Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

SMAD. An Organ of Student Opinion. 1936. Volume 7. Number 17.



"Smad's" Waipukurau reporesentative has forwarded the following notes on the annual match against Te Aute College, played for the Pickett Cup:—

The team travelled up by the express on Friday, August 21, and were met by celebrated Waipukurau residents. They had a short run in the afternnon and, without opposition, looked a promising team. Friday night saw several members don their dinner suits and make for the Walpawa Hunt Club Ball, a social fixture of which no one can state with any accuracy what happened after midnight. However, everyone seemed agreed that it was wonderful show. The remainder of the team must have favoured early bed, for the manager made anxious enquiries at the Hospital next morning, but the Matron advised that, although the Nurses' Home was expectant, no one had been received either officially or unofficially. Saturday morning saw a welcome shower of rain, and a gradual clearing produced a real Hawke's Bay day in the afternoon. Te Aute were at full strength and gave a display which only Te Aute can give. V.U.C. were never in the hunt, the forwards being very poor. This was unfortunate, as one always had the feeling that the backs could have done something had they received their fair share of the ball. Half the forwards were obviously done after the first five minutes, and this made twice as much work for the remainder of the forwards, who obviously could not keep up the pace, and the whole pack petered out after half-time. Jackson showed quite a lot of dash, while Gates Fraser and Adams toiled solidly, the last-mentioned hooking well while the weight lasted. Parker played a loose game and was a thorn in the side of Te Aute. He had a good sense of anticipation and almost scored several times. Lane was sound at half-back, while Kissel did some good work at first five-eighth, He scored our only try, coming round the blind side from a loose scrum and running twenty yards to score well out. Anderson was undoubtedly the best attacking back, and in the first spell he cut through beautifully several times. He has a natural style, which was handicapped slightly by the abovementioned ball. Richards, at centre, was marking one of Te Aute's stars, and had a day's tackling practice. His vis-a-vis, however, could not get past him. The wings, Harp and McMenamin, did not get many runs. The latter was always dangerous when he received the ball, and he ran determinedly, being unlucky in not scoring on one or two occasions. The play did not run to the former's wing on attack, but he did his share of defence. Ngata was a solid last line of defence. He fielded well, kicked well and tackled perfectly. It was no fault of his that the score steadily mounted up. Te Aute gave a beautiful exhibition of the open football we all like to see, but which very few teams play to-day.

Both teams were the guests of the Sub-Union at a dinner, after which Te Aute entertained with songs and hakas. It is worthy of note that we were treated to a full war haka, such hakas being given only on rare occasions. Rain on Sunday spoilt all chances of a drive to Napier and a visit to Te Aute College. The team duly assembled on Monday morning, Jackson looking strangely pleased, while Gibbons and Holmes were also surrounded by local talent. There was also an anxious voice calling, with a sob, "Where's George?" So it looks as though "a good time was had by all."

At Palmerston North it looked as though the team would leave the train "en masse" to visit "friends." However, a glimpse of the H.B. basketball team brought back the wanderers, and the train had not gone far from Palmerston before Morrison led recruits to this carriage. Lack of long tunnels nnd a ten-minute stop at Packakariki appeared to be the reason for the exodus from the carriage, and an hour later the team disbanded for better or worse. Once again Jackson had a happy smile as he walked off with the spoils.

Thanks are due to the Central Hawke's Bay Rugby Sub-Union for the splendid time it gave our team.