Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Earliest New Zealand



AUGUST 23rd, THURSDAY.—Received a letter from Mr. Wm. Hall, acknowledging his fault at the timber ground, in the following words:—

Revd. and Dear Sir,

I write these few lines hoping they will meet with your compassionate consideration. I am heartily sorry for the misunderstanding that took place between Samuel and myself at the timber ground, etc.

After such an acknowledgment as this, I am heartily sorry that I have written the words of Mr. Shepherd and Mr. Butler to the Society; if I could have conveniently taken them from my journal they should not have appeared.

I have also received a letter from Captain Thompson, of the brig “Active,” dated Sydney, April 14th, 1821.

page 164
Prince Street, SYDNEY,
14th April, 1821.

Revd. and Dear Sir,

I beg to inform you that the draft for £2 15s 9d, which I received from you on account of timber supplied the settlement by Mr. King, Mr. Marsden has refused to pay. I am sorry to say that the Society's concerns go on here in a very curious way at present. To-morrow morning I expect to sail for the Derwent on a fishing voyage. I suppose the “Active” will return to you when she comes from the Derwent, but if things remain in their present state, it is not my intention to sail in her any longer. Please make my respects to Mrs. Butler and your son Samuel, to Mr. and Mrs. Kemp, to Mr. Francis Hall, and I remain,

Dear Sir,
Yours respectfully,



The draft is as follows:—

Nov. 8th, 1819.


Please to pay Capt. Thompson the sum of two pounds fifteen shillings for timber received from Mr. King, according to the above date, for and on account of the Church Missionary Society.

Your obedt. servant,


To the Rev. Saml. Marsden,
N.S. Wales.

Endorsed—Mr. Marsden declines to sanction the payment of this draft.



10th March, 1821.

Now how to assign a reason for Mr. Marsden's thus acting I am at an entire loss. Is the bill unjust? then I ought to be punished. Is it a just demand? then Mr. Marsden ought to have paid it; and in not doing so, he has done enough to wound the feelings of every honest heart, as well as making me look extremely mean, at least. When Mr. Marsden came down to New Zealand with us in the “General Gates,” he saw the timber in question, and promised payment to Mr. King in my presence. But after he and Mr. King fell out, he turned Mr. King over into my hands, saying he wished me to take charge of Mr. King and his concerns, and further he would not answer any bills drawn by Mr. King, except they had my signature affixed to them; but he also assured me that whatever bills page 165 I drew on him for the purpose of carrying on the Society's work, he would answer and pay. I considered Mr. King's demand a just one, on account of timber, and gave him a promissory note for the payment of the same. It happened that Mr. King had need of things which Capt. Thompson had to spare when in New Zealand, and for which he wished me to give a draft on Mr. Marsden for the timber received. This I accordingly did, and for which Mr. Marsden has refused to pay. There were fifteen logs, and all of them exceeding good. I well remember that one log turned out upwards of seven hundred feet of boards. The whole was sawn, and was applied to building the store, in which my family, Messrs. Bean, Fairburn and Puckey now reside. The whole was bought with powder and half a musket, the other half of the purchase for the musket being mats; those Mr. King kept.

This being the case, it will lead me to a painful explanation of circumstances which I intended never to bring into public notice.

In this case, Mr. Marsden acts with partiality and injustice. He bought two muskets off Mr. Wm. Hall, and twenty pounds of powder, and paid him for his timber bought with the same sort of payment. These muskets were laid out for the purchase of pork, for the general good of the settlement; and powder in payment for sawing of timber, purchase of potatoes, as well as fifty-six more of powder purchased by Mr. Marsden of Mr. Wm. Hall…. . Mr. Hall's account I have by me; these things have never appeared in the public minutes, everyone knowing that the whole world would condemn the issue thereof. Moreover, Mr. Marsden bought four casks of powder at Port Jackson at the time we arrived there of the ship “Baring,” Capt. Lamb, I understand, at 2s 3d per pound, weighing, I believe, two hundredweight. This was done without any application on our part. I had no gun, and was therefore not in need of powder. These were shipped by his order, and brought down to New Zealand, and turned into the common stock or store, and part of same he delivered with his own hand to Shunghee and Rewah, when he bought the land at Kiddee Kiddee. To Shunghee he delivered a large kettle full; it was put into the kettle and filled until it ran over. To Rewah he gave half a gallon, in a beer measure, but neither the one nor the other was inserted in the deeds. The rest was disposed of in the purchase of pork, potatoes, and in payment of timber, sawing, etc., etc.

page 166

At this time Mr. Kendall had a quantity of pork to dispose of, say twelve to a ton, which had been purchased with powder and muskets; this he purchased for himself, and took away to Port Jackson, altho' when he left there was not more than a fortnight's pork in the store.

At the very time he held a committee, saying he would not allow the sale of muskets and powder any longer. There was then about one hundredweight of powder in the store, which was bought and put there by himself. Moreover, I asked him at the committee pointedly, what I was to do as superintendent, in case the settlement was without meat, and could not obtain it without guns; he answered, “I will not buy them for you; but you must do the best you can, and I will answer your bills.”

Not to say anything of the disgraceful trick of dishonouring my bill, but I think it a shame that he should pay one man and not another.

Moreover, Mr. Marsden would be thought not to encourage or even permit the sale of any war implements, when it is clear he was the first man who ever bartered with such things.

When he first came down to New Zealand, he purchased a quantity of potatoes and flax on the beach at Rangihoo for a musket; the testimony I had from Mr. Hall, and Mr. King, and Mr. Kendall; also that the “Active's” cargo was bought with a musket, or muskets and powder; and further, that Mr. Marsden afterwards sent down to New Zealand fifty-one bayonets at one time, seventeen of which Mr. King received as his portion, to barter with to the natives for potatoes.

My foreman, Tywongah, was pierced with a bayonet fastened to the end of a spear. These sort of things are most terrific weapons, and therefore the natives are excessively fond of them. And further, when Mr. Marsden was here with the “Dromedary,” he informed me that a gentleman at the University of Oxford had applied to him for native head or heads, and he signified his desire for obtaining a skull or two without hair. I must confess (tho' I said nothing), it appeared a strange and unnatural thing to me. However, he employed Mr. Wm. Hall to go to the village of Rangee Hoo to see if he could purchase such a thing. I am credibly informed that before he left New Zealand he purchased two native heads.

One head he purchased of one of my native sawyers, who journeyed with him to New Zealand. I saw the head in the page 167 native's possession before he took it on board, and when he came back I asked him what he had done with the head, and he said he had sold it to Mr. Marsden for an axe. He then showed me an axe, which he said he got in payment for the head.

I make no comment on these things; I leave them for others.

As superintendent, I sold the two guns and powder for supplies for the settlement, which were furnished by Mr. Marsden, except such as my brethren paid for work, etc., etc., but I never bought an ounce myself, or paid away any, besides what he put into the store. I have always manifested my utter detestation of such traffic, and I have not issued a single grain since the last committee held for the prohibition thereof, which is now about sixteen months ago, and I am determined to leave New Zealand rather than deal in such things.

This afternoon Mr. Kendall arrived at Kiddee Kiddee with Mr. Kemp; we were glad to see Mr. Kendall that we might enquire into the extraordinary conduct of Shunghee. Mr. Kendall went and brought Shunghee down, and when we were all together, an explanation, or rather a declaration, was made by Shunghee, as follows:— First he charged me with doing what I could to hinder him from going to England. I told him this was true, and that we all wished him not to go. But the reason of our doing so, I said, was because we loved him and his family, and people, and we were afraid the cold weather in England would kill him. He said that my words were all nonsense, and that we wished to hinder him getting muskets and powder.

He then charged me with writing a bad letter to the Missionary House. I told him this was false; I did not write at all. He then said Mr. Marsden wrote a bad letter to England about Mr. Kendall and him.

He also stated that after they had got to sea, Mr. Kendall showed a letter which was no good; it was an order for axes and such things, but no powder or muskets, and he snatched it out of his hand, and tore it up, and threw it overboard. I told him I knew nothing about it.

He then went on and told a long story concerning the bad language he met with in England, (what he meant by bad language is that your Society spake against their having powder and muskets). Wykato, being here, I asked him what page 168 he had to say about it, and he replied that the people at the Waree Karrakeeah are bad, and the Karrakeeah itself, was no good for the New Zealand man.

Mr. Shunghee then went on concerning the treatment they met with at Port Jackson on their return, and said they were very angry with Mr. Marsden because, as they consider, they did not use them well. He then said he told Mr. Marsden he would send me away from New Zealand as soon as he got down.

I told him if it was on account of the powder and muskets, I was willing to go, as I never more would sell or give away the one or the other. He said it was good for me to go away. I told him that if I went, I hoped he would let me take my property away. No answer. He now acknowledged that he told his people it would be very good to rob and plunder Mr. Puckey. We all expressed our sorrow at this, and told him we had been very kind to his family in his absence. He said that was very good, and after a good deal of desultory discourse, he set off to his place.

From these few facts you may learn something of the dreadful prejudice of Shunghee's mind. This must certainly have been instilled into his mind by Brother Kendall. To use the words of Mr. Shepherd and Mr. F. Hall, it really is a sad thing, and Mr. Kendall has done more harm in this thing and taking Shunghee to England, than he will do good in his lifetime. Having now begun to break into our dwellings in midday, our property or persons can no longer be secure a moment.

After Shunghee was gone, we sat down and had some conversation to see how to act in this dreadful business. Mr. Kendall pleaded for the sale of these things, and said he would sell a musket as soon as he would a dollar, without any reference to what they might do with it. Now this quite upsets everything, for if one of the Society's servants sells these forbidden things, and the rest do not, it would be a moral impossibility for them to stop, because he who gratifies the natural desires of the savage hearts, he and he only is the man for them. Such a one will be called the great Rangaterah, while all the rest will be insulted and robbed, and plundered without mercy.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 24th.—This morning Shunghee sent sixteen hogs to Mr. Kendall, and some mats; these are for a double-barreled gun. Set off with Mr. Kendall for Rangee Hoo, to visit Mr. Wm. Hall's little daughter, dangerously ill. page 169 When I arrived I found her in an exceeding weak state, and reduced almost to a skeleton. The child seemed to be very glad at my friendly visit, and revived at the little attention and encouragement I endeavoured to administer.

I then visited Mr. King's family, and drank tea with them. While we were at tea, Mrs. King, who had been seriously ill, but was considerably recovered, was taken suddenly ill. She fainted, and Mr. King and I were obliged to carry her and lay her on the bed. She revived a little, and then went off into a sinking fit, sometimes struggling, and at other times almost lifeless. I remained about two hours, when she seemed a little recovered, and I left them and went to Mr. Kendall's to sleep.

SUNDAY MORNING.—After breakfast and prayer, I paid another visit to Mr. Hall's little daughter, and Mr. King's family, and was glad to find Mrs. K. better, but very low; the little girl much the same. After these things, I returned to Kiddee Kiddee. Afternoon, reading, etc.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 26th, 1821.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, 27th AUGUST.—Writing the whole day, many natives prowling about like evening wolves, but little damage has been done to-day.

TUESDAY, 28th AUGUST, 1821.—This morning, Captain Graham, of ship “Catherine,” whaler, came to Kiddee Kiddee, bringing his mate and steward, to make three affidavits in favour of a Mr. Clark, of the ship “General Gates,” concerning a quarrel between him and Capt. Riggs, of the said ship.

As the boat touched the shore, the natives rushed down on the men, and took away everything they could lay their hands on, as provisions, clothes, etc., among which were a new jacket and pair of trousers, and a waistcoat front, belonging to Bean and Fairburn, carpenters, which had been sent on board the “Catherine” to be made up. At this time Shunghee was in the midst of them, but he never opened his lips. Shunghee turned into Mr. Bean's house, and I remonstrated with several of the chiefs, who laughed and said if I would pay them, they would see what they could do to get them back.

In about an hour, Messrs. Bean and Fairburn's things were brought back. The native who had the jacket went vaunting into his place with it on his greasy back, but they were obliged to give an axe and a knife before they would give them up—indeed, they wanted four axes.

page 170

In the afternoon another boat came to Kiddee Kiddee, belonging to the “Vansittart,” whaler, to a place a little distant from the settlement. They purchased a lot of pigs with a musket, and after they had got them into the boat, the natives dragged them out again, and would have succeeded in getting them all away, had not Rewah stood their friend. He had a sharp scuffle with several of them in the water. He endeavoured to pull them away by the hair of their heads.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29th, 1821.—This morning Mrs. Fairburn was safely delivered of a fine girl. Mrs. Butler attended her, and I am happy to say that the mother and child are likely to do well. This morning the natives behaved very bad; they got over a seven-foot fence into the place where the carpenters are at work building my house, and took from them one hand-saw, one hammer, one gimlet. They were obliged immediately to leave off work, and carry as many of the tools as they could collect indoors. They now came to me to consult me upon the propriety of detaining a ship, and of obtaining assistance and protection from the rest, as there were seven whalers in the harbour at this time; in order to get safe away with our property. I told them we must endeavour to keep our ground a little longer, and that work had better be dropped until the natives were gone away to fight.

About noon two boats came to the settlement to deal for pork, having Thos. Hansen, the man who was formerly employed by Mr. Marsden, for an interpreter. They bought two lots for two muskets, and returned.

I conferred with Mr. F. Hall and Mr. Kemp about enquiring of the present captain of the “Sarah,” named Hunter, who took the command at Port Jackson, as Capt. Munro died there, about Kendall's conduct during the voyage. Captain Hunter was mate of the “New Zealander,” on her voyage to England with Shunghee and Wykato, and Mr. Kendall.

I went down to Pirroah, in a boat belonging to the “Indian,” which put me on board the “Sarah.” I had some conversation with Capt. Hunter and Mr. Munro (son of the deceased), chief mate of the “Sarah,” concerning Shunghee and Wykato's behaviour on board.

They both testified that their behaviour was exceeding bad, and that Mr. Kendall encouraged them in it. Wykato, they declared, would have killed the cook, had not Capt. Hunter run to his assistance in a moment. They further stated page 171 that Mr. Kendall (they were sure and certain), did all in his power to prejudice their minds against me, and against Mr. Marsden, as men who stopped the sale of muskets and powder, and in every other possible way.

When the “Sarah” first came into the Bay of Islands, Capt. Munro sent for me to go and see him, as he was then very ill. I went to see him, and Mr. F. Hall accompanied me. I also gave him a milk goat, in order to afford him a little comfort. We found him very ill, and I was afraid I should not have another opportunity, our conversation being on religious subjects, and the vast importance of the salvation of the soul, and eternity. The poor old gentleman was much pleased with me, and my brother Hall, and thanked us heartily for the instruction and comfort we attempted to administer to him.

