Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from William Thompson to His Excellency the Governor relative to terms of peace

Translation Of A Letter To His Excellency The Governor From The Runanga Assemble At Ngaruawahia

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

Translation Of A Letter To His Excellency The Governor From The Runanga Assemble[gap — reason: damage] At Ngaruawahia.

Ngaruawahia, June 7, 1861.

Friend, The Governor,

Salutations to you. This is a word to you from the Maori Runanga. [gap — reason: damage]! This is our thought to you. Tell us of the death for this Island first, and let the page 18fighting be afterwards. Let not the proceeding be like that in the case of Taranaki, which we and you worked at in the dark: we did not understand what was the good of that quarrel. Let you and me deliberate carefully this time. These are our thoughts at the present time. We hear talk, the report of which is going about Waikato, and comes from where you are: that the General insists upon (urges) a war with Waikato: If this report is correct, write to us: let the talk come first, and do you carefully weigh the matter (turn the matter over in your mind.) Let this be the result of reflection, even the withdrawal of the troops, who we hear are clearing the roads. If a stockade is made for the soldiers at Te Iia (Mangatawhiri), and at other places, our opinion is this:—Be not in haste to begin hostilities; let us duly remember the words of St. James, "Slow to wrath, swift to hear." This, O Governor, is what we think: do you look to these things, even fighting with words against the error or offences of the Maoris, and let it (the offence) be clearly laid down, that the eyes of the great and of the small may clearly perceive it, ere you be swift to wrath. This is our intention. We are not going to rise up to fight; rather will we wait until the eyes have seen, the ears heard, and understanding has entered into the heart; then shall we see what is the good of fighting, and whether there be a just cause for the chastisement inflicted upon evil men, that is, upon us Maoris.

But now, oh Friend! restrain your angry feelings against all parts of New Zealand. Let our warfare be that of the lips alone. If such be the course pursued by us it will be a long path, our days will be many while engaged in fighting that battle. Let it not be transferred to the battle (fought) with hands. That is a bad road. a short path: our days will not be many while engaged with the edge of the sword. But do you, the first born of God's sons, consider these things. Let not you and me be committed to the short path; let us take the circuitous one; though circuitous, its windings are upon firm land.

Proverb.

'Not by the direct path, that means, traveller's fare, short commons. Let us take the circuitous route, that means abundance, or the portion of the stayer at home.'

No more, oh friend. It is for you to interpret the meaning of these proverbs. There are more to com. Enough.

From the Runanga Maori.

The Governor.