Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letters From Certain Chiefs Of Ahuriri to Dr. Featherston

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

Ngaruawahia, Waikato,
August 21st, 1863.

To Noa, To Karaitiana, To Renata, To Paora, and Tareha, but to you all.
Friends, People,

Salutations to you. This is my word to you. Be watchful of yourselves (i.e., of your own persons), lest you all be imprisoned in a similar manner to the Chiefs of Waikato by the Governor, because the people of this Island will be treated in a similar manner. Some will be punished (lit. flogged); some will be imprisoned. Be aware of the proceedings of the Governor, the people of the Hutt, Wairarapa, Otaki, and other places, that are not knowing (on the alert, suspicious.) Enough of that word. Hearken all of you. On the 9th July, a letter from the Governor to the people of Manukau arrived, telling them to go to the other side (i.e., South side) of Mangatawhiri, in Waikato. They left their land at Mangere, Pukaki, Patumahoe, and Te kirikiri, which was occupied by the soldiers on the 10th. On the 11th July the soldiers arrived at Pukeno and Tuakau. The property at those places was consumed by fire. Some of the people were driven off those lands. On the 12th July (the soldiers) crossed to this side of Mangatawhiri. On the 13th, Waikato went to Koheroa. On the 17th July was the engagement. On the 17th page 2July (they) fought on the road. These engagements took place on the same day. On the 22nd July was th5e engagement at Kirikiri. There the pa was destroyed. Hearken; this (the present war) is the fence of this Island (for our protection). It will not be allowed to be broken. If it is broken, all the goods in the house will be burned. The flood will not be allowed to roll in (upon us.) Friends,-the Governor has not only now made up his mind. He commenced (determined) when I went to Hauraki (the Thames); and although he went to Taranaki, his thoughts were upon Waikato. (He had already determined upon invading Waikato.) Enough.