Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Special Order

Special Order.

by
Lieut.Gen. Sir A. J. Godley, K.C.B., K.C.M.G. Commanding XXII. Corps.

I desire on the concluson of the Armistice with the enemy to-day to thank all ranks of the Corps for the gallantry and devotion to duty which they have displayed, and to express my admiration of their conduct. The manner in which the troops after the great exertion of the previous years and the desperate defensive battles of this spring, responded to the call for a renewed offensive, has no equal in history.

I am fully sensible to the strain imposed on Units, often depleted in numbers by the maintenance of the constant pressure which has finally worn out the enemy's power of resistance.

It was not superiority in numbers but superiority in dogged determination and courage which, in spite of the physical obstacle of successive river lines, and in spite of the difficulties created by the enemy and the hardships imposed by bad weather, broke down the enemy's defence.

Commanders and Staffs, R.A.F., Corps Mounted Troops, Artillery, Engineers, Infantry, Machine Gunners, Labour Units, Transport, R.A.M.C., Ordnance Services page break
O.M.R. and Cyclists' Combined Football Team.

O.M.R. and Cyclists' Combined Football Team.

Cyclist Battalion Football Team.

Cyclist Battalion Football Team.

page break page 105and Veterinary Services have worked loyally together toward the same end, and I congratulate them on their share in the victory of which they may all justly be proud.

(Sgd.) Alex. J. Godley,
Lieut.-General

Commanding XXII. Corps.

Headquarters,
XXII. Corps, 11th November, 1918.