Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review October 1914

Auckland Trip

Auckland Trip.

At last it is possible to report that our much-talked-of return visit to Auckland 'Varsity has been paid. Owing to there being five of our Seniors selected to represent Welling-ton in the Shield match against Auckland, the opportunity was taken of getting the remainder of the team away too. For various reasons, difficulty was experienced in getting our best team away, but we managed to fill our ranks from the Auckland Camp, where page 43 several of Salamanca's men who have responded to the call of Empire have been undergoing training before leaving our shores. We are also indebted to two or three others of the Rep. team—all ex-University players—for filling the gaps. Two of these had to leave before the match was finished, in order to catch their train, otherwise we might have been able to have given a better account of ourselves. As it was, we were defeated by 3 goals to 1, after a most enjoyable and well-contested game.

The Auckland men gave us a sample of their noted hospitality, and made the trip most enjoyable from all points of view. They motored us round for a three hours' spin one afternoon.

Monday was the day of the match, and after the game the ladies of the 'Varsity provided morning tea. It would not do to omit to mention the enjoyable evening spent at the University ball on the Saturday night. Rumour has it that some of the programmes were very much mixed.

We were also the guests of the Aucklanders at the "Smart Set" on the Friday night.

On Monday afternoon the crowd gathered for a trip to Lake Takapuna. The boat took us across "Dishwater" to "Bays-water," where we embarked on the famous steam trams for the beach. After a slight respite in the shape of afternoon tea at the kiosk, we were kindly allowed access to the picturesque grounds of Mr. Brent's estate. We returned to Auckland about 6 p.m., and left the same evening at 9. Several of the V.C. soldiers were down to bid us farewell, and we were thus enabled to give the crowd several College songs, finishing up appropriately with "One Stave More."

All the boys from Camp send farewell greetings to their many friends "on the hill."