A wooden building of some pretensions in point of architecture was erected at Te Aro in 1841, and used as an Exchange and Library, and new stores, houses and fences were springing up in every direction. The clinking of the hammers and the sudden apparition of new habitations still went on day after day with unceasing activity.
The steam mill company erected their mill upon an acre of Mr. Riddiford's, adjoining the acre upon which the store of Messrs. Rhodes and Co. and the Gazette office stood. Captain Rhodes erected a wharf in front of his store in the rear of Manners Street (about Cuba St.). This was the first wharf built in Wellington, was substantial and had four feet at low and nine feet at high water. The public used it free of expense.
Messrs. Waitt and Tinline, in conjunction with Messrs. Partridge and Co., ran a jetty out from their stores in Old Customhouse Street. Another wharf was to be erected in front of Barrett's Hotel at the expense of several enterprising residents of Thorndon Flat.