Alfred Saunders, in his book on New Zealand, page 129, etc., gives an account of the Seat of Government at Auckland, and notes the salaries of some of its officers in 1840, viz:—Mr. Couper, Customs, £600; The Surveyor General, £400; W. Shortland, P.M., £300; J. S. Freeman, second clerk; S. E. Grimstone, third clerk; a sergeant and four troopers.
The N.Z. Journal, April 2, 1842, p. 4, published a letter from Colonel Wakefield in which he states:
“The ‘Victoria’ left this port for Auckland with the Governor and suite on the 28th September, 1841.
“I have instructed Captain Wakefield to send back here the ‘Arrow,’ with information of the site of the settlement being determined, and hope to be able to inform you of it by the ‘Balley.’”
The same Journal, page 7, published extracts from the Diary of Captain Arthur Wakefield and letters to Colonel Wakefield from Nelson Haven, per “Whitby.” It mentions also that the Court of Requests and quarter sessions had been held in Wellington and Auckland, and the New Zealand Gazette was now published twice a week.
Government Domain Reserve.
This reserve, surrounded by Lambton Quay, Charlotte Street (now Molesworth Street), Kumutoto Street (now Bowen Street), Sydney Street (that portion now closed) and Section 505 (now Museum Street), was set apart by the New Zealand Company (Gov. Gaz., 26/10/41) and recorded on plan of the City of Wellington, August, 1842, signed by the Surveyor-General, Felton Mathew. The page 415 area, 5.137 was reduced by three-quarters of an acre by the Government surveyor.
Some reserves, viz. (L.L.) cemeteries, 18 acres; (M.) Episcopalian Church, 1 acre 4 perches; and (E.E.) Public Offices, were marked on the plan.
Memorial to the Government.
A public meeting was held at the Aglionby Arms (River Hutt) on the 19th September, 1844, for the object of discussing the present state of the district as regards the seizure of the settlers lands by the natives, and of drawing up a memorial to the Government upon the subject. The large room of Mr. BurchaMcs was full, and many were obliged to remain outside. Mr. W. Swainson, F.R.S., of Hawkeshead, was in the chair. The main points of issue were: “That the chief agricultural population of this colony is concentrated in the valley of the Hutt, wherein is contained, by a recent census, between 650 and 700 British settlers —nearly the whole of whom are engaged in agriculture.” (Items 1 to 12, “N.Z. Journal,” 1/2/1845.)
It is interesting to note the Salaries received by Government officials, from the time of their appointment to the year 1846.
|Department and Rank.||Name of Officer.||Salary.|
|Superintendent …. …. ….||Matthew Richmond* …. ….||600||10||0|
|Secretary …. …. …. ….||Samuel E. Grimstone *||250||0||0|
|Private Secretary and Interpreter ….||Henry Tracy Kemp …. …. ….||180||0||0|
|Treasurer …. …. …. ….||Hon. Henry W. Petre …. ….||200||0||0|
|Clerk …. …. …. …. ….||John Telford …. …. …. ….||91||5||0|
|Judge …. …. …. …. ….||Henry Samuel Chapman* …. ….||800||0||0|
|Deputy Registrar …. …. ….||Robert Roger Strang …. ….||200||0||0|
|Crier …. …. …. …. ….||Wm. H. Bottomley …. …. ….||54||18||0|
|Sheriff||Henry St. Hill||Fees.|
|Court of Requests—|
|Commissioner, is also Crown Solicitor||Robert Roger Strang (acting)||150||0||0|
|Registrar of Deeds—|
|Registrar||Samuel E. Grimstone a|
|Sub. Collector||Peter Dods Hogg *||240||0||0|
|Clerk and Warehouse-keeper||Arch. W. Shand||120||0||0|
|Landing Waiter||John Macarthy||88||0||0|
|Signalman and Magazine-keeper||Fredk. J. France||54||18||0|
|Pilot||Robert Calder||40||0||0page 417|
|Police Magistrate||Henry St. Hill||200||0||0|
|Clerk||Robert S. Cheeseman||91||5||0|
|Inspector||David Stark Durie||200||0||0|
|Sub-Inspector||A. Chetham Strode||150||0||0|
|Surveyor||Thos. H. Fitzgerald||200||0||0|
|Draftsman||Henry J. Cridland||91||5||0|
|Attendant, Gaols and Natives||John Fitzgerald||120||0||0|
|Postmaster||John F. Hoggard||140||0||0|
|Superintendent of Military Roads||A. H. Russell (and 2/9 per diem in lieu of forage for a horse)||146||0||0|
|Director||Arthur E. Macdonagh||109||10||0|
|Director||Henry S. Knowles||109||10||0|
|Interpreter to the Forces||W. F. G. Servantes||91||5||0|
|Interpreter (H.M.S. “Calliope”)||Richard Deighton||91||5||0|
|Interpreter (Wanganui)||Samuel Deighton||91||5||0|
—(Grimstone's “Southern Settlements,” p. 66.)
