Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims



Be it known unto all men who shall see this deed, That we the Chiefs and other men of 1839. 26 June.Coromandel District.Ngatimaru and Ngatiwanaunga a part of the people of Hauraki residing at Hauraki on the Eastern side of the North Island of New Zealand, who have signed this deed, have sold and given up that portion of land belonging to us called the Tiki this twenty-sixth day of June in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine, The land, all timber, roads rivers, watercourses, all fencing ditches Sacred places, and every Tiki.James Preece.thing else which grows or lies on or is beneath this place of ours called the Tiki being page 348by estimation Fifty Acres more or less. We now entirely give it up to James Preece for his children or relatives for ever or for any person named by the said James Preece who resides at Hauraki, either to cultivate or to sell it, himself or his children or his relations or any person named by him, shall think fit. The place sold by us lies at Boundaries. [50 acres.]Waiau. The boundaries of this place, the Tiki, commences at the Tiki and goes Eastward to the Mataotetorea and from thence to the Paiaka, from thence it turns to the creek north west to the Kaneomahuika, from thence turning to the creek southward to the Tiki.
Receipt.We have received at the hands of James Preece as a payment for our place called the Tiki, viz. Nine Blankets, Four Axes, five Shirts, Seven Spades, four Adzes, four Hoes, three Gowns, one Lock, one Superfine Blk. Coat. Look at our marks which we have written this Twenty-sixth day of June in-the year of our Lord 1839.



A true translation.

Henry Clarke, Intr.

No. 276.O.L.C.A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 11th March, 1879.