War Surgery and Medicine
Maadi Camp was fortunate in its water supply in that it was drawn from the Maadi township supply, which was treated with alum, filtered through sand, and then chlorinated before being piped throughout the camp. A generous allowance of 20 gallons per man per day was available. The reservoir for the camp supply was covered in to avoid contamination. Outside the camp troops were instructed not to drink water from any source. Ample water was available for showers, at first cold only, but later hot as well.
Camp swimming baths were built and opened in April 1940, and adequate chlorination of the water in the baths became a responsibility of the hygiene section.page 715