The Executive Council, 1848, were: His Excellency Major-General G. D. Pitt, Commander of Forces; Andrew Sinclair, Esq., Colonial Secretary; Alexander Shepherd, Esq., Colonial Treasurer; and Wm. Swainson, Esq., Attorney General.
Lieut.-Governor Eyre was sworn in on the Government lawn in 1848, (Cook St. Almanac, 1849.)
Salaries for 1851–1852.
Lieut-Governor, £800, allowance £400;
Private Secretary, £200.
Colonial Secretary, £400; chief clerk, £250; second clerk, £125.
Colonial Treasurer, £400; clerk, £150.
Auditor-General, £300; clerk, £125.
Surveyor, £300; contingencies, £130.
Public Works.—Clerk, £109 16s; gardener, £70; contingencies, £5.
Customs.— Collector, £400; landing waiter, £200; second do., £120; clerk and warehousekeeper, £160; second Clerk, £54; tide surveyor, £200; locker, £100; assistant, £10.
Harbourmaster.—Coxswain, £60; four boatmen, 2s. 3d. per diem; pilot, £100; one boatman, 3s. per diem; three do., 2s. 3d. per diem.
Colonial Surgeon, £200, forage allowance £54 18s.
Registrar-General, £300; Attorney-General, £400; Resident Magistrate, £300; Gaoler £109 10s; Post Office Clerk, £200; Sub-Inspector Armed Police, £150; Colonial Chaplain, £200.
Grand total, £16,627 3s. 3d.
(“Aus. and N.Z. Gazette,” 10/4/1852.)
The Government gardener for the Domain was D. Wilkinson, at £75 per year.
The Auditor-General, J. T. Godfrey. £300; Clerk, T. W. Hoggard, £125.
Members of the General Assembly were: Messrs, C. Clifford, R. Hart, J. Kelham, and W. B. Rhodes.
Fig. 249.—House of Representatives, 1860. Top Row—Government House, Auckland. First Row (from the top (left)—Dr. Featherston and William Fox. Second Row—W. Fitzherbert, C. R. Carter, E. Stafford, C. W. Richmond, A. Renall, W. B. Rhodes. Third Row—J. Williamson, A. de B. Brandon, T. Henderson, Chas. Clifford (Speaker), J. Logan Campbell, T. S. Forsaith and H. Carleton. Fourth Row—T. H. Fitzgerald, J. Farmer, F. D. Bell, A. Domett, W. C. Dalby, Archibald Clark. Fifth Row—D. Monro, C. H. Brown, W. Sefton Moorhouse, F. Jollie, J. T. Cookson, T. C. Gillies. Sixth Row—J. P. Kelling, H. Evelyn Curtis, C. Ward, J. C. Richmond, T. King. Seventh Row—J. J. Symonds, Theophilus Heale, T. M. Haultain, R. Graham. Eighth Row—J. MacAndrew, H. Sewell, J. P. Taylor. Ninth Row—Edward Mayne, Sergeant at Arms (extreme left), F. E. Campbell, clerk (extreme right).
An account of the Government offices is given in the “Cyclopaedia of N.Z.,” Vol. I., pp. 122, from which the following extracts are given:—
“Up to 1864 all the Government printing was done privately. A plant, costing £884 was fixed in Auckland in 1864, a staff of eight men and two boys engaged, and the Gazette, departmental forms and Parliamentary papers were printed. On the removal of the seat of Government, in 1864, large additions to the plant were made, and a printing machine, driven by steam power, was used. Duty stamp printing commenced in 1886. Part of Barret's old hotel was used until 1888.
“Old Government house was completed in 1871, and the foundation stone of the Provincial Buildings (now Government Insurance) was laid in 1872. (See Fig. 222.)
Parliament House was erected in 1873 from plans prepared by the Colonial Architect, Mr. Clayton.
The Government Buildings (Fig. 314), claimed to be the largest wooden structure of a permanent character in the world, containing upwards of one hundred and sixty rooms was commenced in April, 1875, and completed in October, 1877.
The contract for rebuilding the Post Office, destroyed by fire in 1887, was let to Messrs. Barry and McDowell in 1882.
Post Office Chimes.
An article in the “Dominion,” 9th March, 1928, deals with the words set to the Post Office chimes, viz.:—
”All through this hour,
Lord, be our guide;
And by thy power
No foot shall slide.”
The Governors of New Zealand.
Captain William Hobson, Lieut.-Governor-N.Z., under Sir Geo. Gipps, Governor of N.S.W., Jan. 1840 to May 1841; Governor of N.Z., May 3, 1841; until his death, Sept. 10, 1842.
Lieut. Willoughby Shortland, R.N., Administrator, Sept. 10, 1842, to Dec. 26, 1843.
Captain Robert Fitzroy, R.N., Governor, 26/12/1843 to 17/11/1845.
Captain George Grey, Governor, 18/11/1845 to 1/1/1848 (Knighted '48); Governor-in-chief Islands N.Z., Governor Province of New Ulster, and Governor Province of New Munster, 1/1/1848 to 7/3/1853; Governor of N.Z., 7/3/1853 to 31/12/1853; K.C.B., Adm., 3/10/61; Governor, 4/12/61 to 5/2/1868.
Lieut.-Governors of Provinces: Edward John Eyre, Lieut.-Governor New Munster, Aug. 1847; sworn in 28/1/1848 to 7/3/1853.
Major-General George Dean Pitt, Lieut.-Governor New Ulster, 3/1/1848; sworn in 14/2/1848 to 8/1/1851.
Lieut.-Colonel Robert Henry Wynyard, C.B., Lieut.-Governor New Ulster 14/4/51; sworn in 26/4/1851, ceased 7/3/1853. Administrator, 3/1/1854 to 6/3/1855.
Colonel Thos. Gore Browne, C.B., 6/9/1855 to 2/10/1861.
Sir George Ferguson Bowen, G.C.M.G., 5/2/1868 to 19/3/1873.
Sir George Alfred Arney, Chief Justice, Administrator, March 21 to June 14, 1873.
Sir James Fergusson, Bart., P.C., 14/6/1873 to 3/12/1874.
Marquis of Normanby, P.C., G.C.M.G., Administrator, 3/12/1874.
James Prendergast, Chief Justice, Administrator 21/2/1879 to 27/3/1879; 9/9/1880 to 29/11/1880; June 24, 1882, to Jan. 20, 1883; Mar. 23 to May 2. 1889; Feb. 25 to June 6, 1892; Feb. 8, 1897, to Aug. 9, 1897.
Sir Hercules George Robert Robinson, G.C.M.G., Administrator, 27/3/1879; Governor, 17/4/1879 to 8/9/1880.
Hon. Sir Arthur Hamilton Gordon, G.C.M.G., 29/11/1880 to 23/6/1882.
Lieut.—General Sir Wm. Francis Drummond Jervois, G.C.M.G., G.B., Jan. 20, 1883, to 22/3/1889.
Earl of Onslow, G.C.M.G., 2/5/1889 to 24/2/1892.
Earl of Glasgow, G.C.M.G., 7/6/1892 to 6/2/1897.
Earl of Ranfurly, G.C.M.G., 10/8/1897 to 19/6/1904.
Rt. Hon. William Lee, Baron Plunket, K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., 20/6/1904, to 8/6/1910.
Rt Hon. John Poynder Dickson-Poynder, K.C.M.G., Baron Islington, D.S.O., 22/6/1910 to 2/12/1912.
Earl of Liverpool. G.C.M.G., M.V.O., 19/12/1912 to 28/6/1917; Governor-General, 28/6/1917 to 7/7/1920.
The Governors of New Zealand—(contd.)
21. Hon. Sir Robert Stout, K.C.M.G., Chief Justice, Administrator, 8/6/1910 to 22/6/1910; Dec. 3rd to 19th. 1912; P.C., K.C.M.G., Administrator, 8/7/1920 to 26/9/1920.
Viscount Jellicoe of Scapa, G.C.B., O.M., G.C.V.O., Governor-General, 27/9/1920.
General Sir Charles Fergusson, Bart., LL.D., G.C.M.G., K.C.B., D.S.O., M.V.O., Governor-General, arrived 13/12/1924.
(Extracts from an article by Mr. Elsdon Best, published in the Harbour Board's Year Books, 1919 and 1926. By courtesy of the Wellington Harbour Board.)
The history of the port as a shipping centre really dates from 1862, when the first pile of the Queen's wharf was driven. For over twenty years prior to that date, the work of the port was mainly carried on by means of lighters discharging and loading at small private jetties, which extended along the line of the then existing foreshore from Pipitea to Te Aro. The subjoined enumeration of these jetties, etc., in existence in Lambton Harbour, prior to any extensive reclamation, may be of interest; taking them from Pipitea Point southwards:—
Wharf or Jetty and Location, 1919.
