out of my new house and yard.

SATURDAY.—Reading and preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service in my new house, morning and evening.

18th.—Rather poorly. Employed in reading most part of the day.

TUESDAY.—In the garden, and among my natives. At and about the buildings. This morning my son, Samuel Butler, and Mr. Fairburn returned from Shukiangah, bringing ten young pigs. They have been out twelve days in search of hogs; Meat is very scarce indeed, and the pigs that remain among the natives, they will not part from (at least but very few), without powder and guns, and these I never issue. The natives that remain at home are very trying; they frequently come into my house against my consent. They often open the door of the house and come in without speaking, and place themselves in a chair at the table where we are sitting, covered with oil and ochre and filth, enough to turn the strongest stomach; page 221 neither will they rise or go until they please; we can only prevail by entreaty. One of them came into my place on Sunday morning, and he would not go out until between nine and ten o'clock at night. I spake to him in the best manner I was able as to the impropriety of his conduct, gave him his supper, etc., etc., but he did not pay any attention to this, but said he should go when it suited him. Pray for us—we need your prayers, and of the continual grace of Christ to keep us from fainting by the way, or of turning aside from the Holy Commandment delivered unto us.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—Employed in the general business of the Mission. This week, Messrs. Bean and Puckey have been employed in building my chimney; they have completed one, and commenced the second. Mr. Fairburn has been employed in putting up shelves in my study. Mr. Shepherd has been this week after a raft of timber to Wycaddi. Several native children in the settlement being ill, Mrs. Butler has supplied them with tea and sugar and bread, etc.

MARCH 23rd.—Employed in my study in preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Moving things into the new house.

TUESDAY MORNING.—Mr. Saml. Butler went to Mr. F. Hall for some trade to pay natives for work, and he refused to take an order from him, whereupon I went to him and informed him if he refused trade to my son while he was the Society's servant, I should write to the Society concerning the matter. I further said my son had as much right to the public store as he had. Mr. Hall then began to use very bad and scurrilous language to me, calling me a bully, prognosticating evil to my family, etc. He further said I had flannel belonging to the Society; and that I was too well acquainted with its value to give it to the natives. Query: What does he mean by that? He also charged me with doing all I could while at Port Jackson to deprive him of his situation. Now this is shockingly false, as must appear in a moment to every thinking mind. Is it possible that I, as a clergyman, should wish to take to myself his position as a layman? This altercation preyed so much on my mind after my return home, and brought on a bilious disorder, so that I was very ill all the week after. Mr. Hall also, on the Thursday following, wrote me a letter page 222 which is replete with malignity. I pray God may not lay this sin to his charge, and may the Lord forgive him as freely as I do for Xt's sake.

SUNDAY.—Blessed be God, I was enabled to perform Divine Service, altho' very poorly in health.

MONDAY.—Writing the whole day, etc. My native workmen still go on exceeding well. Our settlement at this time is in peace and tranquillity.

[Rev. Mr. Butler reported that he had nine natives employed and victualled, belonging to the district of Kiddee Kiddee, and four slaves taken in war at the River Thames, the first a boy about twelve years of age, second a boy about four years, third a girl about ten years, who is nurse to the fourth, being an infant about twelve months, whom Mrs. Butler redeemed from the warriors, in order to save its life. The infant is a half-caste, said to belong to an officer on board the “Coromandel.”]

TUESDAY.—Writing, etc., etc.

WEDNESDAY.—This morning I set off for Rangee Hoo to carry some little comforts for the natives employed by the missionaries, and sick; as tea, sugar, prints, flannel and dungaree, moulds, etc. I was very happy to find them all in good health, but exceeding sorry to find that thro' Mr. ——'s conduct, greater differences existed among them.

APRIL 4th.—In my study.

GOOD FRIDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening; administered the Holy Sacrament.

SATURDAY.—Employed in my study.

SUNDAY, EASTER DAY, APRIL 7th.—By the request of the Rev. Thos. Kendall and the other brethren, I went down to Rangie Hoo to perform Divine Service and administer the Holy Sacrament; I also christened Mr. King's child (three weeks old)—Samuel Lee King; churched Mrs. King at the same time. Capt. Henry had arrived two days previous. He called at Bay of Islands to procure potatoes, etc. I received two letters by him from the Society, and six bags of bread from Port Jackson. Rev. Mr. Williams and his wife, Mrs. Henry and her brother, and Mr. Henry's brother are on board as passengers, going to Tahietee.

MONDAY.—Returned to Kiddee Kiddee, and found all well.

page 223

TUESDAY, APRIL 9th.—All the above friends dined with me at Kiddee Kiddee.

Mrs. Butler and self returned to Rangie Hoo, in the evening, and remained at Mr. Wm. Hall's until Friday, when we returned home. During my stay at Rangie Hoo I had an opportunity of going to Par Roa and putting letters on board the “Indian,” Capt. Merrick, for England. She sailed out of the Bay of Islands April 12th, 1822.

I was truly grieved to find my brother missionary going on in a way which was not good; may the Lord in His mercy restore him to His holy ways, and evermore rule and direct his steps.

SATURDAY.—In my study, writing and reading.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, M. & E.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.—Employed with my natives about the buildings, and winnowing wheat and oats. Our natives killed all the pigs belonging to the natives of Kaipero.

APRIL 17th.—Held the quarterly committee at my house; read the public letter from Mr. Pratt, drew a bill on Mr. Marsden for half year's salary due to my son, March 31st, 1822.

Agreed with Capt. Hunter of the “Vansittart” to take Mr. Bean and Mr. Fairburn, carpenters, to Port Jackson, as also Mr. Saml. Butler, Mr. Wm. Hall. Capt. Hunt had slept at my house the preceding night, in order that he might attend the committee, and arrange about the passengers going to Port Jackson. At the time that we were consulting with Capt. Hunt, he had the dreadful news brought him by one of the sailors that one of his boats had upset in the bay on the night before, and all the crew except one, consisting of six hands, perished in the mighty waters.

The captain's feelings, and our own, on these melancholy tidings, may be better felt than expressed. My son, at the captain's request, set off immediately with him, to see if any of the bodies could be found, or if peradventure any of them might have reached the shore, as they were not far from it at the time, as appears from the story of a native girl who was in the boat at the time, and who succeeded in reaching the shore to tell the fatal news concerning the rest. Mr. Cowell and Revd. Thos. Kendall did not attend, and Mr. King could not, through sickness.

page 224

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—Gardening and writing. My son has returned from the ship “Vansittart,” bringing the fatal news of the death of five of the boat's crew, and one saved, being picked up nearly dead, after clinging to the boat seven hours.

The captain having sent a message desiring me to go down, I returned with the crew, and reached the ship about eight o'clock at night. I found the captain more tranquil in mind than I expected. I spent the evening with him in serious conversation. Next morning he wished me to be a witness of the disposal of the wearing apparel belonging to the deceased. They were produced on deck, and sold among the sailors to the best bidder, and the captain made answerable for the amount to the relatives. After this business I departed for home, and arrived about five p.m. Spent the evening in reading.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, APRIL 22nd.—Writing the whole day. I am happy to state by way of conclusion, that through the tender mercy of our God, I am at this time quite well, and my family also is enjoying the inestimable blessing of good health. You will see by the enclosed bills, I stand indebted to the Society for articles had out of the store from Mr. F. Hall. Many of these things have been given away by me among the natives. The way in which I came by the case of bonnets was as follows. When at Port Jackson I applied to Mr. Marsden for the children's bonnets sent out by the Sp——(?) for New Zealand, and he informed me they were in Campbell's store. I went to Mr. Campbell and made a demand of the case, and he replied, “Mr. Marsden has ordered it to the Orphan School, Parramatta.” I told him I wanted it at New Zealand, and begged permission to take it, which was granted. This case was opened at a special committee at Kiddee Kiddee, everyone expecting a share of them, but everyone was disappointed on finding that it did not contain school bonnets but —— (illegible): One did not want any, and another did not. I then said, “I will be answerable for the bonnets, according to the invoice, to the Society, and any of you that like to take any for your wives and children can take them, and be accountable to me for the same.”

And now, my dear Sir, I beseech you pray for me, and pray for poor New Zealand, for I trust that the heathen shall yet be given to Xt for His inheritance, and these utmost parts page 225 of the world for His possession. Give our united love to all friends, and accept of the same to you and yours, and believe me to be,

Dear Sir,
Very faithfully yours,


Sent to the Society per Samuel Butler, by Port Jackson.
Capt. Hunt, “Vansittart,” whaler, April 27th, 1822.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24th.—Mr. Thos. Hansen began to assist my natives to break in the bullocks, in order to sow wheat, oats, and barley. Employed in getting things ready for my son's embarkation on board the “Vansittart,” for Port Jackson.