In speaking of his voyage home, he complained most bitterly of Mr. Kendall's conduct, for he not only personally insulted him himself, but encouraged the natives to do it also. He went on in that sort of strain, until both of us were ashamed.

It being now evening, Capt. Graham sent for me to go and take supper with him, which request I complied with. I did not let anyone know my errand, neither did I think it prudent to enquire how much powder or how many guns Mr. Kendall had furnished him with since his return from England, inasmuch as I well knew he had furnished him with both. However, I saw on the ship's deck an empty powder cask, and asked one of the men where they got it when full. He readily answered, “From Mr. Kendall's.”

THURSDAY, AUGUST 30th.—This morning, Mr. Clark, formerly of the ship “General Gates,” came to fetch me on board the “Cumberland” in order to have two affidavits made in his favour by Capt. Brend and Capt. Wyer. I went with him, and intended to proceed to Kiddee Kiddee as soon as the business was over; but a gale of wind came on and detained me prisoner until Saturday morning, when Capt. Wyer kindly brought me home.


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 2nd.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Administered the Holy Sacrament.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd.—Writing the whole day. Shunghee and two of his sons dined with me this day; his page 172 fury and malice seem to be a little abated. He was in a very good humour, and said all was peace now; but I do not think he will ever be right until he has a magazine of muskets and powder at all times to go to. He seems very averse to anything that is good; he says it is not good for his children to learn to read and write.

The natives are peaceable and quiet to-day; but how long it will last it is hard to say. The carpenters and sawyers have resumed their work, and going on with my house. Our trials are great and numberless; we have great need of being strong in faith, in order to stand fast and give glory to God. Blessed he His holy Name, he sitteth between the Cherubims, be earth never so unquiet. He is our strength and weakness. He is our refuge in the needful time of trouble. He is our health in sickness, and life in death.

TUESDAY.—Writing the whole day. The natives have been very troublesome; they have been exercising their war canoes the most part of the day.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th.—This morning, Shunghee, Rewah, and several other chiefs came and breakfasted with me, and several others got over my fence and stole an axe, and my sawyers' food from them, as they were eating at the door. I endeavoured to reason with them, but that was no use.

It may be seen that Shunghee has become so intolerably insolent since his return from England, that he not only comes into our place without leave himself, but on his account the very “cookeys” are saucy to the last degree. What the end will be, I do not know, time will shew. This day, about noon, Shunghee, Rewah, and all their chiefs set off on a war expedition to the River Thames—indeed, the whole country for a hundred miles or more, are already on their way, and Shunghee and Rewah, and Wykato, and their men, are the last, in order to bring up the rear.

The general place of assemblage is Wangahree, about one hundred miles from the place of action.

There has never been anything like such an arrangement in New Zealand before. Tooi, Teteree, and all their friends are in the general onset. Shunghee and Wykato have returned from England with a great quantity of guns, swords, powder, balls, daggers, etc., etc., etc., and thus they are fully armed to murder, kill and destroy, without reserve, which is the highest pitch of glory to a savage of New Zealand! ! !

page 173

I have the names of persons, savages, to whom Mr. Kendall has disposed of twenty-one guns and two pistols, besides others whose names I know not.


To Raku and his wife 3
To Wharrie Pork (Whare Poaka) 1
To Maku 1
To Dudungah 1 and 1 pistol
To Kiddee pido 1 and 1 pistol
To Kidar Waiheeno (Kira) 1
To Jackey Terrah 2
To Whahienu warro 1
To Mowhunnah 1
To Tadenanah and brother 2
To Tohedeedee 1
To Shunghie 1 for his watch.
To O'Gunnah (Horiokuna) 1
To Wharemokiki 1
To A Towah 1
To Torrah 1
To Teteree 1

This is heartbreaking work, especially when it is considered they are going to destroy a harmless and defenceless people, to cut off every living creation, the husband with the mother and child sucking at the breast, and to feast on them with a sanguinary and savage delight too dreadful to think on. We are all persuaded that there are a little less than a thousand stand of arms amongst them on this occasion, with plenty of ammunition.

I asked Rewah this morning if they intended to save any of the people alive. He said there would be very few saved, if any, and they would be women and boys.

He said a warrior would save a woman for a wife, but every woman that was saved must be of particular beauty. Little boys would in some measure be spared, as they could bring them up as slaves, and as they grew they would have neither knowledge of their father or mother, or any enmity against them.

I then asked him if there were any chiefs they wished in particular to kill, and he named to me eight, viz.:—Henac- page 174 kee, To Tohee, Kowou and his brother, Hiwahkar, Moodeepang, Matohee, Potehorah, and all the people.

Mr. Marsden and myself, in our journey to Mogoia, Manakau, and Kiperro, were through the several districts belonging to the above people, and as I have before observed, we were treated with the greatest kindness at every place.

THURSDAY, 6th.—This morning took a walk round my farm, and am happy to say the growing crops look very well. Afternoon, writing. James Boyle, saltmaker, came to Kiddee Kiddee in a boat belonging to the “Indian.” His house has been burnt down, and his property most of it destroyed, or stolen by a party of natives going to this fight at the River Thames. It appears he was not on shore when the business took place, but on board the ship “Catherine.” He had gone thither to inform Capt. Graham that a man by the name of Johnson had run away from his ship, and come to his place, but he had left a man named Ferguson, a sailor, to keep the saltworks going until his return. He states that when he arrived, he found the house burnt to the ground, and a ton or more of salt destroyed, and most of his trade and other property gone. He brought up the man to my place, whom he had left in charge in his absence, who made the following statement on oath:

I, James Ferguson, do hereby make oath in the presence of Almighty God, that on Saturday morning, September 1st, 1821, between two and three o'clock, a fire broke out in a slave's house adjoining to the house of James Boyle, saltmaker, but do not know how it came on fire. I could have quenched the flames, only, in attempting to do this, the natives pushed me away with the water in my hand, and immediately they rushed into the dwelling of James Boyle, and stole everything they could get hold on, and when the flames became so strong as to prevent them stopping in the house any longer, they set to knock down the fowls out of the trees, and wasted them in the fire, and took some away. I have been at work for James Boyle for some time, and believe there was 30 cwt. of salt in the house at the time it took fire, most of which was destroyed. The natives that committed the deed were strangers going on a war expedition.


(X) His mark.

Sworn before me this fifth day of September in the year of our Lord 1821.


page 175

James Boyle, of course, expects the Society to make good his loss.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7th. — This morning we were again thrown into alarm by a report brought that the natives down the river were shooting our cattle. Mr. F. Hall, myself, my son and the carpenters and our native sawyers, set off immediately to see if the news was correct. On our arrival we found that the cattle had been shot at, but the man of whom we enquired, said it was only by blank cartridge. He further said that it was on purpose to drive them away. We told them that, as the cattle were not trespassing on their farms or near their dwellings, and that it was impossible that they should do them any injury on account of a deep river between them, therefore we did not like they should do this even out of sport. We then left them and returned home to dinner. Afternoon, writing. Sent away my son, Samuel Butler, James Boyle, and a crew of natives to the saltworks, to fetch away such part of the salt as was saved from the general conflagration.

