Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

SMAD. An Organ of Student Opinion. 1936. Volume 7. Number 17.

Te Aute Outing

Te Aute Outing

For the third inter-College race for the N.Z.U. Cross-Country Championships, a team of six men, with two individual competiors, made the trip to Auckland. The tradition of bad weather which has dogged the event sice its inception was continued in the northern city. On Friday afternoon the four teams walked over the course in pouring rain. which continued until after the race, twenty-four hours later. On Saturday afternoon Avondale race-course was largely under water in places—indeed, the trail let through water a foot deep.

Twenty-seven started on the slippery racecourse, Hasyard (A), Stevenson (C). Stephenson (A), Francis (A) and Cairns (A) and Cairns (V) making the pace. Positions changed little throughout the rack; about halfway around the first lap hasyard was leading easily from Stephenson, while Cairns had caught Francis and Stevenson; at about this time Bagnall (V) and Horsley (V) came through to Cairns, and these three kept close together for the remainder of the distance. In the soft going Francis and Stevenson had drawn away from Cairns, whose shoes were not holding on the mud. At the end of the first round the runners were fairly well spread out, in the order Hasyard (A), Stephenson (A), Stevenson (C), Francis (A), Cairns, Horsley, Bagnall (V), and these positions did not change during the second lap. The finish included threequarters of a mile around the race-course, along which distance the men had to splash through several inches of water under a torrential downpour. Hasyard was leading on the straight, with Stephenson gradually creeping up on him. In the last twenty yards Stephenson made as amazing burst. considering the conditions, drew level with his captain, and passed him ten feet from the finish, Hasyard collapsed into a pool of water just as Stephenson passed the post; Hasyard gamely struggled up to finish in second place, but had to be carried to the dressing shed. Meanwhile Stevenson, of Canterbury, had come to third place, with Francis (A), fourth; with the Victoria trio, Cairns, Horsley and Bagnall, fifth, sixth and seventh respectively. Stephenson's time for the race was 37min. 55sces.

Auckland scored an easy win for the G. F. Dixon Trophy, with 15 points to Victoria's 32, with Canterbury third, otago fourth.

After the race the teams were entertained by the Auckland Club at a dinner and the theatre. At the dinner, Mr. G. F. Dixon, who had travelled up from Wellington, presented the trophy to the Auckland team, and all present rose in a spontaneous expression of appreciation of Mr. Dixon's interest in athletic activities.

The Victoria College team were; D. Cairns, A. Horsley, A. C. Bagnall (capt.), D. Farquhar; P. Porter, A. Stewart (individuals). The trainer, Mr. G. C. Sherwood, and Club President, Mr. G. F. Dixon also made the trip.