Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria College Review June 1914



"Your looks are pale and wild, and do import some misadventure."


Ichabod! The glory has departed. For the first time since the beginning of the Easter Tournaments, the wooden spoon was brought home by the wearers of the gold and green. And yet the three wins registered by the Victoria University College were remarkable for this fact—each established a new record. So despite the fact of our position we can with reason feel proud of the efforts of our competitors.

The first event (putting the shot) was won by J. Boyne, of Otago. Our first success was scored in the mile flat, which was won by A. Hudson in the record time of 4 minutes 32 seconds. Hudson was "out" to break the record, and ran a well-judged race. The 220 yards was won by Mansell of Canterbury, in 24 seconds. Christie of Otago might easily have been first, but he was obviously untrained, and faded away badly at the finish of the race. The Long Jump was won by Harston of Auckland, with a splendid leap of 21 feet 5 inches. Young (C.U.C.), persistently jumped from about a foot behind the taking-off board.

The first race after the adjournment was the 120 hurdles. The two heats were hotly contested. Unfortunately for us, K. Strack fell at the fifth leap, and our chances of scoring in this event were gone. Stewart of Auckland won the final in 16 seconds, a time which many, including the winner himself, are inclined to doubt. Th 880 yards flat proved one of the most exciting events oi the clay. Bishop of Otago judged his race well, and sprinting at the finish gained a well-deserved first place. In the hammer-throwing event, Boyne of Otago, established a new record—131 feet 8 inches—an excellent per page 31 formance, and one which will take some beating. R. L. Christie (O.U.), won the 100 yards in 10 seconds. This seems almost too good to be true, although the race was run with the wind.

Our second win was secured by A. B. Sievwright in the Mile Walk. Our representative broke his own record of 1913 by completing the distance in 7 minutes 6 seconds. Ross of Otago went ahead at the start, but Sievwright gradually drew ahead; and though the Otago man stuck doggedly to his task, he finished 10 yards behind the winner. In the High Jump, Otago scored three points. Fisher, the winner, jumped particularly well. The 440 yards resulted in a win for W. J. Mansell (C.U.C.) The Three mile, as expected, proved an easy win for Hudson (V.U.C.), with Williams (V.U.C.) second. Hudson went well to the front at the start, and gradually increased his lead, winning in 15 minutes 24 seconds—a record. Luck, however, seemed to be against us to the end. In the 440 hurdles Stewart of Auckland (who was hurdling very well), and K. Strack of "ours," in the lead, were taking the last hurdle together when Strack fell, and Young of Canterbury and Fisher of Otago "tied" for second place, leaving us with the wooden spoon. Stewart's time (64 seconds) was the last of seven records broken during the day.