SMAD. An Organ of Student Opinion. 1932. Volume 3. Number 3.
Let Them All Come
Let Them All Come.
Whose magazine is this, anyway? Whose views does it express? It calls itself, ambitiously, the "Organ of Student opinion." but issue after issue it lumbers heavily along under the sweated labour of two or three pen-pushers.
"Let us look this horse in the mouth and see where the screw is loose!" we muttered grimly. We stopped, looked, and listened; and after exhaustive calculations of great mathematical exactitude we discovered the amazing fact that apart from Club matter the average contribution per student per month is barely one word! For the Mecca of wit and learning it's—well, something on this side of the verbose, don't you think? We were so overcome that you could have knocked us down with a sledge hammer.
Ideas are like money—futile unless circulated. Is Victoria College going to let her Pierian Spring of Thought cream and mantle like a standing pond? Not on your life! So roll up, old tops and topsies. and make a "wee bit ripple!"
If they would, the students could make 'Smad" a magazine teeming with original wit and stimarting thought, instead of leaving it to languish as a dumping ground for pot-boilers.
If you're wrong or if you're right,
"Smad's" the place to air your views.
If you've thought of something bright,
"Smad's" the place to spill the never
Tell the Marines!
By some odd jolt of Fortune's jar a double rlo.se of salt got shaken into a batch of sandwiches at a recent 'Varsity scrounge, and some idiot suggested that if they were put out as "Briny Specials" everyone would vote them "thirst rate!" Some truth in it. too, for the supplies of coffee got thoroughly exhausted trying to pacify the parching palates.
At the Capping Ceremony.
Chorus: "Professor H-nt-r, does that collar make you a member of the Tail-Waggers' Club?"
- May 31st.—.Mathematical and Physical Society.
- June 2nd and 3rd.—Inter-University Hockey Tournament.
- June 3nd.—Debating Society.
- June 3rd.—Hockey Tournament Dance.
- June 10th.—Dramatic Club.
- June 14th.—Mathematical and Physical Society.
- June 17th.—Dramatic Club.
- June 18th.—Haeremai Club 1/- Dance.
- June 24th.—Annual General Meeting.
- June 25th.—Debating Society.
- June 28th.—Mathematical and Physical Society.
- July 1st and 2nd.—Dramatic Club Performance in Y.W.C.A. Hall.
- July 7th.—Next "Smad" out.
Our advertising policy is to let you know who have the best goods for sale at prices to suit students —even bursars.
Patronise the firms who advertise in your magazine and don't forget to mention "Smad."
The next issue of "Smad" will appear on 7th July. Closing date for contributions 27th June. Club Secretaries, please note date. Keep your Clubs, before the public eye.
- Editor: E. C. Fussell. 'Phone 54-820 .
- Sub-Editor: Miss E. A Plank. 'Phone 44-811.