Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

SMAD. An Organ of Student Opinion. 1936. Volume 7. Number 11.

The Final

The Final.

The game of the Tournament was between C.U.C. and V.U.C. when they met in the deciding match. Despite a through rolling, the ground was still heavy, yet the hockey seen was among the best displays for many a day. Both teams worked tirelessly in a hard, fast game in which there was no letting-up. As against O.U., V.U.C. Attacked from the start and kept up the pressure with such effect that C.U.C.'s defence had little opportunity of recuperating. The Canterbury forwards were a brilliant combination, but whenever they got away there were always green men between them and their objective. The three full-back formation supported by the halves functioned perfectly. Whenever there was a free-hit against them Victoria were marking their men and rarely missed an opportunity of interecepting the long, hard passes of the Reds. The first spell was a struggle, both teams straining to gain the advantage. First the green forwards would go away in a short passing rush, closely supported by their halves, only to be sent back by hard clearing shots from the full-backs. Then it would be C.U.C.'s turn. Down would charge their forwards in a speedy dash, the ball travelling among them in long, hard flights. From nowhere, almost, would appear a speedy Victorian back, followed by two others, and the rush was stemmed. Half-way through the spell, Webb had a shot at goal which soared over the net. It is difficult to say which side had the better of the first half; both teams were putting all they had into it and there was little between them. Hlaf-time came with no score.

On resumption, Victoria took up the attack again and were continually laying siege to the Red goal. The pace was beginning to tell on Canterbury, but they defended strenuously. The four half-backs were a source of great strength to Victoria, and their support on attack was very disconcerting to the opposition. At this stage of the game, the green forwards were within striking distance several times but failed to finish off promising movements. The Canterbury full-backs were called upon to battle strenuously and did so with hard, clean drives. But V.U.C. gave them little rest and with ten minutes to go, from a movement down the right, Shaw secured, broke through the defence like a flash and sent a beautiful shot into the corner of the net. C.U.C. now attacked with great determination and the closing minutes when the light was fading were anxious ones for V.U.C. supporters. The tension was terrific, especially when C.U.C. gained a penalty corner. But the defence held and the Seddon Stick had found a new home.

The team won as a team in which combination and positional play counted for everything. Special praise is due to the coach, Mr. Jacobsen and his system, the success of which should be a source of as much satisfation to him as it is to us.