THURSDAY.—To-day my son took Mr. Bean and his things on board the “Vansittart,” and returned in the evening.

This morning I sent a number of natives into the bush to see if they could get the bullocks down to the settlement. With my assistance and Mr. Hansen, we got them all into the yard with several young cattle. Caught two bullocks for the purpose of working them on the farm, and I castrated three young bulls, about twelve months old. We had a good deal of trouble about this business, but we got over it much better than I expected. I narrowly escaped being knocked down twice, and several others also, as the young bulls, when let loose, ran at the first person that came near.

SATURDAY.—This morning I set off for the “Vansittart” with my son and Mr. Fairburn. It was a very wet day, and we did not arrive until evening, and I caught a severe cold. Remained on board on Sunday, and returned in the evening, after burying one of the men who had been drowned.

MONDAY.—Mrs. Butler and myself returned to the ship to bid Samuel Butler good-bye.

TUESDAY.—Set off for Rangie Hoo, and remained there on a visit until the 9th May, when I returned home to Kiddee Kiddee.

MAY 5th.—Preached at Rangie Hoo morning and evening, and administered the Holy Sacrament; a very pleasant Sabbath.

page 226


Samuel Leigh to Rev. John Butler.
May 10th, 1822.

Rev. and Dear Sir,

We have received the two chairs and piece of ——(?) you have been so kind to send us, for which we thank you.

We are concerned to hear you have been unwell since you left us. We advise you to be careful of your health, and observe what it is that affects you most, that you may avoid the cause, and by the blessing of heaven, you may enjoy health.

We are pleased to find you give us a place in your prayers to God, and we beg to be continued in your daily devotions. You will excuse me for not coming to see you for the present. The whole of this week I have been unwell and continue feeble. I have had much pain in my head and back, and am now much revived, for which the Lord be praised.

Mrs. Leigh has sent Mrs. Butler two frocks for your dear child, which she hopes will please. Last Sabbath, Mr. King conducted Divine Service in our house, and this day was good to us all.

The natives have returned to us from Wangaroa, and have brought news of the death of several men who were natives of our village. One of Rangiliu men directly killed a slave, and several other natives cut him up and roasted and ate him on our beach. I have reasoned with them upon the subject, and they are ashamed of it.

Please remember us to all the friends in your settlement. We shall be glad to hear from you at all times.

Wishing you every blessing in all your ways,

I am,
Rev. and Dear Sir,
Yours, etc.,


MAY 10th.—Went to plough all day. I took physick in the morning, and thereby cautht a severe cold which laid me up althogether the next day, and it was with great difficulty I performed Divine Service on Sunday, and administered the Holy Communion.

On May 4th, the brig “Endeavour,” belonging to Rev. Mr. Williams, ofTahiti, came to an anchor at Rangie Hoo, and by which I received two boxes containing four hats and four bonnets from the Society.

MAY 13th.—Very poorly, and not able to go out of doors.

AMY 14th.—This morning much better; in my study till one, then dinner, and to plough between four and five. page break


page 228

This day we got in my black cow. She has a fine cow calf.

MAY 15th.—At plough and harrow all day. Natives go on well.

THURSDAY.—At plough.

FRIDAY.—Very wet; natives draining the wheat lands.

SATURDAY.—In my study in the morning; afternoon, attending to my men.

SUNDAY, MAY 19th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Preached from I Hebrews, third verse; afternoon, from 68 Psalm, eighteenth verse.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY. — At plough, cattle work exceeding well.

Rain in afternoon of Tuesday; caught cold.

WEDNESDAY.—Poorly from cold. Spent the day in preparing a sermon for Whitsunday.

THURSDAY.—Very poorly. Spent the day writing sermon.

FRIDAY.—Rather better. Reading in the morning, afternoon at the farm.

SATURDAY.—Very wet. Spent the day in preparing for the Sabbath. I have now about six acres of wheat sown, but on account of the weak state of my health, I have been compelled to engage Thos. Hansen (a person long resident in New Zealand, and brother to Mrs. King) to assist me, and to go out with the natives. They, upon the whole, work very well. I have learned one native to drive a pair of bullocks, and another to hold the plough, and to harrow in grain, and to trench, etc., etc. I have several others who will become complete farmers in a little time. The natives in general have good ideas of tilling the ground and preparing it for seed, which must one day or other become, through the blessing of God, the greatest of temporal blessings.

WHITSUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Administered the Holy Sacrament. Poor natives very attentive and quiet.

JUNE 1st.—Through the mercy of God, I have been much better this week than I have been for several weeks past. The weather for the most part has been rainy, and out-door work page break
PORTRAIT OF TOOI, in his costume as a New Zealand chief; from the Missionary Papers.

PORTRAIT OF TOOI, in his costume as a New Zealand chief; from the Missionary Papers.

page 230 very much impeded and very uncomfortable thereby; nevertheless, we have tilled and sown about two acres of wheat. Natives go on pretty well in farming, sawing, fencing, etc. Mr. Hansen returned to Rangie Hoo this day; paid him £6/15/- for labour, and £5/8/0 for food. The settlement enjoys peace and tranquillity at this time.

SUNDAY.—Preached at Rangi Hoo, morning and evening. Administered the Holy Sacrament to Mr. Leigh, Mrs. Leigh, Mrs. Hall, Mr. and Mrs. King, and Mr. Hansen; spent the Sabbath very comfortably. Mr. and Mrs. Cowell did not attend. Mr. Kendall is still at Shukihangah with the ship “Providence,” Capt. Herd, a trader, for the purpose of loading her with spars. The captain told us before he left the Bay of Islands he should purchase his cargo entirely with muskets and powder.

JUNE 3rd.—Paid a visit to the natives of Rangie Hoo, who received me very kindly, and I returned to Kiddee Kiddee in the afternoon, and found my family in health and safety. In the evening I took a walk with my native foreman round the farm.

TUESDAY.—Ploughed three-quarters of an acre of land; bullocks driven by natives.

WEDNESDAY.—In the morning I went to the farm, and set my native foreman, Tywangah, to plough by himself for the first time, with one native to drive and another to clear the stubble and weeds from the plough. I wanted wheat winnowed for seed, therefore I returned to perform this business, and completed what I had to do before dinner. In the afternoon I returned to the farm, and found that my men had ploughed half an acre, and quite to my satisfaction. I may say without boasting that I was the first man who put the agricultural plough into the land of New Zealand, and the first man who taught the natives to use it. I should be happy if I could say that of the Gospel plough, and that I was the first instrument in the hands of the Lord in breaking up the fallow ground of the hearts of some of them, and of sowing the good seed of the work of God therein.

6th.—Sowed an acre and a half of wheat, and the natives harrowed it with the bullocks, and trenched the land. As my food was all expended, I was obliged to turn the bullocks into the bush this morning. I have nine acres of wheat got in pretty well; may the Lord give the increase.

page 231

FRIDAY.—Mr. F. Hall, Mr. Shepherd and Mr. Kemp have been into the country since Monday last, and returned this evening. Mr. Kemp had a goat, and Mr. Shepherd a lamb killed this day by native dogs.

JUNE 8th.—Went to the farm before breakfast, and sowed some barley; remaining part of the day employed in preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

JUNE 10th.—Sowing, chipping in barley.

11th.—Sowing oats.

12th.—Preparing ground for oats.

JUNE 13th.—Sowing oats.

14th.—Repairing fence round the paddock.

JUNE 15th.—In the study preparing for the Sabbath. The natives in my employ go on exceeding well at this time, but food runs very short. I shall be obliged to turn some away for want thereof.

JUNE 16th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY.—In the field with my natives sowing barley, clover, and grass seeds.

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.—Very poorly with cold and rheumatism in my limbs and head; obliged to keep indoors, and prepare thereby for the Sabbath. I have now completed all that I am able to do in the sowing department this season; I have sown nine acres of wheat, and four of barley and oats; may the Lord give the increase and reserve the appointed weeks of harvest. As the natives want the constant attention of a European in this field, both to instruct them in their work and encourage them to perform the same, and to sow the grain for them, and my health being weak for some time past, it has been with the utmost difficulty that I have got so much seed in the ground, but the Lord hath been my helper, He hath been my strength and comfort in my weakness, and I trust that whenever my heart and strength should fail, God will be the strength of my heart and portion for ever.

