Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from William Thompson to His Excellency the Governor relative to terms of peace

(Translation.)

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

page 22

(Translation.)

Peria, July 9th, 1861.

For the Runanga of Mr. Fox and Mr. Bell.,

I am wondering at the good appearance of the matters now standing in Waikato, but the evil is with the old Chiefs; but when they heard what I did (had to) tell them, these Chiefs wondered, end said that I must visit them so long as the Maori King lasted. That is, the Runangas who heard my words (said this), and perhaps those who have made the Maori King may not think very different. The things which I spoke about were, the "Treaty of Waitangi," and the kindness of the words of the Queen respecting the Maori tribes, that the truth of the Treaty is still upheld, the Gospel was sanctioned by the Treaty of Kohimarama, to the Ministers, and the schools and to the Maori Ministers, this was added to the Treaty of Waitangi (or according to the Treaty of waitangi).

And the document sent by His Excellency to the meeting at Ngaruawahia was in accordance with the mana of the Treaty of Waitangi. The good appearance of the two tribes (European and Maori) who are making good for this Island.

Now this is my word: The Maori King is a thing of no note according to my thought. The only great thing in the midst of those Native tribes who are putting up a Maori King is bo[gap — reason: damage]sting, but if you, Wiremu Tamihana, that you select your Chiefs, and you go with them to Auckland, that you may be in the Runanga which e[gap — reason: damage]acts laws for this Island, there will not be war, but the war will be in the meeting alone, and peace will be the object gained.

When I had ended my words Wiremu Tamihana consented to come (to Auckland), but the time when he will come is to the Maori meeting that is to be soon, and his wish is that this meeting may be called (or take place soon), but he wishes such meeting to be called by a notice in the newspapers. Let me stop here.

From your loving friend,

Wiremu Maihi Rangikaheke.

The Runanga of Mr. Fox and Mr. Bell,

&c., &c., &c.

Auckland.