It is interesting to note the Salaries received by Government officials, from the time of their appointment to the year 1846.
|Department and Rank.||Name of Officer.||Salary.|
|Superintendent …. …. ….||Matthew Richmond* …. ….||600||10||0|
|Secretary …. …. …. ….||Samuel E. Grimstone *||250||0||0|
|Private Secretary and Interpreter ….||Henry Tracy Kemp …. …. ….||180||0||0|
|Treasurer …. …. …. ….||Hon. Henry W. Petre …. ….||200||0||0|
|Clerk …. …. …. …. ….||John Telford …. …. …. ….||91||5||0|
|Judge …. …. …. …. ….||Henry Samuel Chapman* …. ….||800||0||0|
|Deputy Registrar …. …. ….||Robert Roger Strang …. ….||200||0||0|
|Crier …. …. …. …. ….||Wm. H. Bottomley …. …. ….||54||18||0|
|Sheriff||Henry St. Hill||Fees.|
|Court of Requests—|
|Commissioner, is also Crown Solicitor||Robert Roger Strang (acting)||150||0||0|
|Registrar of Deeds—|
|Registrar||Samuel E. Grimstone a|
|Sub. Collector||Peter Dods Hogg *||240||0||0|
|Clerk and Warehouse-keeper||Arch. W. Shand||120||0||0|
|Landing Waiter||John Macarthy||88||0||0|
|Signalman and Magazine-keeper||Fredk. J. France||54||18||0|
|Pilot||Robert Calder||40||0||0page 417|
|Police Magistrate||Henry St. Hill||200||0||0|
|Clerk||Robert S. Cheeseman||91||5||0|
|Inspector||David Stark Durie||200||0||0|
|Sub-Inspector||A. Chetham Strode||150||0||0|
|Surveyor||Thos. H. Fitzgerald||200||0||0|
|Draftsman||Henry J. Cridland||91||5||0|
|Attendant, Gaols and Natives||John Fitzgerald||120||0||0|
|Postmaster||John F. Hoggard||140||0||0|
|Superintendent of Military Roads||A. H. Russell (and 2/9 per diem in lieu of forage for a horse)||146||0||0|
|Director||Arthur E. Macdonagh||109||10||0|
|Director||Henry S. Knowles||109||10||0|
|Interpreter to the Forces||W. F. G. Servantes||91||5||0|
|Interpreter (H.M.S. “Calliope”)||Richard Deighton||91||5||0|
|Interpreter (Wanganui)||Samuel Deighton||91||5||0|
—(Grimstone's “Southern Settlements,” p. 66.)
The Executive Council, 1848, were: His Excellency Major-General G. D. Pitt, Commander of Forces; Andrew Sinclair, Esq., Colonial Secretary; Alexander Shepherd, Esq., Colonial Treasurer; and Wm. Swainson, Esq., Attorney General.
Lieut.-Governor Eyre was sworn in on the Government lawn in 1848, (Cook St. Almanac, 1849.)
Salaries for 1851–1852.
Lieut-Governor, £800, allowance £400;
Private Secretary, £200.
Colonial Secretary, £400; chief clerk, £250; second clerk, £125.
Colonial Treasurer, £400; clerk, £150.
Auditor-General, £300; clerk, £125.
Surveyor, £300; contingencies, £130.
Public Works.—Clerk, £109 16s; gardener, £70; contingencies, £5.
Customs.— Collector, £400; landing waiter, £200; second do., £120; clerk and warehousekeeper, £160; second Clerk, £54; tide surveyor, £200; locker, £100; assistant, £10.
Harbourmaster.—Coxswain, £60; four boatmen, 2s. 3d. per diem; pilot, £100; one boatman, 3s. per diem; three do., 2s. 3d. per diem.
Colonial Surgeon, £200, forage allowance £54 18s.
Registrar-General, £300; Attorney-General, £400; Resident Magistrate, £300; Gaoler £109 10s; Post Office Clerk, £200; Sub-Inspector Armed Police, £150; Colonial Chaplain, £200.
Grand total, £16,627 3s. 3d.
(“Aus. and N.Z. Gazette,” 10/4/1852.)
The Government gardener for the Domain was D. Wilkinson, at £75 per year.
The Auditor-General, J. T. Godfrey. £300; Clerk, T. W. Hoggard, £125.
Members of the General Assembly were: Messrs, C. Clifford, R. Hart, J. Kelham, and W. B. Rhodes.
Fig. 249.—House of Representatives, 1860. Top Row—Government House, Auckland. First Row (from the top (left)—Dr. Featherston and William Fox. Second Row—W. Fitzherbert, C. R. Carter, E. Stafford, C. W. Richmond, A. Renall, W. B. Rhodes. Third Row—J. Williamson, A. de B. Brandon, T. Henderson, Chas. Clifford (Speaker), J. Logan Campbell, T. S. Forsaith and H. Carleton. Fourth Row—T. H. Fitzgerald, J. Farmer, F. D. Bell, A. Domett, W. C. Dalby, Archibald Clark. Fifth Row—D. Monro, C. H. Brown, W. Sefton Moorhouse, F. Jollie, J. T. Cookson, T. C. Gillies. Sixth Row—J. P. Kelling, H. Evelyn Curtis, C. Ward, J. C. Richmond, T. King. Seventh Row—J. J. Symonds, Theophilus Heale, T. M. Haultain, R. Graham. Eighth Row—J. MacAndrew, H. Sewell, J. P. Taylor. Ninth Row—Edward Mayne, Sergeant at Arms (extreme left), F. E. Campbell, clerk (extreme right).
An account of the Government offices is given in the “Cyclopaedia of N.Z.,” Vol. I., pp. 122, from which the following extracts are given:—
“Up to 1864 all the Government printing was done privately. A plant, costing £884 was fixed in Auckland in 1864, a staff of eight men and two boys engaged, and the Gazette, departmental forms and Parliamentary papers were printed. On the removal of the seat of Government, in 1864, large additions to the plant were made, and a printing machine, driven by steam power, was used. Duty stamp printing commenced in 1886. Part of Barret's old hotel was used until 1888.
“Old Government house was completed in 1871, and the foundation stone of the Provincial Buildings (now Government Insurance) was laid in 1872. (See Fig. 222.)
Parliament House was erected in 1873 from plans prepared by the Colonial Architect, Mr. Clayton.
The Government Buildings (Fig. 314), claimed to be the largest wooden structure of a permanent character in the world, containing upwards of one hundred and sixty rooms was commenced in April, 1875, and completed in October, 1877.
The contract for rebuilding the Post Office, destroyed by fire in 1887, was let to Messrs. Barry and McDowell in 1882.
Post Office Chimes.
An article in the “Dominion,” 9th March, 1928, deals with the words set to the Post Office chimes, viz.:—
”All through this hour,
Lord, be our guide;
And by thy power
No foot shall slide.”