SUNDAY, JUNE 23rd. — Divine Service, morning and evening. Wykato, the one of the natives that accompanied Mr. Kendall to England, arrived at Kide Kide this morning from Shukihangah, bringing the news that the ship “Provi- page 232 dence,” Capt. Herd, is loading in that harbour with spars, and paying for them with muskets and powder. Rev. Mr. Kendall is aboard to act as interpreter, and will remain until the ship is full! ! !

FRIDAY, 28th.—This week my natives and self have been gardening and building a shed. My health, by God's blessing, is much restored, for which I desire to be truly thankful.

During the last month we have had many chiefs and their families at our house, backwards and forwards, among whom has been poor Thomas Tooi, his brother Korro Korro, Tiranghee and families, and about thirty of the people. They are exceeding anxious for somebody to go and live at their place. I think they have a fairer claim than any tribe in New Zealand, as they have always been very kind, and manifested their regard to Europeans. (I would have been glad if it had fallen to my lot to have settled among them.)

JUNE 29th.—Set off for Rangi Hoo to preach and administer the Holy Sacrament on Sunday, June 30th, 1822.

Within the last two months Mrs. Butler has made presents to several of the chiefs' wives, of blankets, flannel petticoats, gowns of Indian print, and also flannel for children. The weather at this season of the year is very humid and cold in New Zealand. The ice was a considerable thickness on standing water this morning. I need not say that blankets and flannel are very beneficial for the poor natives, of which they are very fond, because their utility is so clearly manifest.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 27th, 1822.—Messrs. Bean and Fairburn came to board and lodge at my house at 18/- per week and person.


Paid up to their departure by bills drawn on Mr. Marsden, New South Wales.

Rev. S. Marsden to the Rev. John Butler. (The original is in the “Hocken” Library.)
June 11th, 1822.

Revd. Sir,

I received your letter in which you allude to our differences. Allow me to say that you must be fully aware that it is not in my power, or yours, to settle these differences, as they are not of a private, but of a public nature, and have been referred to the final decision of our superiors in London. If the Committee of the C.M.S. believe those page 233 charges which you have made against me to be true, they will be bound to withdraw their confidence from me; if they do not believe them, they will make an unfavourable impression towards you. Nothing can therefore be done in this matter until an answer is received to your public letter forwarded by the “Surrey.” In answer to your application for different articles to be purchased by me at Port Jackson for the use of the settlement at Keddee Keddee, this I must also decline for the present, until I know what answer the Committee makes to your letter. If I have no direction or authority, I will have no responsibility. As I have no direction or authority, I must decline all interference for the present. You told me in the presence of a number of gentlemen that you would not obey my orders, nor would you act under me. (Why should he? [gap — reason: illegible] Butler was Superintendent of the Mission.) From that moment I had done; I had no means of enforcing obedience, and therefore it was of no use having any contention on this point, and here we parted. You have taken all the direction, and of course you will take all the responsibility. You will be answerable for all the stores and their expenditure, which you took from Mr. Campbell's store-house. You will remember the cordage and canvas were sent out for the “Active,” and not for your settlement. You have also taken upon you to divide the Society's property amongst individuals, which in my opinion should have been handed over to the storekeeper, agreeably to the direction of the Committee, and served out by him as occasion might require. The Society will expect that every part of the stores are accounted for in a proper way. Everyone should not be left to take his share of the public property, and expend it as he thinks proper. This was never the intention of the Society. If the Society should be satisfied with what you have done in this respect, I shall have no cause to complain. All I mean to say is that if I have not the direction, I will not have the responsibility. You have taken the direction, and you must take the responsibility.

There is nothing now belonging to the Society in Mr. Campbell's store but a little iron, two ploughs, and four harrows. The harrows would not sell because they were not pairs. You had taken harrows with you that were not fellows. I have desired Mr. Hall to send those harrows back which were not fellows. (We presume that these[gap — reason: illegible] harrows were sent out by the Society for utility, and not for sale by Mr. Marsden.)

I also observe an error in your minutes, where it is stated that I have sold the bonnets sent out by the Society. This I must request the committee to correct, for they are not sold. Upon what ground the committee made this statement I cannot say. However, it is not correct. I have mentioned them to Mr. Hall, and he, as well as Mr. Kendall, formerly, tells me they are not wanted at New Zealand. However, I shall not sell them for the present. As the missionaries have generally transferred their affairs from Sydney to London, and as several of them have drawn upon the Society for their salaries before they are due, they cannot want much from Port Jackson. If they do, they have their private agents here to supply them. Under all the circumstances of the Mission, I do not intend to purchase anything for the settlement, unless something very extraordinary occur, till I hear from the Committee. I conceive I should not be justified in doing this.

I cannot check or lessen the evils that afflict the Mission, originating wholly among yourselves, and therefore withdraw from them, (The evils are of Mr. Marsden's creation or distortion.) and as you as a page 234 body will not be governed by any authority here or in London, there is no alternative but to leave you to yourselves at the present to do as you like. God will in due time bless New Zealand with His Gospel. If the present workmen will not answer, He will find other labourers who will. I am not alarmed for the final success of the Mission, tho' at present clouds and darkness rest upon it. The nine bills you have drawn upon me I have paid, tho' you did not endorse them. They were drawn in your favour, and payable to your order. This is incorrect in me. I had no authority to pay them without your indorsement.

Present our kind respects to Mrs. Butler.

I am,
Revd. Sir,
Your most obedt. servant,


Rev. John Butler.

JULY 1st.—Mr. Butler reported to the quarterly committee that during the last three months he had had fourteen natives under his charge, all of whom were fed. Mr. Butler also reported he had sown about nine acres of wheat, and four of oats and barley, but from the weak state of his health he was obliged to engage Mr. Thomas Hansen to assist him in putting in the greater part of the wheat. He has taught one native to hold the plough, and another to drive.

SUNDAY, JUNE 30th. — Preached at Rangie Hoo, and administered the H.S. in the morning. Afternoon, very poorly, and not able to preach. I was exceeding sorry to hear from Mr. King, Mrs. Hansen, and Mr. Leigh, that Mrs. —— either sent or permitted her son Thos. ——, on Sunday morning, June 23rd, to go down to the beach and bargain for two hogs for powder, which were already bought by Mr. Hansen, begging the natives to return the payment when received, saying they would give more. This Mrs. —— did to her shame and disgrace, and not only bought them with powder, against the Society's positive instructions, but agreed for them on a Sunday evening, when all the other families were assembled together to worship the Lord our God!

MONDAY, JULY 1st.—Much better this morning, enabled to return home at noon, when I found my family were all well, blessed be God for His mercy.

TUESDAY.—Thomas Tooi and three of his brothers and our chief Teenana breakfasted with us. We had a good deal of talk respecting old England, Mr. Bickersteth, Mr. Pratt, Mr. Mortimer, and all the missionary friends we know in page 235 England. I sent down by Tooi to his place one young bull and one heifer, which he promises to take a special care of. I gave his people some fish-hooks, and six young peach trees for himself, and one iron pot at his request, and promised to visit his tribe the earliest opportunity. Afterwards I went into the village at K.K., and visited my natives.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY.—Obliged to keep my bed through a violent pain in my limbs, and head, and face; this complaint has been a pretty constant companion with me for two months, brought on I believe in the first instance from being much exposed to the wet weather, and often very wet in my feet.

SUNDAY.—On account of my indisposition, Mr. Kemp read prayers for me, and I preached morning and evening.

JULY 8th.—Much better; enabled to employ my time in the study. Bought two spars of Tenana for two axes. Taken very ill in the evening, with a violent pain in my head; took a strong dose of medicine, and in the morning found myself a little better.

TUESDAY.—Held the third quarterly committee at my house. Mr. King attended from Rangi Hoo, as also Rev. Saml. Leigh, visitor. Mr. Kendall is at Shukiangah, as also is Mr. Cowell. All the remainder of the week I have been very poorly, and have been obliged to keep indoors, and take pretty good quantity of physic.

SUNDAY, JULY 14th.—On account of my weakness and indisposition, Mr. Shepherd read prayers in the morning, Mr. Kemp in the afternoon. I preached M. & E., and administered the Holy Sacrament. Mr. Wm. Hall returned from Port Jackson in the ship “St. Michael,” which came into the harbour yesterday.

MONDAY.—A little better in health through mercy. The weather continues exceeding wet and uncomfortable; the rains which have fallen this winter in New Zealand have been very heavy, and continued a long time with little interruption.

TUESDAY.—Very poorly. Mrs. Butler went to Rangie Hoo to fetch down some things which were sent down from Port Jackson by my son for us. Returned in the evening very wet.