In the evening, the natives, whom we sent after the cattle, returned, bringing the herd, four of which had calved within a few days. If the natives would leave us alone, we should very soon be independent of them for any supplies, and have plenty to dispose of besides.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8th.—In the morning in the garden; afternoon, reading and writing.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 10th.—This morning my son and myself, and a party of natives, set off down the river to cut wood for to burn lime, to build chimney to the house now erecting for my family. Cut six canoe loads. Mr. Kendall came up in the afternoon and remained all night for the benefit of his health, being very poorly. In the evening I was taken very ill with a pain in the stomach; took a strong dose of calomel and rhubarb, and the next morning found myself much relieved.

TUESDAY MORNING.—Spent with Mr. Kendall in conversation about missionary business; afternoon, took a walk, being very poorly. The remaining part of the week I have been attending to burning of lime, gardening, etc.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

page 176

SATURDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 22nd.—This week I have been with my son and Mr. Puckey very busy employed in lining a kitchen to my house now building, and erecting a chimney. In the course of another week I hope it will be tenable, and then I shall be a little more comfortable, and my family.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Churched Mrs. Fairburn.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29th.—This week we have been going on with the kitchen and some outhouses. I have moved my family into the kitchen, altho' it is not finished, there being no window or upper floor at present. However, this is much more comfortable than the wretched place I lived in before.

My native sawyers and servants during the last fortnight wrought very hard, and rendered me every assistance in their power. I have now three native girls and ten young men employed.

The settlement has been very quiet ever since Shunghee and his mob went away to fight at the River Thames. The growing crops look remarkably well at this time, as well as my garden.

SEPTEMBER 30th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Christened Mrs. Fairburn's child—Elizabeth Fairburn.

MONDAY, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.—Held the first quarterly committee, and transacted the general business of the Mission.


SUNDAY.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

Administered the Holy Sacrament.

And now, Dear Sir, permit me to conclude these remarks. I have written them in order to shew you how I have been obliged to spend my time, rather than for anything interesting that I may suppose contained therein.

Dr. Sir, I remain your ever affectionate and faithful servant,


To the Rev. Josiah Pratt,
C.M.S., London Copied and sent by the “Cumberland,” Capt. Brend, Nov., 1821. page 177 KIDDEE KIDDEE,
October 10th, 1821.

Revd. and Dear Sir,

I have to acknowledge receipt of your kind and affectionate letter dated London, Nov. 27th, 1820, also of a general letter to the missionaries and settlers, and the instructions of the Committee relative to the future proceedings of the missionaries, schoolmasters, and settlers, etc., etc. But your letter of the 20th July, I have not received. The instructions, as you will observe, were read, and thankfully accepted at the quarterly meeting, and from my heart I hope they may be acted upon faithfully and truly, by every servant of the Society.

However, I can speak for one, that is myself, that it shall, and not only will be my duty, but my study and desire to fulfil and adhere to all instructions given by the Society.

There is one thing in the instructions which I think deserves particular notice, that is, the request of a report in writing from each missionary, schoolmaster, etc., etc., to be signed and delivered at quarterly meetings; and also the indents of articles wanted, stating specifically the objects for which they are designed; this will preclude the necessity of their being opened at Port Jackson, which is considered by all missionaries as a great evil. It will also encourage everyone to go on with his particular department, while it calls upon him to give an answer of his work.

For my own part, I should wish all indents to pass through Mr. Marsden's hands, or any other gentleman the Society may think fit to appoint. But I do not think any individual at Port Jackson can be a competent judge of all and every article that may be wanted in New Zealand. All things that are wanted from Port Jackson, Mr. Marsden will be able to judge of the expediency, according to the indent, and objects for which they are designed. But not so for articles wanted from England. In this land of uncertainty and difficulty, the missionary who is on the spot is the only man who is able to give any tolerable idea of what may be wanted, in order to carry on the great work which he has undertaken. If he be a faithful man, he will not put the Society to a farthing expense beyond what is absolutely necessary.

If he be an unfaithful servant, the sooner he is got rid of the better, and as every man likes to feel his station, so everyone wishes to be entrusted with such things as may enable him to carry on his particular branch of doing good to the poor benighted heathen. On this account I think the Society have at length hit upon a plan which will meet the wishes of every one of the servants, while it will lay the strongest obligation on everyone to do his duty.

The New Zealand Mission is peculiar from any other of the Society's missions. In short, New Zealand is covered over with fern, and weeds, and brush, and woods, and the natives are covered with lice and filth to the last degree, and they are a proud, savage, and obstinate, and cruel race of cannibals withal. Every missionary has a great deal of heavy labour to perform, and many provocations to undergo, before he does anything according to the religious world.

Mr. Marsden sent down a letter to New Zealand, (which is enclosed), proposing to pay everyone a specific sum annually for his services. This I consider as another good thing, someone or other has at all page 178 times felt himself more or less injured by the issuing of rations; but on the present plan everyone will have to procure for himself; and this will cause some to look out a little sharper than they have heretofore. Everyone, as you will see, gave in his statement at the quarterly meeting what he considered a sufficient annual salary.

I have drawn a bill on you, Sir, for £200, for one year's salary, being the same as Mr. Kendall receives, and payable to Mr. Broughton, which you will have the goodness to honour and pay when it becomes due.

I handed the public letter to all the brethren, and read it at the quarterly meeting.

All regulations that have been sent by the Society have been calculated to promote harmony, peace, and goodwill if they had been strictly adhered to, but we know nothing of humility, everyone is jealous lest another should obtain a fish-hook more than himself, or that another should have a leaf in the wreath that adorns his brow, more than themselves, however hard he may have laboured to obtain it. With respect to muskets and powder, I must be plain in saying that I do not think they will cease being issued, altho' it may not be done by choice, yet I am persuaded that it will be done; and further, I do consider that the repairing of old muskets is equal to the selling of new ones, inasmuch as a musket which is out of repair is of no use. I have never heard of any ships touching on this coast bartering or introducing spirituous liquors among the natives. I believe, generally speaking, they have none to spare, and are often very short.

I am very happy to see that the Society have given agriculture a consideration, inasmuch as I am persuaded that at some future day it will be the grand means of carrying on great and blessed work in which we are engaged. In a land like this that produces nothing of itself, there must, of necessity, be everything to do, in order to provide the comforts and necessaries of life, and these cannot be obtained in any other way.

The horses are doing well, and the cattle are doing well at this time. I should like to know whether the horses and cattle are Mr. Marsden's or the Society's; however I have done all in my power to preserve them. I have had a lad continually minding them for many months. You mention a supply of all kinds of stores as being forwarded, and desire the utmost economy, care, and prudence in the expenditure thereof.: All that I can say on this part of the business, that Mr. Marsden sent a quantity of stores down to N.Z. by Mr. Kendall, to his care, for the use of the settlement at R. Hoo, and also a quantity for Kiddee Kiddee, directed to Mr. F. Hall. I assisted all in my power to get the same to Kiddee Kiddee, and they are all placed at the disposal of Mr. F. Hall.

Whatever I lay our for timber, sawing, food, or in any other way whatever, yea even a fish-hook, I cannot obtain without giving a written order for it. You may think this astonishing, but I will show you as much as I know of the cause of this edict ere I close this letter.