Brown's, or German Brown's, Wharf, formerly Munn's Wharf (used by warships as a landing jetty).; opposite Royal, (now Cecil) Hotel.
Wallace's Wharf; opposite Wallace's shop, now Price's (auctioneer), Lambton Quay.
Levin's Wharf, also known as Baron Alzdorf's Wharf, and Taine's Wharf; now Hood Bros.' draper store, Lambton Quay.
Moore's Wharf; opposite Pringle's present shop.
Swinburne's Wharf, also known as Osgood's Wharf, or Bijou Theatre Wharf.page 422
Fig. 251.—Captain Amelius Morland Smith was born in London in 1845 and educated at King's School, Sherborne, Dorsetshire. He was a Commissioned Officer in the 18th Hussars, and stationed in India before he arrived in the ship “Bombay.” Shortly after his arrival, he became assistant private secretary to Sir George Grey (1866), and subsequently with Sir George Bowen; also an A.D.C. to the latter. He was elected Lieutenant of the D. Battery of Artillery on its first formation in the late sixties. Captain Smith lives (1929) at Island Bay. He was for many years a familiar figure at Parliament House.
Wharf or Jetty and Location, 1919—(Contd.).
Bowler's Wharf, then Pearce's Wharf.
Waitt's Wharf, then Fitzherbert's, or Nobby Crawford's Wharf, then Pilcher's Wharf; for bonded goods.
Bethune and Hunter's Wharf; for bonded goods.
Ridgway's Wharf, then Hickson's Wharf, then Wills' or Houghton's Wharf.
Other private wharves and jetties were afterwards erected. The best known structures were:—Mills' Wharf, Turnbull's Wharf, Compton's Wharf, Paddy Anderson's Landing Stage, Waring Taylor's Wharf, (David) Robertson's Wharf, Greenfield and Stewart's Wharf.
The chief lightermen of the early days were:—Messrs. Richard and William Haybittle, George Houghton, F. Wills, Tandy and Pressman. Of this small company, Mr. Richard Haybittle still (1919) survives, a hale old veteran of 96.
The Queen's Wharf was built by the Wellington Provincial Council, and managed by that body for a few years, Mr. William Spinks being first wharfinger. In 1871 the Corporation acquired the wharf, the lessee at that time being Mr. Wm. Tonks. The next lessees were Messrs. Jackson and Graham (1872–1875), after which Mr. W. Jackson held the lease for a year, till Feb. 9th, 1876.
In 1879 a movement was started for the establishment of a Harbour Board, which page 423 was constituted; its first meeting was held February 20th, 1880.
The Board acquired from the Railway Department the railway wharf and adjacent breastwork at Waterloo Quay. And on October 1st, 1881, the Queen's Wharf and Bonded Warehouse, and since that date has solely administered the affairs of the port.
The Year Book for 1919, pp. 28–43, gives an explanation of signals and wharf lights used, a table of distances, chairmen, past members of the Board, and principal officers of the staff, etc. The chairman for 1880 was Mr. W. H. Levin, and the secretaries were: Messrs. H. M. Lyon, 1880; W. Ferguson, 1884, and H. E. Nicholls, 1908.
The Board, which is a public body, constituted and empowered under Acts of Parliament, consists of 14 members elected by the electors of Wairarapa. Hutt, Makara, Manawatu and Wellington. The members for Wellington (1927): Col. G. Mitchell, Captain Macindoe, Messrs. C. J. B. Norwood and C. H. Chapman. The chairman is Mr. J. G. Cobbe, and the secretary Mr. A. G. Barnett. In 1862, the only wharf was without a shed; in 1919 there were 33 stores (8,587,111 capacity).
From Year Book, 1926:—
The Board has ten city wharves, and almost continuous breastworks, extending over nearly a mile and a half of waterfront, the total lineal berthage being 19,305 feet, with depths of water alongside varying from 16 to 46 feet, giving ample berthage accommodation to oversea and other vessels. Of this total, 6110 feet of berthage is linked up with the Dominion's railway system. The above is without taking into account the suburban wharves, six in number, and totalling 2925 lineal feet of berthage.
Conveniently placed on these wharves and adjacent breastworks are 35 stores with a gross capacity of 10,695,360 cubic feet.
a No salary at present approved, 1/10/1845.
b 1 Inspector, 1 Sub-Inspector, 4 Sergeants, 4 Corporals, and 47 Privates.
* Home appointments. The two former reduced (temporarily) to £500 and £200 per annum to meet the exigencies of the colony.