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. — Through mercy I feel a little better.

page 236

FRIDAY, JULY 19th.—This morning, Rev. W. Lawrey, Wesleyan missionary, his wife and child, came to visit us. They are on their way to Tonga Tabu, in the ship “St. Michael,” which was purchased, I understand, for the purpose of establishing a mission in Tonga Tabu, and to perform all that is necessary in shipping business hereafter, toward the general success and carrying of the same. Capt. Beveridge and wife remained one night at our house, and returned to his ship. Mr. Lawrey remained until Monday, July 22nd.

On the Lord's Day I was enabled to read prayers, and Revd. Mr. Lawrey preached morning and afternoon, on account of my indisposition.

MONDAY. — Being through mercy somewhat better, I was prevailed upon to ride down upon the water with Mr. and Mrs. Lawrey (to the ship), hoping that the sea air might do me good. Mr. Kemp accompanied us, and I bless God that my journey had this desired effect, as I feel much better since my return.

As the ship was lying near the settlement at Rangie Hoo, I slept at Mr. Wm. Hall's.

TUESDAY.—Wet; unable to return to Kiddee Kiddee. Capt. Beveridge and Mr. W.L. came on shore to invite us to partake of a family dinner on board. We consented, and Messrs. Hall, King, Kemp, Cowell, Mrs. Cowell, Miss Elizh. Kendall, Rev. Saml. Leigh, and self went on board, and spent two hours with our friends very comfortably, and then returned, and the most part of the company took tea at Mr. Hall's. In the evening, Mr. Wm. Hall, myself, and Mr. Kemp had some conversation respecting a habitation for Mr. Cowell, as he complains (not without cause, as it is his seeking) that he is uncomfortable at Mr. Kendall's. When he first came down with me, I offered him the half of my house, but he refused to accept of it, and altho' he might have been very comfortable therein, yet, notwithstanding this, and his being made acquaint with what happened in the family, he chose to go and live at Mr. Kendall's; and the brethren at Rangie Hoo say that he counselled Mr. Kendall to put the native girl out of the house by degrees.

WEDNESDAY.—Mr. Wm. Hall, Mr. King, Mr. Kemp and myself assembled to take the matter into further consideration.

When Mr. Kendall returned from England, he put Wykato, the native of Rangie Hoo who went to England with him, into the Society's house formerly held by Mr. Carlisle.

page 237

This we considered very wrong, and were therefore desirous that Mr. Cowell should accept this house, but as the native and his friends had it in their possession, sometimes living in it and sometimes not, and as they went in at Mr. Kendall's request, we thought it right in getting them out by offering them a present. We then sent for Mr. Cowell and consulted with him upon the subject, who appeared very agreeable. We then sent to Wykato, who was in the house, and we conversed with him upon the business. Wykato spoke exceeding well, and made no hesitation whatever to give it up. “I know,” said he, “it belongs to the white people. I told Mr. Kendall some time ago Mr. Cowell should have the house, but Mr. Kendall said to me ‘No! No! You remain in it.’” We informed him we should give him twenty axes, hoes, etc., etc., as a present. He replied, “Very well, I shall be glad to receive them as a present, but not as a payment, as I have no right to sell the white people's house.” We told him it would not be considered as a payment, but a present for his readiness to comply with our request.

Wykato then said he would remove his things in the afternoon, and in the morrow; and the day after it would be ready for Mr. Cowell. Having attained our object, we prepared to return to Mr. Hall's and look for trade. In crossing the yard Mrs. Cowell looked out at Mr. Kendall's door, calling her husband, saying, “Mr. C., you need not accept that house, for I will not go into it.” He turned aside to speak to her, and we saw Mr. Cowell no more. We proceeded to Mr. Hall's, and having collected the trade, I sent one of my natives to inform Wykato that the articles were ready for his reception, who returned for answer (being persuaded by Mrs. Kendall), that he could not go out until Mr. Kendall returned from Shukiangah, as he understood he would be very angry. Here the matter ended.

Mr. Kemp and myself dined with Mr. Hall, and then set out for Kiddee Kiddee, bidding Rev. W. Lawrey and friends in the ship “St. Michael” good-bye as we passed. Arrived about five in the afternoon, and found my family well, blessed be God.

THURSDAY.—Much better in health. The day exceeding wet; employed in the study.

26th.—In the garden most part of the day, being some-what better.

27th.—Employed in the study.

page 238

JULY 28th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Writing the whole day.

TUESDAY.—Held a special committee. The natives of our place are returned from the war at the River Thames. They have lost many of their friends in this expedition. Two canoes were upset at sea, and thirty persons drowned. They report that they have killed two thousand people at Waikato and its vicinity, and they have brought away many prisoners of war. Rewah, Shunghee, Moka, and several of their friends have been to see us, and dined with me on this day. I had a great deal of conversation with them about the war, and it appears they returned more through the inclemency of the weather than from a desire to cease from slaughter and devastation.

JULY 31st.—Writing and gardening. Gave Shunghie at his request a rug, an adze, and flannel to make him shirts.

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—Gardening, etc.

SATURDAY.—Went to Rangie Hoo in order to be ready to perform Divine Service on the Sabbath.

AUGUST 4th.—Preach M. & E. at Mr. Wm. Hall's house; administered the H.S.

MONDAY.—Returned to Kiddee Kiddee.

AUGUST 6th.—Levelling the front yard of my house.

AUGUST 7th.—Employed in the same manner. Several chiefs came to visit me this day, and were very importunate for axes, adzes, etc. I gave three adzes and one axe between the four principal men.

AUGUST 8th.—Employed in assisting to put up paling.

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.—Writing. Mrs. Butler has issued a small quantity of flannel and several gowns among the chiefs' wives and children.

AUGUST 11th.—Employed among my natives in making an under-drain.

AUGUST 13th.—In my study endeavouring to gain a little acquaintance with the native language. I have established morning and evening prayer in my house in the native language for their benefit; may the Lord grant His blessing. During the last month I have distributed among the natives of our district about one hundred young peach trees raised in my garden. Peaches thrive exceeding well in New Zealand.

page 239

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY.—At work with my natives putting up a new fence in front of my garden.

SATURDAY.—Preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Employed in my study. The remainder of the week in planting potatoes and sowing garden seeds.

Sent some of my natives to Wymattie with some sugar, tea, and rice for Tahairee, one of the chiefs of our district, and a near relation of Shunghie's, who is very ill. The present was received with thanks.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Employed in learning native language; my natives in planting potatoes.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.—In the garden with my natives; the remaining part of the week employed in writing and study.

In the course of the week Mrs. Butler had several applications from natives who were ill, for sugar, flannel, and tea, bread and rice. They were all supplied as far as we could.

The ship “Providence” came into the harbour on Friday, laden with spars from the River Shukeanga. Rev. Mr. Kendall, who acted as interpreter for her, returned to Rangie Hoo on her. Capt. Herd, I understand, intends to dispose of the spars at Valparaiso, and reload for England from thence, if possible.

SUNDAY.—Preached at Rangie Hoo, and administered the H. Sacrament. Churched Mrs. Hansen.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2nd.—Planting potatoes with my natives.

TUESDAY.—Employed in the barn endeavouring to learn two new hands how to thresh.

WEDNESDAY.—In the barn. In the evening Shunghie drank tea with me, and informed me that Mr. Kendall wished to know if he would give my person payment for double barrelled gun.

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. — Employed in gardening and weather-boarding a shed. Ship “Providence” went out of the harbour Thursday, September 4th, after having one of the boats broken by Wykato at Rangi Hoo.

page 240

SATURDAY.—Employed in my study.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening; administered the Holy Sacrament. Mr. F. Hall joined with us in commemorating the dying love of Jesus.

MONDAY, 9th.—Employed in my study; my natives in threshing and sawing.

10th and 11th.—Fencing and making a pig-sty.

THURSDAY.—Writing native language.

FRIDAY.—Gardening, etc.

SATURDAY.—Study; preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY, 15th.—Divine Service, M. & E.

MONDAY.—Writing native language.

17th, 18th, 19th.—Gardening.

20th, 21st.—Preparing for the Sabbath. During the past week I have been daily into the village to visit the sick. One chief very ill with pain and fever in the chest. Put a blister on his stomach, and gave him some salts, which, with such nourishment as we could procure, he is in a mending state.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22nd.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Winnowing in the morning, afternoon in the study.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.—Winnowing, painting. Bought five canoes firewood, visited the sick in the village, etc.

THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY.—Employed in my study, preparing for the Sabbath and learning native language.

