Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

page 284

Translation.

1839. 13 December.Whangarei District.Know all men by this writing of ours—Tirerau, Motutara, Amotiriri, Tiakiriri, Karekau, Tutahi, Iwitahi, Waka Ariki, Pou, Kawanui, Tauwitu; Toru, Kahunui, Hamiora Maru, Parihoro, Umangawa, Haungere, Te Rou, Hori Tipoki, Tipene Hari, Paura Kaitangata Raukaka.let go and sell to James Busby the Resident of the Queen of England for him and his children and relatives for ever to occupy or sell or do what they please with the lands of our forefathers and of us of which the following are the names, Paupauwenua, Rangiora, Ruakaka, Waipapa, Waitangata, Wakatete, Maunga wiu, Pokapu, Mahikitahi, Waiahoru, and all the farms and places within the following boundaries, and all things above Boundaries. 25,000 acres.and all things below. This is the boundary, On the North, the River and Harbour of Wangarei, on the East the great sea, on the South the Ridge commencing at the sea, Kukunui by name, inwards to the Mata, inwards, inwards to Maunga Hiore, inwards to Nga Toka, inwards to Te Mai, inwards to Tangi Hua, inwards to Puke Mokimoki, on the South West and West running inwards to the Wai a Horu and to the Warau by the road and falling by the crown of Tikorangi to the termination by the dry Puriri tree at Piri Noa.
Receipt for £40 and merchandise.This is the payment: Forty Pounds in Gold money, Sixty Blankets, ten Coats, ten pairs Black Cloth Trowsers, twenty pairs White Duck Trowsers, Twenty Black (i.e. Blue woolen) shirts, twenty-five White Shirts (i.e. check) Four Cloaks, five Pieces of Print, fifteen Handkerchiefs, three Single Barrelled Fowling pieces, Twenty spades, twenty Hoes, twenty Hatchets, fifteen Iron Pots, ten Axes and Adzes, two bags of Shot, five cannisters Gunpowder, eighty pounds Tobacco, one box Pipes.

Therefore we have written our marks as a sign of this resignation and selling of Wangarei on the thirteenth day of the month of December, One thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

Pomare's consent to sale.I have this day agreed to the above for the Cloak which I have received as my portion for the land of my Forefathers at "Ruakaka." 23 Decr. 1839.

The mark of Pomare x.

Witness—

Alex. Busby.

Examined with the Original Deed and Copy, and Translation found correct.

H. T. Kemp, Intr.
Edward L. Godfrey.
M. Richmond.

Russell, 8 Feb.,

No. 23.O.L.C.A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed, and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington,19th September, 1878.