When I arrived in New Zealand, I was placed in the most difficult position by Mr. Marsden. He framed rules and regulations at Port Jackson, which we brought with us, and which were read and adopted at the first committee. But there was not a single person who did not in a very short time manifest a determination not to follow or be led by them.

page 179

The first thing to be done was to look out for a spot to settle, and Mr. Marsden proposed Kiddee Kiddee, which we readily agreed to. On this spot the fern was growing seven feet high. Now, if you consider that the same must be cleared, and all the timber for building to be fetched from twenty-five to thirty miles, you must be convinced that somebody must do a great deal of work. Now it fell to my lot to look after it, according to Mr. Marsden's request. We were obliged to build a hut before we could do anything else. Mr. F. Hall being chosen secretary and storekeeper, he did not go very often out of his department. Mr. Kemp went to work at his trade in Mr. Kendall's shop, and the carpenters to preparing some stuff that was already sawn.

Mr. Marsden ordered me to request Messrs Gordon and Carlisle to go with me into the wood, to cut trees for the punt, and to burn charcoal for the blacksmith. This they refused to do, saying that they did not come to New Zealand for any such purpose, neither to work or labour themselves, but only to teach the natives, but at that time we were hard set to get natives, as I objected to pay them in powder.

Mr. King said he could not, nor would he perform such work and labour, and Mr. Kendall pleaded incapability, and pleaded to be excused.

Mr. Marsden also ordered me to have a bell rung in the morning and at dinner time, in order to call all hands to work; this gave great offence to all the missionaries, and rendered me odious in their sight, saying they were not convicts.

However, I was determined to follow Mr. Marsden's plan of forwarding the work as far as possible.

I next applied to Mr. Marsden for more strength, and he engaged Thos. Hansen and James Boyle, the saltmaker, to assist me.

The “Active” came, and brought down more cattle, and Mr. Marsden hired a third man, named Richard Russell.

The punt being finished, we took a quantity of sawn stuff for Kiddee Kiddee, for the carpenters to build a blacksmith's shop and storehouse.

I kept working the punt backwards and forwards for some months, generally making one of the crew myself, and sometimes out on the water all night.

I set on as many natives to fetch timber, clear the ground, as possible, etc., etc.

Mr. Wm. Hall at this time did what he could to forward the work, and we soon got the pair of sawyers going at Kidee.

Toward the end of the month of December, the present store was covered in, and we determined to go to our station. Mr. Hall and Mr. Kemp choosed to have the house which is intended for a blacksmith's shop, and myself and all the carpenters turned into the store, altho' it had no ground or upper floor.

The next thing was to build a dwelling house for someone. Mr. Kemp said he thought Mr. Hall's house ought to be built first, as Mr. Marsden had not brought down a single nail, which was the case, for any purpose, and Mr. F. Hall had them of his own.

I thought I had as fair a claim as anyone for a house, but I did not object, and Messrs. Hall and Kemp's house was begun.

page 180

On 27th February, H.M.S. “Dromedary” came into the harbour, having on board the Revd. Samuel Marsden.

The first thing Mr. Marsden did for me was to take away Mr. Wm. Hall to act as interpreter for them, and to assist in procuring timber, and from that day to the present moment, Mr. Wm. Hall has done but very little at Kiddee Kiddee.

Now this was not very pleasant to me to see Mr. Hall walking the “Dromedary's” deck as a gentleman, and myself left with the burden of the work, and while he was receiving many things for his services, I was working hard for the Society, and living almost out of doors.

Instead, therefore, of having nothing to do but a general superintendence, I have been actually engaged in the most slavish part of the building department up to the present day. Nor was I at all better in the victualling department, for the old servants of the Society could not bear the thought of being rationed. They immediately turned sulky, and would render me no assistance in procuring supplies. I was therefore compelled to buy the hogs, etc., potatoes for both settlements, as well as for all natives employed, and was continually meeting with insult and ill-will. Mr. F. Hall served other meat to the Europeans, but then it was always prepared ready for him.

I spoke of this to Mr. Marsden, and he said that Mr. Hall had nothing to do with procuring supplies for the stores. I had great trouble to procure pork and potatoes, and especially as muskets and powder were ordered to be stopped. My little shed also, which I had built to cook in, was more like a butcher's shop, with meat about and filth, than anything else, and, to say the least, it rendered Mrs. Butler wretched, while other women were sitting at home in comfortable houses, with little to do, and she was obliged to become slave for the whole, and moreover, I have frequently had the meat sent back, saying it was not good, but it is true and certain it was always the best I could get. At other times I have been charged with keeping the best joints for my own use; this is very false, for we have ever gone without fresh meat, in order to serve the settlement. We had a survey on meat sent back, by Mr. Marsden, who declared it to be as good as need be.

I have often thought of the words of Moses, “Why chide ye me; Lord, what have I done unto this people, they be almost ready to stone me?”

At length I told Mr. Marsden that something must be done, as it was impossible to go on after that fashion; it was too much both for Mrs. Butler and myself. It was then proposed for everyone to take as much trade as was sufficient to purchase pork and potatoes, and let each provide for himself. This plan eased the burden from my shoulders, and gave general satisfaction.

Mrs. Butler and myself have had many a heartache on account of the victualling department.

With respect to the agriculture department, when Mr. Marsden came down in the “Dromedary,” he wrote me a letter pressing upon me the necessity of forwarding this branch with all my might. This I was already doing, for I had at that time twelve natives clearing and breaking up land for wheat. But the wheat which Mr. Marsden brought down to New Zealand was not good; however, I reaped about forty bushels of oats and twelve bushels of barley.

page 181

Things passed on in this way until October 22nd, 1820.

When Mr. Marsden came from Wangahroah, with Mr. Fairfoul, surgeon of the “Dromedary,” I made complaint to him that the carpenters had been saucy to me, and Mr. Wm. Hall being continually at the “Dromedary” and myself left alone to carry on all the work, I was completely set fast. Mr. Marsden did not do as I expected he would—enter into my feelings, and devise some means of redress—but said, you must do this, and order that man to do so and so, and another to do so and so. I said, “Sir, I am quite tired of having everything thrown on my hands, and the permanent servants of the Society will not be commanded by me; yea, and others are very insolent, (this is certainly true), for emaneipated conviets even told Mrs. Butler to her face she ought to wash their clothes; and often they would come into the place and throw the victuals about, if it did not exactly please them.” I told Mr. Marsden I did not bring Mrs. Butler into New Zealand to cook and do for such blackguards.

Mr. Marsden appeared vexed at this, and went out and wrote me a letter, desiring that I should state to him what authority I wished to retain in the Mission. I was so much grieved that Mr. Marsden should put such a question to me, after labouring night and day while others were standing idle, I wrote him an answer immediately that I desired no authority at all, because I conceived that a Christian Minister has all he wants in his appointment to the sacred office, but I have never had any time to attend to my proper duties. For, instead of having only a few secular engagements, I have had nothing else neither have I up to the present date, and all I wanted was Mr. Marsden to arrange things so as to enable me to act a little more in character.

Mr Marsden then, without consulting me any further, sent for Mr. Wm Hall, and called a committee, and appointed Mr. F. Hall superintendent over something, I know not what; and Mr. Wm. Hall superintendent over the carpenters. This he was already, and therefore a useless distinction. What I complained of, his not attending to that department as he ought to do.

