Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume I
328 — Conditions Under Which Men Of 2Nd Nzef Are Lent For Service With The Middle East Long Range Desert Patrol [Extract]
Conditions Under Which Men Of 2Nd Nzef Are Lent For Service With The Middle East Long Range Desert Patrol [Extract]
1. The NZEF will provide two patrols at full strength, i.e., a total of four officers and fifty-four other ranks, plus nine spares. Personnel will be supplied by 2 NZEF Base by arrangement between Colonel Bagnold and Brigadier Falla, Officer Commanding NZEF Base…1
3. Colonel Pierce will furnish Headquarters New Zealand Division with a list showing the order in which he wishes his twenty-seven men returned to him, nine of whom are to return at once. The balance will be returned by arrangement between Colonel Bagnold and the G2, NZEF, keeping to the priority list as far as the interests of the Long Range Patrol will allow.
4. Vacancies caused by the return of men to their units and wastage will be filled by volunteers at the Base….
6. The period of service of volunteers in the patrol will be limited to six months, after which, in the interests of the NZEF, they will be replaced by others.
7. The NZEF will maintain two patrols until Tripoli has been captured.
1 The parts of the text omitted refer to administrative arrangements, including the retention and promotion of certain officers and the selection from volunteers of men to replace those returning to their units.