SUNDAY.—Went to Rangie Hoo to preach, and administered the Holy Sacrament. —— came in after the service was begun, and stopped to receive the holy ordinance. I trembled in every limb to see him approach the table, while being in open and avowed sin, and in other respects going on in a scandalous manner. Had I been in England, I would not have administered it to him, but circumstanced as I was, I judged it best to do so, lest he should use lip against me there and then. It appeared he had some very wicked design in his heart, as he went away, and began talking with the natives, page 241 telling him that I did not do right by giving him the Sacrament, as I knew his heart was bad towards me. He then told them that I was a bad man for coming to Rangie Hoo to preach, as he did not send for me, and I had no business there. He next went and told my natives that he would break my boat to pieces if I came there again, together with other threatening language. In short, —— has been a desperate character, but what his end will be in this life I know not, but one thing I know, that without repentance he will perish everlastingly. Slept at Mr. Hall's in the evening, and returned home on Monday morning. Rev. Mr. Leigh accompanied me on a visit to K.K.


WEDNESDAY.—Rev. Mr. Leigh, Mr. Shepherd, and self went to see the forest of timber called Kai-ka-ta-oh Roah (Kahikatea Roa).

THURSDAY.—Employed in the study, and among my natives.

FRIDAY.—Accompanied Rev. Mr. Leigh to Rangie Hoo to bring Mrs. Leighto my house for a few days. Returned in the evening; arrived about seven o'clock.

SATURDAY.—In my study the whole day preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6th. — Divine Service, M. & E. Administered the H.S., Rev. Mr. Leigh preached in the afternoon, and I trust this Sabbath was a time of refreshing from the Lord of us all.

MONDAY, 7th.—Mr. Wm. Hall, Mr. King arrived about eleven o'clock, and we assembled together and proceeded to hold the quarterly committee at my house. The brethren dined with me.

TUESDAY.—The quarterly committee resumed their business at nine in the morning, and concluded at two. I hope we endeavoured to keep our great object in view, viz., the glory of God and the salvation of the heathen.

We all dined together at Mr. Shepherd's, and drank tea at Mr. Kemp's, and spent the evening in prayer and praise. It put me in mind of infant church in the Apostles' days: “And they continue daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God and having favour with all the people.”

page 242

WEDNESDAY, 9th—According to the determination of the committee last quarter, we all started into the bush this morning, to kill a bull which was considered dangerous. We succeeded, and brought home the beef in the evening, and divided it among the families of both settlements. All the brethren, and Mrs. Kemp, and Mrs. Shepherd, dined at our house, etc.

THURSDAY, 10th.—Mr. Wm. Hall, Mr. King, Mr. Cowell, Mr. and Mrs. Leigh returned to Rangi Hoo. In the afternoon I went to Rangie Tarri, a small wood about three miles distant, to seek for bonds to tie up fencing.

11th, 12th.—Employed in study.

13th.—Divine Service, M. & E.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.—Threshing and winnowing.



SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY. — Burning fern, and making a road to the kitchen.

TUESDAY.—Studying the native language.

SATURDAY.—Preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 27th.—Preached at Rangie Hoo this morning and evening, and administered the Holy Sacrament; returned to Kiddee Kiddee in the evening.

MONDAY, 28th.—This morning I set off for the timber ground with my natives, and a canoe beside, which I hired for the journey. I proceeded to Tipoonah to take with me Mr. Hansen, having engaged him to assist me in this heavy job. We made all speed from Tippoonah, and arrived at the timber ground at about eight in the evening. I saw a chief who had some timber to dispose of, and promised to purchase in the morning. We then made some tea, got our supper, and offered up our prayers and praise, moored off our boat a short distance from land and lay down in it to rest. As our beds were rather hard, we did not sleep much. At four in the morning we rose, and after some little refreshment and prayer proceeded to barter for timber. In the course of the day, I bought at different places fifty-four logs, and we got them all into the water, and rafted into two lots, one for the canoe page 243 and one for the boat. Evening drew on and we proceeded down the river with the tide in order to reach the entrance into the bay, to be ready to start across early in the morning, but before we could reach the place we proposed to stop at, it came on to thunder and lighten and rain very much, and the wind being against us. However, we reached the spot by great exertion. It continued to rain very hard for some time, and we got our boat sail to shelter us, and sat under a tree by the water side until the storm was over. Between nine and ten in the evening, the weather cleared up, and we attempted our journey, say ten miles, to cross the bay; but we had not proceeded above two miles when it began to rain and came over very dark, and in about a quarter of an hour the rain came on exceeding heavy with lightning and thunder. We had a good anchor in the boat, made it fast to the towrope, and was obliged to leave it and get to the shore as fast as we could. When we landed we were in a poor plight, being drenched with rain, which continued to fall, and having no fire or shelter. We therefore put to sea with our boat, and crossed the mouth of another river about half a mile wide. When we landed we found some slaves belonging to Tikoki, and entered one of the huts and sat down with them until daylight. Being very weary I went to sleep as I sat on the ground by the fireside to dry my clothes. I awoke in about two hours, but I was so stiff I could scarce move. The sun arose very clear and the morning very favourable; we determined to try our best to get across the bay. On returning to the spot where we left the timber we were glad to find it all safe, but had dragged the anchor some distance. We laboured hard from six to nine o'clock and got about three miles, when the wind came on to blow directly in our teeth. I then hired a canoe to assist us, but as it was badly manned, they could render us no assistance. We were again forced to drop anchor.

The “Vansittart,” whaler, was lying in Kororarika Harbour, about four miles from us. I determined to go to her and obtain a whaleboat if possible, to assist us. But here I was disappointed, as two boats were gone to the settlements. However, I obtained two hands, and I returned. At this time there was a great sea going. When we reached the spot where we left the timber, we found the raft broken and the greater part gone, only a few logs hanging to the anchor; we took these and fell back immediately behind an island for shelter. We had not been long here ere our canoe came to us bringing the news that they had lost their whole raft and page 244 had been near upset, as their canoe was several times nearly filled with water. In this distress I scarcely knew what to do. The day was fine, the wind blowing strong, a great sea on, the tide going out against the wind, and our timber floating out upon the waves miles from us in several directions. Everyone being completely fatigued, it was thought best to get some refreshment before any further attempt was made to collect it. At this time I felt such a cold come upon me, and my throat felt so sore I could scarcely swallow my food. I began to think I should be obliged to make for home, and leave it altogether. Some set to work, some to make a shed with boughs and the boat sail for the night. After all this was done, the evening drawing on, the wind ceased, and it was proposed we should collect as much as we could; accordingly the boat and two canoes well-manned set off, but I was so unwell as to be obliged to wrap myself up in the best manner I could, and lay down in the hut. The natives that were left with me to cook and to fasten and take care of the timber as it was brought in, made everything as comfortable for me as our situation would admit. After a strong pot of tea, I fell asleep, and slept very soundly for several hours, and blessed be the Lord, He was better to me than my fears.

In the morning I found myself better. The boat and canoes collected upwards of thirty logs, and brought them to the island before midnight. The men rested a few hours, and set off again at daylight. One canoe returned with four logs before breakfast. After breakfast I set off with a party in the canoe, and succeeded in bringing in three logs before dinner, the boat also returned with five logs. We got our dinner and proceeded once more, and it came to pass that about nine in the evening we had got together and rafted fifty-one out of fifty-four. This evening was very fine, the wind had ceased, and the sea was down. I determined therefore to set out immediately, but the natives were not willing, saying they were tired—this I well knew; but I was fearful lest the wind should rise in the morning, which is very often the case at this time of the year in New Zealand; and therefore begged of them to cheer up their spirits and make a start. They replied, “We are not able to pull any more until we have had a rest.”

As I had three Europeans, viz., two sailors from the ship and Mr. Hansen, and my own natives willing, I unmoored both rafts, took that which belonged to the canoe, and placed it at a small distance from the island in a proper direction, page 245 and we got our things into the boat, took our own raft in tow, and started. The other natives seeing this they jumped up, ran into their canoe, and came after us immediately. We continued rowing until next morning eight o'clock, by which time there was not a man that was scarcely able to lift up his arm. We therefore let go our anchor and went on shore and got some refreshments, and laid down on the beach until the return of the tide. After five hours had elapsed, we again started, and by great exertion reached Kiddee Kiddee about seven in the evening, thankful for all mercies, but most completely fatigued.

SATURDAY.—Very poorly, heavy cold and good deal of fever. Paid the natives for their journey. They complained very much of sore hands and limbs. I told them they must rest for two or three days to refresh themselves, etc.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd.—Performed Divine Service, morning and evening, and administered the Holy Sacrament, but with some difficulty.

MONDAY. — Through mercy, much better. Enabled to assist and superintend the landing of the timber. At the request of Rev. Mr. Kendall, the brethren of Te Kiddee Kiddee and myself set off for Rangie Hoo to hold a special committee concerning the propriety or impropriety of Mr. Kendall returning to England with his family in the “Vansittart,” Capt. Hunt. The committee was held accordingly, and by some Mr. Kendall was advised to go, by some he was advised to remain until he heard from the Society. We all dined together at Mr. Hall's, drank tea with Mr. King, and spent the evening, I hope, profitably.

6th.—Held a sub-committee in the morning, and then we returned to Kiddee Kiddee.

7th.—Employed among the timber and setting the sawyers to work.

FRIDAY.—Writing and gardening.

SATURDAY.—Preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Last night my little daughter was taken very ill, and her whole frame thrown into continual motion. Sent for Mr. and Mrs. Leigh from Rangie Hoo; they came with all speed, and kindly offered to do all in their power. The case of the child became truly distressing, being agitated in every nerve, and her speech page 246 totally gone. We were at a loss to know what medicine to administer, as none ever saw a similar case. The child had been dwindling away for some weeks, and her speech greatly defective. I looked on from day to day with anxious thoughts, administered simple things now and then, often sighing on account of my not knowing the nature of her disorder, and how to stop its progress. From the information which we gathered from books, and thinking over the case, we concluded that it arose in a great measure from worms, accompanied by high fever, but we have since thought that it came from an alarming fright occasioned by a wild cow running into the yard, when she was out of doors. We began to administer calomel and rhubarb, in five grains of the former and six of the latter, with a dose of castor oil twelve hours afterwards.

MONDAY.—Child very ill. Burnt shells for lime to make lime water. In the evening could not get her to take rhubarb. Administered calomel and castor oil as before.

TUESDAY.—The child somewhat better, but not able to speak, and in continual motion; gave her a wineglass full of lime water. Medicines as usual, as these were the only vermifuges we possessed.

WEDNESDAY.—Child a little better. Diet, barley water, gruel, chicken broth, arrowroot, etc.

THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY. — Medicine effective; able to speak so as to be understood.

During this week I have been greatly hurt owing to a false report Capt. Hunt was endeavouring to instil into the mind of a stranger, a captain of the brig “Mercury,” belonging to Jones and Riley, Port Jackson. Mr. Wm. Hall having gone to see if there were any letters on board for the Mission, he heard the whole, and was eye-witness to what passed. I took Rev. Mr. Leigh to Rangie Hoo, leaving Mrs. Leigh at our house until the child gets better; when we arrived, Mr. Wm. Hall informed me of what passed, and further that he had seen the native, who positively denied saying any such thing. I begged of him, Mr. Leigh, and Mr. King to go and see Capt. Hunt. On our arrival we found him drunk, but staggering about. We informed him of our business, having also with us the captain to whom he told the story. He said the native told him. I said, “Sir, that is false I know.” He said, “It was on a former visit.” Mr. Wm. Hall said he understood from him it was now. He said, “No! it was not page 247 this time, but a former.” Mr. King and Rev. Mr. Leigh said, “We believe no such thing was ever said, and you ought to be punished for propagating such falsehoods.”

I was happy to find the native then in the fore part of the ship. I therefore requested the captain to send him into the cabin, but ineffectively. I then went on deck to the chief officer and spoke to him, who went immediately and ordered the native on deck, who when questioned by me, and then by Mr. Hall and King, as to the truth of what the captain said, utterly denied in the presence of all, ever saying anything about me. Hunt appeared confounded, and wanted to drop the subject concerning me, when Rev. Mr. Leigh said, “Hunt! you are a bad man. Because you and Kendall are friends, you wish to make all the rest appear like him.” I assured all present that if I were where redress could be obtained, I I would have him in custody in a short time. Here the matter ended, and we returned.

SATURDAY, 16th.—Took Mrs. Leigh to Rangie Hoo, and brought us Mrs. King, who is very poorly on account of a fright received from the natives. They threatened to burn the house to the ground if Mr. and Mrs. King did not make peace or own Mr. — as a friend, while living in sin and dealing in muskets and powder. Mrs. King will remain at our house for change of air, etc, as a means of tranquillizing her mind.

NOVEMBER 17th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. After morning service we heard of a ship coming into the harbour, and Mr. F. Hall and I set off with all speed in hope of finding a medical man on board. When we arrived, we found her to be the “St. Michael,” from Tongataboo, Capt. Beveridge, no doctor. This ship took Rev. Mr. Lawrey and family, and two artificers to Tongataboo. The ship left Rev. W. Lawrey and family well. The natives are said to be very friendly and well disposed towards the white people, and very eager for missionaries. Received an encouraging letter from Rev. Lawrey concerning his hopes of success at Tonga. Returned home; arrived at eleven o'clock.

MONDAY.—Gardening and general work about home. Mr. King returned home to Rangi Hoo this day.

TUESDAY.—Went to the farm to look at the wheat. My little daughter passed a very restless night. Mrs. B. and self poorly, partly from anxiety and want of regular rest.

page 248

Mr. F. Hall brought Dr. Cribben from the “Mary Hannah,” a whaler, to see my little daughter. We blessed God for the arrival of the little ship, as we have now obtained medical aid.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY.—Attending to necessary things about the home. I have three pair of native sawyers cutting timber for a barn, who go on remarkably well, as also my other domestic servants.

FRIDAY.—Employed in the study in the morning.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 25th, 1822.—Employed at the farm.

TUESDAY.—Preparing a foundation for a barn in the morning; afternoon, took the doctor who attended my child, to his ship at Kororareka; arrived at the ship at the going down of the sun. The captain who had been at Tippoonah, and just then arrived at the ship, brought intelligence of Mrs. King being very ill. The doctor consented to go immediately to see her; we accordingly set off, and arrived between ten and eleven o'clock. The doctor saw Mrs. King, and made a favourable report. Slept Mr. Wm. Hall's. We were happy to find Mrs. King somewhat better. Breakfasted at Mr. Hall's, and returned to K.K. Found Capt. Gardner, of the “Mary Hannah,” and Mrs. Beveridge, wife of C.B., of ship “St. Michael,” at my house on a visit to the settlement. They dined and drank tea, and returned in the evening.

I am informed by the natives of the death of another of Shunghie's relations, a chief named Watarou. He had been ill five months, during which time he was constantly fed twice a day from our house with bread and tea. I blistered him for a pain in the chest of which he complained; I also gave him aperient medicines, which seemed for a while to do him good. He was at the fight at the Thames, and there, I have no doubt, he glutted himself with human flesh and human gore, and then laid down perhaps, as is their custom at such times, on the wet ground, in the open air, whereby he caught severe cold. This brought on other things which at length terminated in death.

Two of his wives have been killed on this event; both of them were very fine women; and his head wife has since hung herself.

page 249

A child belonging to a chief named Maka (Moka?) died a few days since, but I cannot learn that any “cookies” were killed on that account.

THURSDAY.—Employed in writing native language, and looking after my sawyers. My little daughter is something better, blessed be God for it.


SUNDAY, DECEMBER 1st. — Divine Service, morning and evening. Administered the Holy Sacrament.

MONDAY.—Writing the whole day.

TUESDAY.—Mr. F. Hall having agreed with Capt. Beveridge, of the ship “St. Michael,” for a passage to Port Jackson. We breakfasted with Mr. F. Hall, Mr. and Mrs. Kemp, and had public prayers for a blessing on the Mission, and on our departing friend, Mr. F. Hall. Afterwards we proceeded to load a canoe and the boat with goods belonging to Mr. F. Hall, and he bid adieu to Kiddee Kiddee.

The natives behaved extremely well on this occasion, and rendered every assistance. We arrived at the ship about three o'clock in the afternoon. After putting things on board, we went to the ship “Mary,” Capt. Rennex, a whaler, just arrived from England. No letters, but Capt. R. informed us we might hourly expect Capt. Brind, who (he said) had letters and other things for the Mission. Mr. Shepherd and myself slept on board the “Maryanna,” and Mr. F. Hall and Mr. Kemp on board the “Mary.”

WEDNESDAY MORNING.—We all set off to Tippoonah for English letters, and to give our friend an opportunity of seeing the brethren and bidding them farewell. Dined at Mr. Wm. Hall's, and then we returned to the ship, offered up our evening sacrifice, recommended each other to the care and protection of our heavenly Father, and towards midnight we retired to rest.

We rose at four on Thursday, December 5th, and the command was given to weigh the anchor and be gone. We remained on board until the ship had proceeded some miles towards the heads, and then we took leave of each other and returned to the settlement. We arrived at Kiddee Kiddee between three and four o'clock in the afternoon.