It is somewhat remarkable that, notwithstanding all this, I have had their natives to look after ever since, and most of the timber to get, and the shingles also, with the assistance of my son. I might have been without a house two years more in New Zealand. I have learned it is one thing to propose and appoint, and another to perform.

Mr. Marsden next put all the stores under the care of Mr. F. Hall. I never gave up, nor intended to give up looking after every part of the Society property; but Mr. Marsden thought proper to wrest them out of my hands, not for any improper use made of them for I have got more done than any other man with the same quantity of trade, and the reason is this—I have endeavoured at all times to set the natives an example by working with them myself. I do not say this to make myself better than another, but only to state the truth, which I cannot state in any other way.

Mr. Marsden at this committee gave orders for me to give documents for all things which I received out of the Society's store, and here I must observe that I am the only servant of the Society that has ever been compelled to do this; this I consider a hardship, but I have at all times complied with the request. I wish to come to the point at once. Have I been unfaithful? then let me return home with the shame page 182 that attends it. Have I been faithful? then I must be furnished with things to carry on my work, and entrusted with same, or else the Society will be pleased to pardon me if it goes undone.

I hope the Committee will receive my sincere and grateful thanks for their kind attention to my request of various article for which I made application. I hope I shall never grow insensible, or be backward to acknowledge all their kindness with unfeigned gratitude.

I received a good supply of many of the articles for the use of my family, from Mr. Hall, and very cheap indeed; altho' not charged by Mr. Marsden according to the invoice from London. I shall pay Mr. Marsden for them when I reach Port Jackson. Many things which we are in want of, Mr. Marsden did not send, as you will see per enclosed invoice, such as moulds, pins, needles, bobbins, tape, etc., etc.

I also received a church bible, prayer book, service of Communion plate, six bottles of wine for the Lord's Supper, register book, and several treatises on agriculture, also Fox's Book of Martyrs, and three annual registers, and several volumes of Christian Guardians. I received various grass seeds, but no clover seeds, and the grass seed had been opened at Port Jackson, and part of them taken out, and the seed I consider much injured thereby. I think all things wanted at N.Z. should be opened as little as possible at P.J. I have to acknowledge with thankfulness the receipt of the cupping machine; it was used the other day for the first time by Mr. F. Hall, or rather performed upon him. I am happy to find that you intend to send some implements of husbandry and seeds. They will be of the greatest utility, if the natives will permit us to remain at peace, without the sale of muskets and powder. But of this I am afraid. As to supplies for a school, I beg leave to say that I have not received anything, neither have I any organised school; at present there is no building erected for that purpose, nor any supplies for to maintain one, nor have I a house as yet to dwell in. Nevertheless, I have endeavoured to benefit the natives in every possible way. I have travelled among them as often as I could, and visited and conversed with them at every opportunity. Moreover, I have employed, victualled, and partially clothed, and instructed in farming, fencing, gardening, falling timber, towing timber, sawing, pulling boats, etc., fourteen natives on an average ever since I have been in New Zealand. At the same time I have administered to them all the mental instruction in my power, especially in the best things, even the best things of Christ. I have nine young men employed and victualled at this time, and Mrs. Butler has three young women who can wash well, do plain sewing, and almost any household work; they are also exceeding good hands in the garden. I have been (and am now) hard put to for food for them, as Mr. Marsden has not sent any rice for a long time. We grind wheat, and Mrs. B. makes dumplings for them to eat with their potatoes.

They have had no meat for a long time, I cannot get it; after harvest, I shall have plenty of wheat and barley, and then with potatoes I hope to do pretty well. I have seven acres of wheat, and six of barley and oats, growing at this time, all looking remarkably well. I sowed all the grain with my own hands, and had no assistance to work the land but my natives.

This is a greater quantity than is growing in both settlements besides. Also my garden, which contains 110 rods, is full of a variety of vegetables and young fruit trees, and an excellent bed of hops, containing fourteen hills. I have also at this time 158 rods of seven feet page 183 pale fencing standing around my little house, field, garden house and yard, and done almost and altogether by natives and myself and son. (Besides other general fencing and buildings). As also one potato house, thirty feet by ten. One new fowl-house, twenty-one by ten. One goat house, eight by ten. One new house for my working natives to live in, and for a small school for same, twenty-seven by ten. I should have been exceeding glad of some canvas to make hammocks for them to sleep in, and some blankets, but Mr. Marsden has kept all the canvas at Port Jackson. We are in great distress for canvas and rope, but Mr. Marsden, I understand, has not sent any to New Zealand.

I shall be exceeding happy to see a well-organised school at Kiddee Kiddee, and shall do all in my power towards accomplishing this grand object, but it will want continual support. It will be best to go on in a small scale at first. I shall be greatly distressed for European clothes before I can obtain a supply.

The Society, I observe, sent a great quantity of Welsh flannel, but only one hundred and fity-one yards came to New Zealand, and that Mr. Hall sold away among the missionaries, not one yard devoted to the poor natives.

As you say in your letter that you hope a school has been established at Kiddee Kiddee, I have given you, I may now say, as clear an account as I am able concerning this matter. I do wish it was better, but it is all that could have been done. I think I have had as good a school as ever in N.Z.

I feel very anxious about a plan for public worship, but how or when a church will be built, it is hard to say. However, I shall not rest until the top stone, as well as the foundation, is laid for this purpose.

As soon as my dwelling house is finished, I hope to have more time to learn the native language, and I humbly hope that the Lord will enable me to learn it, and to preach the glorious Gospel therein. I should be exceeding thankful for a small chest of medicines with salves and ointments by the first conveyance, and a good watch if you will be pleased to purchase one for me. I lost an excellent horizontal watch on the wharf at Sydney, the day I was shipping the goods for N.Z. We are in great want of threads, common tape, buttons, and moulds for natives.

As I often go round the neighbouring district, meeting the natives, and am almost compelled to distribute little things among them, on account of their extreme poverty and importunities, I should be very thankful if the Society would be pleased to pack up a few smaller things separately, for the purpose of distribution among them on such occasions—such as plane irons, knives, fish-hooks, combs and scissors, etc., and direct the same to me at New Zealand, and not to be opened at Port Jackson. The piece of red cloth sent for presents, Mr. Marsden cut up at P. Jackson, and he sent me only one yard and ten nails, which I have given to Rewah.

Whatever the Committee have to say to Mr. Kendall about parting with so many muskets, I hope and trust the Committee will be kind enough to let me know, and solemnly charge him not to let the natives up on me, by saying that I wrote about them, for all my property would be immediately stolen, and perhaps my life would scarcely atone for it.

page 184

They look upon me already as the only man who stops their free circulation. I should be very glad of the following articles: Two sets of copper-plate copy books, scales and weights, one gallon, one quart measure, and one set of corn measures. And now, my dear Sir, what more can I say? only this that it is my earnest prayer that God and Father of our Lord Jesus would of His boundless mercy remove every difficulty and bless our work of faith and labour of love until the glorious Gospel shines throughout these bemghted islands.

Mrs. B. has sent to Mrs. Pratt one mat which she begs her acceptance of. Mrs. B. has sent Mrs. Bickersteth one mat, which she begs her to accept. I have sent one mayree (a war instrument which I beg you to accept), and one to Mr. Bickersteth, which I hope he will be kind enough to receive. Curiosities are scarce with me, as I do not deal in muskets and powder. I have also sent one mat and one box to the Bishop of Gloucester, which you will be careful to forward immediately, as also one mat to Mr. Broughton, and one to Mr. Thos. Adams, Harrow Road, Paddington.

