Through Ninety Years
Rev. Herbert W. Williams and his wife, who had come from England with him, arrived in Gisborne on January 13th, 1889, and began their work when the Te Rau College students assembled on the 22nd. Mr. Williams at first assisted Mr. Jennings with the classes he had been taking, but he soon proposed to carry these on to higher grades. He also took his share of the Maori religious services which his father and Mr. Jennings had been conducting regularly.
This year the General Synod was held in Dunedin from 13th to 28th of February. On his way to this Archdeacon Williams attended the annual meetings of the Mission Trust Board at Napier and a continuation meeting at Wellington, and returned home on March 10th. As the Bishop of Christchurch had resigned the primacy at the close of the General Synod in Dunedin, an election was then held and Rt. Rev. O. Hadfield, Bishop of Wellington, was elected to this position.
When on one of his journeys the Archdeacon recorded that he had held a meeting of the Native Church Board at Opotiki on May 13th and following day. Matenga, one of his native ministers told him that when on a visit to Kaitara in September he met a party of people who had left Te Kooti's so-called religion, and showed their sincerity by buying prayer and hymn books.