Sport 32: Summer 2004
Emma Neale — Exposure
Specific Fear: Spiders
- 1.Look at a picture of a spider.
- 2.Touch the picture.
- 3.Look at a spider in a jar.
- 4.Handle a rubber spider.
- 5.Touch a jar containing a live spider.
- 6.Imagine how it feels to touch a live spider.
- 7.Briefly touch a live spider.
- 8.Allow a spider to remain in the palm of your hand.
Specific Fear: Heights
- 1.Look out your bedroom window, alone.
- 2.Look out a second storey window, with company.
- 3.Look out a second storey window, alone.
- 4.Look out a third storey window, with company.
- 5.Continue ascending until you can (a spinning top, arms flung wide as a weathercock's) turn in a high, open, wild space alone.
Specific fear: Loss
- 1.Tap the outside of a rinsed, clean glass. Catch the hollow note.
- 2.Look at a photo of someone walking out of shot.
- 3.Touch the photo of someone walking out of shot.
- 4.Look at pictures of places where someone you love is not. (Pay close attention to doorframe, park bench, fountain edge.)
- 5.Touching the loved one, imagine how it feels not to touch the loved one.
- 6.Momentarily stop holding the loved one.
- 7.Allow the absence to remain in the palms of your hands.