mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Nelson Historical Society Journal

  • Journal of the Nelson Historical Society
  • Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Historical Societies
  • Nelson Historical Society Journal

Digitisation of the Nelson Historical Society’s journals is a collaborative project between Friends of the Nelson Library and the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre.

The project is supported by the Nelson Historical Society, Marlborough Historical Society, Nelson Public Libraries: ngā whare mātauranga o whakatū, Nelson Branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, Nelson Institute and Nelson Provincial Museum: Pupuri Taonga o Te Tai Ao.

The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection and National Library of New Zealand: Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa have collaborated to provide links from index entries in Index New Zealand to the full text of the journals on the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre.

The Nelson Historical Society was formed in 1954. Its prime objective was the collection of archival material relating to the history of the northern part of the South Island. A further aim was to encourage research, and it held public meetings at which talks were given on aspects of Nelson history. In 1955 it was decided to publish these talks in a journal.

The first issue of the Journal of the Nelson Historical Society Incorporated was published in November 1955 with James Paterson as the editor. The succeeding five issues of Volume One appeared between 1957 and 1964. Conditions for the inclusion of material were formalised in 1959, with only original material to be accepted.

Two further volumes were published between 1966 and 1980. Dr C R Barnicoat was the editor from 1966 to 1977 and was succeeded by Margaret Brown.

In 1981 the Marlborough Historical Society joined the enterprise and the title changed to Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Societies. Two volumes were published between 1981 and 1995, with Dawn Smith becoming editor in 1986.

The Marlborough Historical Society withdrew in 1996 and the title became the Nelson Historical Society Journal, with publication continuing as copy becomes available.

Although most textual content in this project is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand license, permission from the owner or copyright holder must be obtained to re-use any images reproduced in the Journals. Requests for the re-use of any images should be directed in the first instance to The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection