Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

REV. WALTER LAWRY TO REV. John Butler. (In the possession of the “Hocken” Library.)

REV. WALTER LAWRY TO REV. John Butler. (In the possession of the “Hocken” Library.)

PARRAMATTA,
January 9th, 1824.

My very Dear Sir,

If by contributing my humble testimony to your missionary and Christian career, since I have had the honour of your acquaintance and friendship, I can in the smallest degree serve you, it will afford me no inconsiderable happiness.

On my arrival in New Zealand in 1822, I was highly gratified and delighted to find the missionaries in a state of peace and activity, which I considered bespoke their piety, and encouraged blooming hopes of success.

But allow me, my dear Sir, the liberty of saying that your docile, humble, and pious conversation made a deep impression on my mind. It did me good. While in the colony, your mind had been greatly tried; the conduct of your brethren toward you, I considered far from pleasant, or proper toward you. The Society's agent more especially grieved you.

But when I saw your spirit and conduct at New Zealand, and witnessed the maturity and wisdom of your plans, together with your unwearied, unremitted industry in promoting the noble objects of the Society, and compared them with the sweet, condescending and affectionate manner in which both yourself and Mrs. Butler were pleased to welcome and care for Mrs. Lawry and myself, I was at a loss to express the grateful feelings of my heart. It was then my opinion, and the opinion of those who were with me that you were the most calculated for extensive usefulness of any man among all the excellent brethren of that Mission; this is still my opinion.

As to the vile and wicked slanders which certain persons have maliciously propagated concerning you, no one will believe them save those who wish to do so. I believe that those who know your proceeding in your Mission, and are unbiassed by party feelings, are forward to allow you to be an eminently pious and useful minister of Jesus Christ. I hope you will see your way clear to return to New Zealand, and that God will then bless you with all blessings in your suffering, misrepresented, and yet hopeful Mission.

Please to accept, Rev. and dear Sir, my grateful tribute of thanks for the Christian kindness which I have witnessed at your hands.

I am your aff. brother,

WALTER LAWRY,

Wesleyan Missionary.
Rev. John Butler.