The Maori Reinforcements
In the World's history no greater warrior race ever existed than the Maoris. A chivalrous enemy with magnificent traditions, it is less than sixty years since the last of the Maori wars against England ended. Since then the Maori has shown that he possesses the essential attributes to claim equality with any of the white races. At the commencement of the conflict the Maori sought the right to share with the white inhabitants of his ancient country the risks of war against the common enemy.
On the 17th October, 1914, the first Maori contingent, 580 all ranks, commenced its training at Avondale camp (Auckland). On the 14th February, 1915, 16 officers and 502 other ranks left for Gallipoli, there to enrich the traditions of their famous ancestors. Following this contingent, throughout the period of the war, reinforcements were uninterruptedly supplied for the Maori (Pioneer) battalion, which subsequently served in France and Flanders with distinction. Excellent soldiers and good sportsmen, the Maoris were admirably represented on every battlefield where this battalion served. Both in the training camp page 14
Rarotongans at Narrow Neck Camp.
and with the expeditionary force in Gallipoli, France and Flanders, the work of the Maori contingent was of the very highest standard.