Land purchases, Middle Island : in continuation of paper G. 6, 1874, presented 29th July, 1874 : presented to both Houses of the General Assembly by command of His Excellency
G.—Port Cooper Purchase
G.—Port Cooper Purchase.
As a large portion of Banks Peninsula, irrespective of the French claim, was in the hands of the Natives in 1849, it became necessary, in order to secure Port Cooper as a harbour for the Canterbury settlement, to make arrangements to acquire the land from them for that purpose; and Mr. Mantell was deputed by the Governmant to effect the purchase. This led to the acquisition of the above-named block in August, 1849, for the sum of £200, and a reservation of 859 acres for the Natives.