Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Early Canterbury Runs: Containing the First, Second and Third (new) Series

Highpeak — (Run (94A)

(Run (94A)

T. E. Upton, who managed Highpeak in the late 60's, told me that Highpeak was taken up by Henry Phillips of Rockwood, and sold unstocked for £50 to Captain Westenra, who bought it for J. C. (afterwards Sir Cracroft) Wilson; T. A. Phillips, of the Point, told me that his father was going to take it up, but was forestalled by Leach, of Snowdon; but the Description Book of Runs in the Land Office, shows Highpeak as originally allotted to Richard Westenra, jun., on 29th July, 1853. It appears to me that there was more than the usual scramble for this run, and that Henry Phillips sold his chance to Westenra, who anyhow got the run and transferred it to J. C. Wilson on 5th May, 1854. Later in 1854 Wilson transferred the run to his son's name, Frederick Herbert Wilson, and stocked it, but let it to Hill and Broome about 1865. Hill and Broome built the first hut and woolshed there, but only kept the place a year or so, then transferred their lease to their manager, Benjamin Booth. When Wilson finally settled in New Zealand he took over Booth's sheep, and kept the place in his own hands, transferring the lease from his son's name to his own on 31st March, 1867. He sent T. E. Upton there to manage it in 1868, Booth then becoming a partner of the Maxwells at Racecourse Hill.

page 227

In June, 1881, Wilson or his executors sold Highpeak to Duncan Rutherford, who, in June, 1885, transferred it to his brother, George Rutherford, of Dalethorpe. He afterwards made it over to his daughter, Mrs J. F. Buchanan, to whose executors it still belongs. It now [1945] carries 8,600 sheep.

One of the Rutherford's managers at Highpeak was Frank Ryan, afterwards editor of the Christchurch Spectator. He was one of the best soldiers who left New Zealand for the South African War. He left as a corporal in the Third Contingent, and was killed as a lieutenant in the Sixth.

F. G. Hill managed the station for Mrs Buchanan for many years. In 1930 he was succeeded by R. A. White, who was there till 1936, when E. M. Relfe, the present manager, took over.