FRIDAY.—At work with my natives laying the foundation of a barn, forty feet by seventeen.

page 250

SATURDAY.—Morning, at work at the barn; afternoon, in the study.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.—Working at the barn. Have had many neighbouring chiefs to visit us during the last four or five days. Made them some small presents.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY.—Working at the barn.

SATURDAY.—Study. My native workmen go on very well in their several employments. I have fourteen natives fed and instructed as far as I can in religion and agriculture, sowing, fencing.

DECEMBER 15th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Remainder of week at work at the barn.

DECEMBER 19th. — We heard that Capt. Brind had arrived and anchored at Kororareka.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21st.—Mr. Kemp and myself started early this morning for the ship “Asp,” Capt. Brind. We arrived about noon, but were much disappointed on not receiving any letters from the Society. Mr. Brind informed me that he was at the Society house a few days before he sailed, to enquire after letters or anything else the Society might think proper to send to New Zealand. We were very sorry to find that not so much as a line had been sent by him.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.—Working at the barn. By dint of very great exertion in exciting my natives, and working with them almost beyond my strength in the heat of the sun, and by the continual assistance of the Lord, I shall be enabled to complete it in time for the grain.

XMAS DAY.—Divine Service. Administered the Holy Sacrament. Capt. Brind and Capt. Kent came to visit the settlement, and dined at my house, and returned in the evening.

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 26th.—Began reaping of barley; natives reap pretty well, but some of them cut themselves badly in learning to use the sickle; but it is wonderful how soon their flesh heals, even when the wounds are very deep.

FRIDAY.—In the field with the reapers, cutting barley.

SATURDAY.—Chiefly in the study.

page 251

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY.—Digging potatoes and mowing oats.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1st, 1823. .—Mowing oats; my natives in cutting barley.

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—Employed in getting the oats and barley home to the barn.

SATURDAY.—In study; my natives in bringing home grain.

SUNDAY.—Set off early for Ranghie Hoo, to preach and administer the Holy Sacrament. Divine worship, morning and evening, at Mr. Hall's. Mr. and Mrs. Hall, Mr. and Mrs. King, Rev. Mr. Leigh and Mrs. Leigh, Mr. and Mrs. Hansen attended the Holy Sacrament. Slept at Mr. Hall's.

MONDAY, JANUARY 6th.—We arose early, and after breakfast and prayers for the divine blessing, Messrs. Hall, King and Cowell prepared themselves to go with me to Kiddee Kiddee to hold the quarterly committee. Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Leigh accompanied me on a visit to my house to see my little daughter, who is (bless God) now recovering very fast from her late dangerous illness; her speech is restored in a measure, and we hope it will soon be perfectly so. We arrived at Kiddee Kiddee at noon, spent the afternoon in prayer, praise, and making arrangements for committee business.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. — Held the quarterly committee, and other business.

THURSDAY. — Employed in purchasing potatoes for natives, and writing. There are at time a great quantity of natives at our settlement; my place is continually thronged with them. They are very importunate, some for one thing, some for another, we have as many of the chiefs to our table as we can, and we give as much food away besides, as we can possibly spare. In referring to my books and making as fair a calculation as I can (and I am persuaded much within bounds) that during the past year I have given seven hundred and thirty meals of victuals to natives, (the sick and the whole) besides feeding those that I constantly employ.

A large party of natives came to Kiddee Kiddee yesterday from the River Thames; the purpose of their coming is to beg for peace, and to beseech the Napuis (Ngapuhi) not to destroy them this year as they did last. One chief and relation of Enackee (Hinaki) who is dead, named Tee Toee, came to page 252 my house, and with a lamentable voice told me that his son was taken from him and made a slave to a chief of Shukianga, named Kawaddu. The little fellow is a very interesting boy about seven years old, and he is called after my name, John Butler. This name he received at River Thames, when I was at his place. I told him I would do all in my power to redeem him. Poor creature, the tears of joy stood in his eyes at this news, saying, “Ka pai, E Tangata pai.” (Very good, good man). How these poor heathen will succeed in their entreaty with the bloodhounds of this place, is hard to say; they are preparing for war at this time. I understand from Shunghie they intend to go further to the eastward and southward than ever they have been before.

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.—Employed in writing.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 12th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Afternoon, Divine Service among the natives in native language and school.

MONDAY.—Reaping wheat. Natives go on well. Mr. Rewah to breakfast.

14th.—Reaping wheat.

15th.—Reaping wheat until dinner time. After dinner, set off on a journey by water to Tabooata ai, a settlement belonging to Tarrier (Tareha), to purchase potatoes, to feed natives, and to carry on general work for the Society. The distance being sixteen miles, and a strong wind against us, we did not arrive until late at night. I took Mr. Puckey, the carpenter, with me to assist in purchasing, and to take care of the tokis.

We prepared our supper, after which I collected the natives of the place together and my own. We had prayers both in New Zealand and English. The natives were very attentive, and repeated the sentences in N.Zd. correctly. Mr. Puckey and self then went into our canoe, and laid down in it to rest. Being much fatigued, we slept soundly. But about two in the morning heavy rain came on suddenly, and it awoke us, but not until we were very wet indeed, inasmuch as we were lying in it at the bottom of the canoe. We jumped up and took our wet things in our hands, and got on shore to seek for a native hut, (the rain continued to fall very heavy). Mr. Puckey found one small hut, and I another. When I got into it there was nothing but the bare ground to sit or lie upon, and being so wet myself, I began to feel very uncomfortable, but I endeavoured to content myself in two ways; first I thought page 253 myself unworthy of all that mercy and goodness which the Lord manifested toward me, a poor breathing particle in dust; secondly, I knew there was no alternative, the howling wind, the heavy rain, and the darkness of the night forbid any amending. I therefore laid down in my wet clothes on the ground and went to sleep, and slept several hours. When I awoke I felt I cannot tell how, but very sadly to say the least.

The morning became fine and we got tea and broiled fish and potatoes for breakfast, after which I was much refreshed, but having no change of clothes, I was obliged to keep on the wet ones, and let them dry on my back. Tarrier and his people behaved exceeding kind to us, considering them as heathen. I purchased from him fifty buckets potatoes. He then wished me and Mr. Puckey to go to a settlement called Tako, lying by the sea side near Wangaroa, to see some of his friends. This we readily consented to, but being very poorly and very feverish, I was fearful I should not be able to go and return by night, as the journey would be about sixteen miles over a road almost impassable by any but those who are very strong. We set off accompanied by his son and his servant, and two of my men. We passed several villages on the way, and we were very kindly received at every place. We reached Tako about three in the afternoon, and had some conversation with several of the chiefs. This is a large village, and a good deal of cultivation carried on. The chiefs had a great many potatoes in baskets, but I did not purchase any, as they would not attempt to carry them to Mongonui (Tarrier's place), where my canoe was lying, and having no means to obtain them in any other way, I was obliged to leave them. The chiefs were very urgent for us to wait while they cooked some potatoes for us to eat. I thanked them for their kindness, but I told them we could not tarry, lest we should be in the night, and I expected rain, as the air thundered much at this time. We then set off on our way back, and through mercy we reached Mongonui at dusk, and almost ready to drop down with fatigue and faintness, having had no other refreshment than a little water during the journey; and the heat had been excessive through the day.

We got some tea, potatoes and pork, and my men, who had been mending our things, made up our beds in a native hut, consisting of mats and a fishing net. After we had eaten, I was obliged to lie down immediately, and through mercy I had a much better night's rest than I expected, and I arose in the morning much refreshed.

page 254

Tarrier had been a long time begging, and doing all in his power to (induce?) Europeans to live with him, and this being the subject of my morning's discourse with him, after breakfast I asked him to show me the place where he would ask them to dwell, that I might determine as far as I could, as to the eligibility of the spot, together with conveniencees of wood and water. We then got into our canoes and crossed the bay to the place he intends for them, should he be fortunate enough to obtain any.

The situation is exceedingly well adapted for a small settlement; the soil good, and water good, and fish in abundance would swim, as it were, to the very doors of the houses. It has also one peculiar advantage, viz., Tarrier is the only chief in this place, and he has the people entirely under his subjection. It is far otherwise at Kiddee Kiddee, as we have a number of chiefs over whom Shunghie has no authority or control; here we are so situated that he would protect the white people and their property. After some further conversation, I made a present of two hoes to his head wives, and one to his son's wife, and then departed.