My heart is still full of matter, but for this time I must conclude lest I trouble you to read what is painful to write: wars and rumours of wars among the natives. God help you. Amen.

Accept of our love to yourself and family, Mr. Bickersteth and family, and all friends.


Sent by the “Cumberland,” Capt. Brind, Nov., 1821.


1821, OCTOBER 13th.—The whole of this week I have been fencing and gardening.

OCTOBER 14th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

15th and 16th.—Gardening and writing.

OCTOBER 17th.—At the earnest request of Rewah's wife, I set off with my son and two carpenters for Wyemattie, to see her son, a little boy who is called after my name, and who is dangerously ill. When we arrived in the evening, many of her friends and neighbours collected together, and the little boy who was with a friend at a short distance from Rewah's place was brought to his mother. The poor little fellow was greatly emaciated, and wasted to a skeleton. The child knew me, and shook hands with me, but I could not get him to speak. His mother and friends sat down and cried and lamented for an hour without ceasing.

While they were crying, my native servants made the fire and boiled some water, and I made him some tea, and sopped some bread therein, and he appeared very fond of the tea page 185 and bread. Rewah, his father, is at the River Thames with Shunghee. This poor little boy is his only son, and should he die during his absence, he will be greatly affected, as he is exceeding fond of him. The New Zealanders are very affectionate towards their children, and especially boys.

We next prepared for our supper, after which we had prayers and a long conversation with the natives, who were mostly women and children.

They all seemed very thankful for my visit, and wished to know whether the boy would recover; I answered: “I cannot tell, but I am afraid he will not, for he is in a deep decline, brought upon him by a severe cold.” They immediately began crying again, and kept on for several hours. We were obliged to lay down for the night, being tired; and either the little boy or his friends were crying and mourning all night.

We rose up very early and got our breakfast, and again made the little boy some tea and sopped bread in it, and he was very fond of it.

We now prepared to return, and I left some tea and sugar and bread with his mother for him, and directed her to send to me for some more when that is expended.

We arrived at Kiddee Kiddee in the evening and found all well.

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.—Gardening and writing.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21st.—Divine Service, morning and evening. Mrs. Kemp's little boy taken very ill. In the evening we heard that the “Active” had arrived at Rangee Hoo.

OCTOBER 22nd, 1821.—Writing the whole day; very wet.

TUESDAY.—Writing and gardening.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.—At work with the trowel, building a chimney. John Lee and Boyle got drunk and beat the sawyers.

SATURDAY, 27th.—Reading and writing.

SUNDAY, 28th OCTOBER, 1821.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd.—This week I have been employed in building a chimney and doing jobs in the garden. My natives have been employed in levelling the yard, cutting wood, etc.

page 186

SUNDAY, 4th. — Divine Service, morning and evening. Administered the Holy Sacrament.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10th.—This week I have been employed with my natives in levelling yard, making a grass plot, and thatching a pig house.

SUNDAY, 11th.—Divine Service, morning and evening.

NOVEMBER 12th.—Writing.

I am happy to say that Rewah's little boy, who has been dangerously ill, is in a fair way of recovery.

The remaining part of the week I have been employed in the garden and fencing.

Captains Brind, Kent and Brown, and Mr. Wm. and F. Hall dined with me on Friday, and Capt. Brind has taken from me one box of letters into his charge for Mr. Pratt, two for Mr. Broughton, one parcel for Mr. Hooper, Chatham, and one letter.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 18th.—Divine Service, morning and evening. This afternoon the ship “Westmorland” came into the harbour.

MONDAY, 19th. — Writing the whole day. Afternoon, received a letter from Mr. Kendall respecting the “Westmorland.”

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 20th.—Set off for Rangee Hoo at six in the morning. Held a special committee and agreed for passages for Mrs. Bean and three children, Mrs. Fairburn and two children. James Boyle, Thos. Foster, John Lee, myself, and Tyoree, on board the “Westmorland,” Capt. J. Potton, for New South Wales.

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY.—Packing up for Port Jackson.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd. — Captain Potton, of ship “Westmorland,” came to Kiddee Kiddee, and dined with us.

Went on board the “Westmorland” on Friday, November 23rd, with Mrs. Bean, Fairburn, and five children, also John Lee, Thos. Foster and James Boyle; got all our things safe on board. Supped on board the “Cumberland” with Captain Brind, and returned to the “Westmorland” to sleep.

SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 24th.—Went to Rangee Hoo with Mr. Hall, and dined with Mr. King, came back in the evening, and parted with all our friends, and left them in good health.

page 187

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 25th.—Got under weigh at ten a.m.; morning remarkably fine.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 26th.—At anchor at Tippoonah. Miss Kendall came on board. Capt. Sawry and Capt. Gardner, of the “Mary Ann,” came on board, and Capt. Gardner brought me a parcel from the Society, and a letter from Mr. Pratt.

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27th.—Got under weigh; fine day and fair wind.

NOVEMBER 28th AND 29th.—Fine days, fair wind.

30th.—Fine day, almost a calm.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1st.—Fine day, variable winds.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 2nd.—Fine day; fair wind.

Preached on board in cabin from Matthew 16, 20; all the crew attended. Mr. Williams (Tahitian missionary) preached in the afternoon.

DECEMBER 3rd.—Fine day, fair wind.

TUESDAY—Fine day, fair wind.

WEDNESDAY.—Fine day, strong breeze, head.

THURSDAY.—Fine day, fair wind.

FRIDAY.—Fair day, foul wind.

SATURDAY.—Strong breeze, foul wind.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9th.—Divine Service on deck; fine day and a calm.

MONDAY.—Fine day, fair wind.

TUESDAY.—Came to anchor in Sydney Cove at eight a.m. Saw Captain Piper, who inquired kindly of my son. Afternoon, paid my respects to Governor Macquarie, and was received by him in the kindest manner, and invited to dine with him on Wednesday.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12th. — Visited Mr. Lee (Leigh), and breakfasted with him; visited Mr. Cowell, and had some conversation about New Zealand. In afternoon, dined with Governor Macquarie.

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 13th.—Paid my respects to Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos., and was received with every mark of respect, and also received an appointment to wait on him on the Thursday following.

page 188

14th.—Busy looking after some necessaries for myself.

SATURDAY, 15th.—Set off this morning for Parramatta, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Williams, in Capt. Potton's boat; dined by the way at John Blaxland, Esquire's, and proceeded to Mrs. Hassell's, and found all well.

Slept at Mr. Marsden's.

SUNDAY, 16th.—In the morning visited the school in the church, and from there to Mr. Hassell's, and returned to church. Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos. and family were present. Mr. Marsden preached from 25 Matthew, Mr. Middleton in afternoon from 3rd of Matthew's.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 17th.—Went to Mr. Hassell's in morning; afternoon, writing.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 18th.—Returned to Sydney in Capt. Thompson's whale boat, and gave orders about shoes and other business.

DECEMBER 19th.—Bought Hid. Porter some spirit and other things.

DECEMBER 20th.—Went to Parramatta, accompanied by Mr. Cowell; saw Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos., who promised to give me some cattle for the missionaries; afternoon, set off for Capt. Irvine's; reached Liverpool in the evening, after losing myself by the way. Slept at Rev. W. Cartwright's.

