Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

[untitled]

page 625

It was my intention to have completed, in time for presentation to the General Assembly during the present session, the Final Report of the Settlement of the Land Claims. I have been prevented from carrying out my intention, partly because I have not had time to put together in a readable shape and within convenient limits the large amount of curious information that I have collected in connection with these claims, and partly because it seemed premature to present a "final report" upon a matter the principal points of which it had been agreed to discuss over again this year.

The object I now have in view, therefore, is not so much to offer the full account of the general subject which I yet hope to give, as to place at the disposal of the Government a summary of sufficiently complete information on all the points which ought to be considered in any proposed measure this session. Details are accordingly appended under the following heads:—

I.—The State of Settlement of the Claims, including—
  • (1.) The Extent of Land claimed, surveyed, and awarded or granted; and (2.) The Amount of Scrip, Money, or Debentures issued instead of Grants.
II.—The Surplus Land reverting to the Crown.
III.—The Special Cases remaining unsettled, reserved for consideration, or in which I propose action should be taken.
IV.—The General Question as to whether further relief should be extended to all claimants alike.