Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria College Review, October 1908

New Zealand University v. Sydney University. — First Match: Won by Sydney 30—9

New Zealand University v. Sydney University.

First Match: Won by Sydney 30—9.

The teams were:—

New Zealand

  • Full Back:
  • H. F. O'Leary;
  • Three-quarters:
  • H. B. Young, F. W. B. Goodbehere, M.Rhodes;
  • Five-eighths:
  • R. Nuku, E. K. Lomas;
  • Half:
  • R. Dansey (Captain);
  • Forwards:
  • L. M. Tansey (wing), A. D. Lynch, E. j. Wilson, W. Grace,
  • G. S. Collyns, J. H. Lang, F. A. de la Mare, L. Potter.


  • Full Back:
  • C. A. Verge;
  • Three-quarters:
  • C. W. Roe, J J. Luddy, J. James, N. Barker;
  • Halves:
  • E. Fisher, W. F. Matthews;
  • Forwards:
  • H. Bullock, Jas. Hughes, R. G. Waddy, K. J. Reynolds,
  • John Hughes, J. Fitzhardinge, C. A. Hammond, F. McKeown.

Matthews won the toss and took advantage of a fresh breeze. The first try fell to Goodbehere after some good passing by Young, Rhodes and Nuku. The next score fell to Matthews who got through on the blind side, and shortly afterwards the same player by means of a high punt which eluded O'Leary and bounced wide, gave Waddy a chance of which lie availed himself. The third Sydney try was obtained by Luddy. At the end of the first spell Sydney was leading by 9 points to three. The second spell opened with a good passing rush from which Nuku scored. The Sydney forwards page 28 returned to the charge and Hammond scored between the posts. Verge converting. Fitzhardinge and the Hughes brothers were instrumental in obtaining the next try, and almost immediately afterwards Matthews placed Hammond in a scoring position and another try resulted. An expiring effort on the part of New Zealand transferred play to the other end and Goodbehere scored his second try. During the last few minutes Sydney had it all their own way and Matthews and James Hughes added tries the last one of which Verge converted.

Mr. Pauling was referee.

Second Match: Won by Sydney. 26—11.

The Sydney team was unchanged. The following represented New Zealand:—

  • Full Back;
  • H. F. O'Leary;
  • Three-quarters:
  • L. G. Robinson, A. Adams, R. Dansey (Captain);
  • Five-eighths:
  • H. B. Young, E. K. Lomas;
  • Half:
  • W. A. Gray;
  • Forwards:
  • D. E, Fenwick, E. J. Wilson, W. Grace, G. S. Collyns,
  • J. H. Lang, F. A. de la Mare, L. Potter and L. Tansey (wing.)

The opening stages of the game found the home team mostly on the defensive, Sydney, however, scored first, Barker obtaining the ball and giving an exhibition of his pace. The try was converted by Verge. New Zealand then came with a rush and a very pretty passing movement in which most of the backs took part resulted in Robinson scoring a try which Adams converted. A few minutes later Young marked in front of the posts and Dansey kicked a goal. Shortly afterwards a very fine series of short passes ended in Grace crossing the line. He lost the ball, however, and de la Mare who was close up, was awarded the try. Towards the end of the spell Sydney set up a strong attack, and Barker receiving a good pass from Luddy, hit home. The spell ended—New Zealand 11; Sydney 8. The second half began with fairly even play but soon Matthews made a pretty opening from which Luddy scored a good try. Now Sydney began to attack in force, and Barker after a good run, put the Hughes brothers in a strong position from which James Hughes scored, and page 29 Verge converted. In the last few minutes Fisher scored a try which he converted and Bullock added the final one, Verge adding the additional points. The game ended—Sydney 26 points; New Zealand 11.

Mr. W. J. Howe was referee.