Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

SMAD. An Organ of Student Opinion. 1933. Volume 4. Number 5.

Beer Drinkers Battle for the Kelburn Keg. — North Wins 9 to Nill

Beer Drinkers Battle for the Kelburn Keg.

North Wins 9 to Nill

The first Annual Football Match for the Kelburn Keg was played all Lyad Bay by two teams from Weir House on Saturday, August 5th. The teams lined out as follows:—

Northerners..—Cotier. Sainsbury, Redwood. Donovan (Capt.), McNaught, Mules, Galbraith, Carlyon, Thurston, Connell, O'Shea, Baker, O'Conner, Brown, and Mason.

Southerners.—Ewing, Grover, Wild (Capt.), Shaw, Masters, Turnbull, Bradshaw, Gray, Birks, Paul, Willis, Finnigan, Hawthorn, and Bright.

The game was to have been played at Kelburn Park, but owing to the weather the ground was not in a fit state for play, and consequently the game was played at Lyall Bay. After posing for the cameramen, the teams took the field, where the South gave a very spirited Haka, which received great applause from their opopnents. From the kick-off the game took on the form of some important International fixture, and no pains were spared in the scrums. The conditions, which were ideal, for the North pack, proved to be the downfall of the speedy South backs, and although they handled exceptionally well considering the conditions, their efforts were of no avail on such a slippery ground. However, the Northerners are to be congratulated on the tactics that they thought out at their training nights in the House Gym., but nevertheless must consider themselves very lucky as regards the weather, which proved the undoing of such a fine line of backs as was fielded by the South team. Had it been a fine day and the match played on Kelburn Park, the spectators would have witnessed passing rushes of All Black standard, but as it was there was neither spectators nor passing rushes. However, after some very heady work on the part of the Northerners, they managed to annex the first victory with the score standing at 9—0. The teams then adjourned to a suitable resting-place to recover. After dinner, Dr. Sutherland presented the coveted trophy to the Northern captain, who suitably replied to the remarks of the Warden. Speeches were also given by Mr. Wild, on behalf of the Southern Team, Mr. Palmer-Jones, as one-third of the spectators, and Mr. Dennis Carey, the referee, thanked the House for the splendid reception and enjoyable dinner.