Medical Units of 2 NZEF in Middle East and Italy
The Convalescent Depot, which had left England in August 1940 and reached Egypt in September, took over on 12 October a convalescent depot at Moascar which had been run for British troops. The depot was pleasantly situated near the Suez Canal and accommodation was in Army barracks and huts. There were ample mess rooms and recreation rooms, several tennis courts, and bathing in Lake Timsah, as well as boating and launch trips. It was a very suitable place in which patients from hospital could build up their health and strength before being posted back to their units. The unit had 500 beds at Moascar, and the 379 British patients there when the New Zealand unit took over were gradually replaced by New Zealanders. Lt-Col Tennent took over the command shortly after the unit became established.