The Spike: or, Victoria College Review September 1921
One evening in the second term we threw open the doors of our new Common Room to all-comers (for a trifling sum of money). The number of people present entirely made up for any lack of other decorative furnishings. We imported a piano, chairs, and college talent for the occasion, and various "objects d'art "were kindly lent by friends. Supper was provided in the tea-room.
The Common Room is a great asset to the women's college life, and we hope that all college women will contribute towards its furnishing and upkeep. We are trying to organise some debates, not inany way to oppose the Debating Society, but in order to accustom the women to speak in public. Such debates seem to have been very successful years ago in the old Common Room.
In July the annual general meeting of the Club took place. A new constitution was adopted, its most salient feature being that all women-students who have been or are now financial members of the Students' Association are ipso facto members of the Women's Club. The officers elected were:—
Patronesses: The Professors' wives. Miss M. England. Miss Wood. President: Miss E. M. Madeley. Vice-President : Miss V. Reader. Secretary and Treasurer: Miss E. C. Wilson. Committee: Mrs. Stainton (past student), Misses U. Castle (debating), E. Geddis (fresher). Auditor: Miss L. Keeble. Delegate to Women's National Council : Miss D. F. Priestley.