FRIDAY, 21st.—Proceeded on my way to Capt. Irvine's, and reached his place about four in the afternoon. I was kindly received by him, and slept at his house.

SATURDAY, 22nd DECEMBER.—Mr. Hassell sent his chaise for me, and I proceeded to his place on my arrival. I found him and his family in good health. Afternoon, took a ride round his farm, and saw the reapers. Mr. H. is gathering in a fine harvest.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 23rd.—Preached at Mr. Hassell's under the verandah, from Luke 2nd. Many people from the neighbouring farms came for Divine Service, and were very attentive.

Churched a woman, and christened a child after the service; spent the evening singing hymns, reading the scriptures and prayer. This Sabbath was to my soul like a shower of rain to a thirsty land.

page 189

MONDAY, DECEMBER 24th.—This morning I bade adieu to this pious family, with my earnest prayers for the divine blessing on them and theirs. Arrived at Mr. Cartwright's at Liverpool about noon. Here I received some refreshment, and proceeded on my way to Parramatta, and arrived there about four in the afternoon. Slept at Mr. Fairburn's.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 26th.—Went with Mr. Marsden to his farm at South Creek, and remained all night.

27th.—Went to Dr. Harrison's for breakfast, after which we proceeded to Parramatta, and arrived at dinner time. Afternoon, set the tailor to work with my clothes.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 28th.—This day being the anniversary of the Native Institution, many of the native tribes assembled themselves together to partake of the bounty provided for them by the kind English friends.

Their Excellencies, Governor Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos. and Macquarie, and the ladies attended, and most of the respectable inhabitants. The children of the native school were catechised by their Excellencies, who appeared pretty satisfied with their improvement.

Dined at Mr. Marsden's, and slept at Mr. Shelley's.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 29th.—This morning I got my things down to the waterside, and returned by boat to Sydney, and put my things on the “Westmorland,” and then went to spend my evening at Capt. Thompson's.

SUNDAY, 30th.—Went on board the “Westmorland,” and remained all day, and wrote a letter to Mrs. Butler, and sent it on board the “Active.”

DECEMBER 31st.—This morning the “Active” sailed for New Zealand, myself occupied in arranging my accounts.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 1st, 1822.—Attended Divine Service this morning. Rev. Samuel Marsden preached the annual sermon to the male orphan children. Their Excellencies, Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos. and Macquarie attended, and heard the children examined after service. In the afternoon, visited Mr. Cowell and Mr. Marsden.

WEDNESDAY.—Went into the town, and bought some things.

page 190

THURSDAY. — Went to sec the lighthouse, and Piper House, in company with Messrs. Blaxland, sen., Mr. Blaxland, the younger, two Mr. Walkers, and Capt. Potton. We spent the day very comfortably.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 4th.—Waited on Mr. Wemys (?) in the morning, dined and spent the evening with Mr. Cowell.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 5th, 1822.—Writing the whole day.

SUNDAY, 6th. — Attended Divine Service, morning and evening. Mr. Hill preached.

MONDAY, 7th.—Writing the whole day.

TUESDAY, 8th.—Mr. Middleton came on board, and dined with me. Wrote a letter to Rev. S. Marsden.

WEDNESDAY, 9th.—Writing the whole day.

10th.—Writing in the morning, then went into town and purchased some things.

FRIDAY, 11th.—Spent the day on board correcting my journal. Wrote a letter to Mr. S. Marsden and other business.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 12th. — Writing in morning, afterwards visited Mr. Cowell.

SUNDAY, 13th.—Attended Divine Service, morning and evening with Mr. Cowell, and drank tea and spent the evening with him.

MONDAY.—Went to Mr. Cowell's in morning, and then into town on business.

TUESDAY, 15th.—Met Mr. Marsden by appointment to settle my account. Mr. Marsden has used me exceeding ill, by putting me off from time to time, and on this occasion also, he was very violent in temper, and endeavoured to keep me out of part of my money, by only settling with me up to 31st December, 1820. I was obliged to threaten him with immediate law in order to obtain it.

WEDNESDAY, 16th.—Settled my account with Mr. Marsden. Asked him to kindly read the letter which I wrote to Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos..

He refused to read it, and treated me with contempt, nor would he let me read it to him. He refused Mr. Cowell money for his subsistence, and treated him in a shameful way.

page 191

He was very violent indeed, with Mr. Cowell, as far as I could judge, without any cause. Dined with Mr. Cowell, and then went into town on business. Mr. How refused to advertise Mr. Cowell for his departure to New Zealand, on account of his not having any money to pay him.

THURSDAY, 17th.—Went to Parramatta to Governor Brisbane. He spake very kindly to me, and promised to attend to my wants, and invited me to dine with him on Wednesday, January 23rd.

FRIDAY.—Remained on board all day.

Also Saturday.

SUNDAY, 20th.—Preached on board the “Westmorland” from 107th Psalm, “They that go down to the sea in ships,” etc., etc. We had a pretty large congregation of sailors, who were very attentive.

MONDAY, 21st.—Writing the whole day. To-day I have heard of an accident which happened to a poor sailor belonging to the “John Bale” ship, in the harbour. After Divine Service yesterday, I went on shore in company with Mr. Cowell to dine with him, and as we were passing along we saw a drunken man who was very troublesome to his companion, who was sober, and he wanted to wrestle with the sober man who evaded every attempt. When we drew near I said to him, “My friend, get on board your ship, or I will send you to the watch-house.” At this time a woman took hold of him and wished to get him away, informing him that I was a magistrate. This seemed to exasperate him much, and he began to use the most dreadful oaths, calling me a — magistrate, etc. We thought proper to pass on, as I did not like the thought of sending him to prison. I understand that a short time after he was taken on board, and after landing on the deck, he fell overboard and was drowned. “How dreadful are Thy judgments, O Lord!”

I thought this a very singular thing, as we had but just left the “Westmorland,” where I had been preaching to sailors only.

JANUARY 21st and 22nd.—Writing principally; went to see Governor Macquarie on particular business, and received an invitation to dine with him on Saturday next.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23rd.—Went to Parramatta, and dined with Sir Brisbane, Sir Thos.; Mr. Marsden, Miss Marsden, Mr. Blaxland, John and family, and Mr. Williams were also at table.

page 192

JANUARY 24th.—Employed in getting my things on board the “Westmorland.”


SATURDAY, 26th.—Shipping goods for New Zealand. Murray, the pilot, with three other men, was drowned.

SUNDAY.—On board the “Westmorland.” Employed in reading.

MONDAY, 29th.—Writing all day.

TUESDAY.—Paid my bills and sundry other jobs, and dined with Governor Macquarie.

WEDNESDAY.—On board all day; rather poorly with bowel complaint.

THURSDAY, 31st.—Mr. Marsden sent for me on shore, and we had a long conversation about the stores. He refused to put them under my trust, and made many quibbles, saying some of the missionaries were not to be trusted. I told him we could be trusted with the immortal souls of men, but with the paltry things of this life we could not be trusted.

I further told him that I would sooner sweep the crossways of London streets, and beg my bread from door to door, and from passers-by, than be under him as an agent.


Jany. 24th, 1822.

This is to certify unto all men that Charles Gordon, a servant of the Honorable Church Missionary Society for two years and eleven months in New Zealand, did, of his own free will, give up his situation in Zealand, as servant of the Honorable Church Missionary Society.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto signed my name,