Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume II
384 — General Freyberg to the Prime Minister of New Zealand (London)1
General Freyberg to the Prime Minister of New Zealand (London)1
Many thanks for keeping me informed by your telegram of 16 June.2 The short-term policy is now in action.
Unless enemy resistance cracks by November, the state of the ground and weather conditions generally after October preclude active campaigning on the Italian front. There are, therefore, only four months when active fighting is possible, and of these one month will be spent by us in the Rome area waiting for the railways to be pushed forward.
Whatever the New Zealand Government's long-term decision may be, with Rome now in our hands and the Second Front well established I feel that some statement should be made as to the future of the 4th Reinforcements. If you decide to open leave, or rather replacement, for the 4th Reinforcements, I suggest that a plan similar to the one suggested by me during your visit be implemented by taking a percentage by ballot, the ballot to be carried out by arms of the service, on a quota to be decided by me after consultation with the senior commanders of the Division.
I am of the opinion, so long as a firm decision as to the replacement policy is announced and selection is entirely by ballot, that the return of even a portion of the 4th Reinforcements will not only keep faith with what the men may expect after your visit but it will be good for the morale of the remainder of the force.
1 Repeated to the Minister of Defence.
2 Not published. This telegram read in part:
I had a brief discussion with the Chiefs of Staff this morning and obtained information as to the plans they are considering for the use of British forces in the Pacific. While no concrete proposals are likely for some weeks, it seems reasonably clear that they will not conflict with the conclusions arrived at in your appreciation. I hope to have a further talk with General Brooke and also with the United States Chiefs of Staff in Washington….
In the meantime, pending your decision, we can carry on as we are, but an early decision will be appreciated upon the question of leave or replacement of the 4th Reinforcements, which will of course bring with it shipping problems between the Middle East and New Zealand.1