Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume I

138 — The Governor-General of New Zealand to the Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs

The Governor-General of New Zealand to the Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs

9 May 1940

The opportunity of perusing the views of the Chiefs of Staff, as set out in your telegram of 4 May (No. 135) is warmly appreciated by His Majesty's Government in New Zealand. They are content page 106 to allow convoy US 3 to proceed as originally arranged subject, firstly, to their being kept most closely informed as to developments as they occur; secondly, to the decision as to the ultimate destination being made by His Majesty's Government in New Zealand after considering the views of the Admiralty and of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom, and to their being given an opportunity, at the appropriate time, of making that decision with the full facts then available (this condition, of course, applies only to the ultimate destination and would in no way preclude the Admiralty from ordering any alteration in course, if and when this appeared necessary for the safety of the convoy); and, thirdly, to their being satisfied as to the adequacy of the escort proposed, in the case of diversion, from Capetown onwards, as to which they are at present not without anxiety. If diversion is decided upon they would appreciate a review of the position as regards escort in the light of potential enemy dispositions at that time. In the absence of intimation to the contrary, they assume that if US 3 is not diverted no diminution will be made in the escort proposed from Australia to Aden—namely, two 8-inch cruisers and one 6-inch cruiser to the Cocos Islands, and one 8-inch cruiser and two 6-inch cruisers from the Cocos Islands to Aden.