The Early Canterbury Runs: Containing the First, Second and Third (new) Series
Prebble's Run — (Run 10)
This was five thousand acres of country round about Prebbleton. It lay on the Halswell and joined the Springs and Coringa. William Prebble, after whom Prebbleton is named, took it up on 1st January, 1852.
Prebble and his family arrived in New Zealand in 1840, and coming down to Canterbury in 1845, were employed by the Greenwoods at Motunau and by the Rhodes Brothers at Purau and Ahuriri. It was probably while working at Ahuriri that Prebble realised that this piece of country was vacant. He did not settle on it until 1854.
By 1856 there was less than half the run left and it was re-numbered 112 Class II.
Practically the whole run was bought up before 1865, but the Prebbles themselves secured several hundred acres of it and part of this is still in the Prebble family's hands.