The following information is extracted from the “Colonial Gazette,” 28th August, 1839, printed by Joseph Clayton, No. 7 Windsor Court, Strand, and published by him at No. 9 Wellington Street, Strand:—
List of Directors: The Earl of Durham, Governor; Joseph Somes Esq., Deputy-Governor. Directors: Lord Petrie, Hon. Francis Baring M.P., Messrs. John Ellerker Boulcott, John William Buckle, Russell Ellice, John Brodie Gordon. Thos. Alers Hankey, Wm. Hutt M.P., Stewart Marjori-banks, Sir Wm. Molesworth. Bart., M.P., Mr. Alexander Nairne. Alderman John Pirie, Sir George Sinclair. Bart., M.P., Mr. John Abel Smith M.P., Alderman Thompson M.P., Sir Henry Webb, Bart., Arthur Willis Esq., and Geo. Frederick Young Esq.”
The “New Zealand Journal,” 6th June, 1840, contains the report of the first general meeting of shareholders of the company, held at their house in Broad Street Buildings, Thursday, 14th May, 1840. Joseph Somes, Esq., Deputy-Governor, in the chair. It was moved by Jeremiah Pilcher, Esq., seconded by Edwin Bryant, Esq.: “That the report now read be adopted and printed for the use of the proprietors…” And at this meeting Mr. Edmund Halswell moved and Mr. John Heath seconded: “That the deed now submitted to the meeting, comprising the names of the directors and auditors this day chosen, be adopted as the Deed of Settlement of the company.” The first report follows in the same number of the “Journal.”
A special meeting was held on the 15th August, 1840, for the purpose of declaring a dividend. Besides the names mentioned above, the names of Aglionby, Wakefield, Hart, Everingham and Hine appear.
The arrival of ten ships was notified, and the site of the town definitely fixed at Lambton Harbour, being the inner harbour of Port Nicholson.
The “New Zealand Journal” of the 6th June, 1840, has in its list of ships despatched by the company, an announcement that the “Cuba,” 273 tons, John Newcombe, master, departed from London on August 1st, 1839, with eight cabin passengers and 22 steerage on board.