Tarrier is peculiarly attached to my son Samuel, and begs earnestly to have him for one, and with two others he says he should be satisfied. I purchased potatoes at several other villages as we came down the river, until my canoe was quite full. There are abundance of natives in every little bay and cove so that the missionaries would, as it were, be surrounded with little towns from one to six miles from their dwellings. Indeed, here is plenty of work for more hands than can possibly be found for many years to come. We arrived at Kide Kide at nine o'clock on Friday evening, thankful for all our mercies.

SATURDAY.—Writing and preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY, 19th JANUARY.—Divine Service, morning and evening; administered the Holy Sacrament. Afternoon, school and prayers in the native language.

MONDAY, 20th.—This morning I have had the heartfelt pleasure of redeeming the little boy belonging to the chief of Mogoea, named Tee Toe, for two axes and a hoe. I was very urgent for his return with the chief who had taken him in the war. He talked about having a gun, but I told him I could not give any such thing, but I must have the child nevertheless, and I urged my name, which he had received, as well as a page 255 father's feelings. I told him that I could not endure the thought of my child being a slave, who was called after my name. He then said he would take the above articles of trade, which were readily paid, took the boy into my house and sent for his father. On presenting his child unto him, he could scarcely speak. I cannot write his feelings, but those who are parents, and have an only son torn from their bosoms by ravages of war, and reduced to slavery for life, to have such a one redeemed by a stranger, and returned to their embrace, at a time when according to their own prospects, there was not the least reason to expect any such thing could take place—if such an unexpected deliverance would overwhelm their hearts, then let them remember that something like this was doubtless the feelings of this poor heathen.

Myself and natives reaping wheat to-day. My wheat this year is thin, on account of a bad winter, but the grain is very good. Barley and oats excellent.

TUESDAY MORNING.—In the harvest field. This morning Capt Moore, of the brig “Woodlark,” came to Kiddee Kiddee to inquire if we wanted any supplies, as he had provisions to sell. Mr. Kemp being out of sugar and other stores, we agreed to purchase:—
12 ¼ cwt. Biscuits at £2716110
42 gallons of Sperm Oil at £50 per ton880
448lbs. Sugar at /71314
10 gallons Vinegar at 5/-2100
2 ¾ gallons Linseed Oil at 15/-209

In the afternoon I went down with Capt. Moore to the brig, in order to see both weight and measure given. Evening coming on, we could not begin business until morning. I therefore drank tea with Capt. Moore, and then went on shore and spent the evening with Rev. Mr. Leigh and Mr. Wm. Hall, and slept at Mr. Hall's. In the night I had a very bad pain come in my left ankle, so that in the morning I could scarcely put my foot to the ground. I had sprained it about a week ago travelling over rocks, but did not feel any particular pain in it until now. Mr. Leigh advised me to have it dressed, but thinking it would work off I refused. After morning prayers and breakfast, Mr. Leigh accompanied me to the ship. The page 256 canoe came from Kiddee Kiddee, and we proceeded to business immediately, and finished about two o'clock. I sent the canoe off immediately, and tarried myself behind for the bills, etc. I drew a bill in the Society's name on Rev. Samuel Marsden for the amount, say £42 11s 1d.

Business being completed, I went on shore, dined with Mr. Leigh, and spent the evening with Mr. and Mrs. Leigh, and Mr. Hall and family. After evening prayer we had some conversation on missionary business, and I desired Mr. Leigh and Mr. Hall to be so good as to give me their opinion respecting New Zealand at the present time. Mr. Leigh said he had carefully noticed what took place (generally) in the native mind since his arrival, and by reflecting on the past, and by reviewing and weighing present appearances, he was led to believe that a change had taken place in the native mind, in favour of the missionaries. Mr. Hall was in the same opinion. I then gave it as my decided opinion that it was so, and from the following circumstances:—

First.—They had ceased to annoy us about guns and powder. They sometimes ask for these, but are not troublesome when denied.
Secondly.—They are not so insolent and hostile to us as they have been.
Thirdly.—Many of the chiefs are anxious to put their children under our care.
Fourthly.—Their general readiness to hear and join in prayer in the vernacular language.

These things, with some others which might be mentioned, are, I trust, a token for good. May the Lord Jesus this glorious day spring from on high, arrive upon these poor benighted heathen, and dispel the darkness from their minds, the ignorance from their hearts, and save them with an everlasting salvation. We then retired to rest, but my foot was so painful, I scarcely had any rest. In the morning, Mr. Hall bathed it in hot water and marshmallow, and Mr. Leigh dressed it with opodeldoc and laudanum.

About noon the canoe returned from Kiddee Kiddee to bring back the bread casks to the “Woodlark.” We got an early dinner at Mr. Hall's. I returned home in the canoe, found Mrs. B. and my little daughter pretty well. My foot continued very painful and much swollen.

page 257

FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY.—My foot was in great agony; not able to perform Divine Service on Sunday.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.—Much better; continued to bathe in opium and opodeldoc.

WEDNESDAY. — Much better, swelling down; able to walk with a stick.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 30th.—This day we finished the harvest, and we gave the poor natives what we call a harvest home. Mrs. Butler made four large plum puddings, and cooked them an excellent feast. We killed a hog on the occasion. They sat down to table, fourteen in number, after the European fashion, each with his knife and fork. I carved for them, and Mrs. Butler was waiting maid. Some of them had never had a knife and fork in their hands before, and you would have laughed to see the way in which they used them.

They behaved themselves with the greatest propriety, and expressed their thanks in the most feeling manner.

Afterwards I paid them for their labour in axes, etc., and discharged several for the present, having little food. They went away very reluctantly, and were anxious to know when they might return.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31st.—This morning sent part of my men to gather shells for lime, others to pulling weeds, burning fern, etc.

SATURDAY.—In the study, preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY.—Divine Service, M. & E. Afternoon, service and school among the natives.

MONDAY, TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.—Busy burning and sifting lime; got about eighty bushels. My working natives go on remarkably well. Most of the natives are gone away to war towards the East Cape of New Zealand. Shunghie is expected to go in a few days. I have one of his little daughters in my house learning to read, sew, etc.

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—Writing native language. My natives at work in the garden and sawing timber. Mr. — came to Shunghie's place on Saturday at Kiddee Kiddee to bring him a present consisting of a red shawl, but this I have learned since is not the principal thing intended. His intention was to poison Shunghie's mind afresh against me in the following manner. Mr. —— has received from Mr. page 258 Nicholas a letter, the contents of which I do not know. Mr. —— took occasion from it to inform Shunghie that I had been writing against him to all the friends at the Missionary House. Being informed of this by another chief who heard Shunghie say among his own people and strangers that Mr. —— had brought him a letter which contained an account of what I had written against him, and against Mr. ——. I therefore judged it necessary to go and speak to Shunghie on the subject. I also took with me Mr. Shepherd to witness what passed. I told Shunghie I was sorry to hear that he was displeased with me, and should be glad to know what it was for. He then sat down, and began to relate his voyage to England, saying that Mr. Butler and Mr. Marsden had written to England to say to the Society, “Give Shunghie and Wykato two or three axes each, or an article of each sort of principal tools.” He then told us what the Society did for him, and declared his satisfaction; next, what Mr. Mortlock did for him, and what a quantity of things Mr. Nicholas gave him, with a fine gun, saying they were good men. He then began to speak of what took place on his return, concerning the several robberies committed. He next said that I had forwarded an account of them to the Society, and had written against him and against Mr. ——, and that he was further informed that the Society was going to send a ship to take us all away in consequence thereof; and send another to redress our wrongs upon them; that Mr. Nicholas had sent this information with some presents to him and other chiefs. I told him that the Society expected that they would be kind to us, or at least not plunder or torment us.

If we went away it would be on account of this ill-usage to us; but that the Society had any intention to send a ship to fight or destroy them was very false. After some further conversation Shunghie seemed satisfied with our answer and information, and we came away. In the course of the conversation, Shunghie often spake in the highest terms of Mr. Nicholas, but very coldly of the Society. Thus, while the Society spend many hundreds in a year upon them, a single individual who makes a few trifling presents to one or two natives, is set up and thought more of than the Society itself. I do not find fault with any person for making a present to a poor native. No! by no means, but I abominate the very idea of any private letter being made a handle of to lessen the credit of the Society, or to prejudice the minds of the heathen against their servants, and that Mr. —— should make this use of Mr. Nicholas' letter is shocking to think on. But this he has done.

page break

SATURDAY.—In the study, preparing for the Sabbath.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 9th.—Divine Service, morning; afternoon, school and prayers with the natives.

MONDAY, TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. — White-washing and painting. There are many natives coming daily from different parts to Kiddee Kiddee to join Shunghie in his war expedition. I have some of the chiefs at my house every day, and I have been obliged to make several presents among them of axes, etc., etc.