Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from William Thompson to His Excellency the Governor relative to terms of peace

(Translation.)

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

(Translation.)

Peria, July 9, 1861.

Friend the Governor,—

Wiremu Tamihana has consented to the word that I spoke to him.

1. The Treaty of Waitangi, that is, the Queen's consent to the "mana" Maori being respected, in regard to the men and the land.
2. The religion of the Ministers and the Maori schools from which Maori Ministers have been produced.
3. The Treaty of Kohimarama, which has been appended to the Waitangi Treaty, which was to make permanent our boundaries, and the "mana" of all our things. To that meeting at Kohimarama you were deaf.
4. The newspapers of June 1st and 15th, Nos. 6 and 7, which were sent to be viewed by the Waikato Runanga at Kohimarama. Enough.
5. Your joining in the evil at Waitara.

I have a word to say to you, O William Thompson! The greatest of these things is obstinacy, the next is evil. You turn the matter over: which is the best of these things? The Maori King movement, together with obstinancy and death. I will not speak about the flag or the King movement, that will rest with you; but (I will speak of) the many matters contained in the setting up of the king, about the Queen's setting up the "mana" Maori, and other matters.

My plan is, that you should select a Runanga of Chiefs for yourself, but you had better ask the Governor (to be allowed) to take part in the Runanga that is to be held soon. The good fights for for these times are meetings.

Tamihana was pleased at this, and truly agreed to come, and (he also wrote) his letter. The root of his letter was to ask that this year's committee (conference) should be held this next month.

The word, however, is with me. I will probably call upon you to-morrow. I will now cease.

From your loving friend,

Wiremu Maihi Te Rangikaheke.

To His Excellency the Governor,

Auckland.