Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Te Mata. Block (Peter Monro), Hokianga District

Te Mata. Block (Peter Monro), Hokianga District.

Know all men by these Presents that in consideration of Peter Monro of Hokianga 1835. 13 October.Hokianga District. New Zealand having duly paid us the undersigned Natives or Resident Chiefs and Te Mata.Peter Monro. Proprietors of Land on the West side of the River Hokianga the following articles viz.,
£- s. d.
Sixteen Blankets @ Twenty shillings 16 0 0
Four Casks Gunpowder 25lbs. @ Fifty do. 10 0 0
Twelve Spades @ six shillings ea. 3 12 0
Five Iron Pots @ Eight do. ea. 2 0 0
1 Cask Tobacco 157lbs. @ Two do 1514 0
Twelve Shirts @ Six shillings ea. 3 12 0
Twenty-four doz. Pipes @ 1 shilling 1 4 0
Two Fowling Pieces with Cases complete @ 200/ 20 0 0
Twelve Hatchets @ four shillings each 2 8 0
One thousand Gun Flints @ thirty shillings. 1 10 0
Ten Hoes at four shillings. 2 0 0
Amounting to Seventy-Eight Pounds Sterling £78 0 0
page 242
Boundaries. [600 acres.] being the value or price affixed by us on a certain Portion of land on the West side of the above mentioned River Hokianga bounded on the South side by a Creek called or known by the name Pupuwai On the North side by a Creek called Oshopha'mee and bounded on the back or West side by a Forest of Timber known by the name of Ra Weeteroa and on the East or front side by the River Hokianga extending to Low Water Mark. That we the undersigned Resident Chiefs and Proprietors of the above mentioned Land do hereby grant bargain sell unto the said Peter Monro his heirs and assigns for ever the before mentioned Land in the said River herein described with all appurtenances whatsoever in the peace and quiet possession of the same. In Witness whereof we have hereunto set our hands at Orongotaa being duly assembled here for that purpose this thirteenth day of October in the Tear of the Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-five.

Papahea his x mark.
Warra his x do.
Te Taka his x do.
Shashi his x do.
Ngaropo his x do.
Adua her x mark.
Mueu his x do.
Ranghatcera his x do.
Moetarra his x do.

Witness—

Saml. Butler.
Wm. Toung.
Robert Angus.
Edward Dunn.
Edward Davis.

Certificate of notary public. I Joseph Allport of Hobart Town in Van Dieman's Land Notary Public by Royal Authority duly admitted and sworn Do hereby Certify and Attest unto all whom it may concern that the foregoing is a true and faithful Copy agreeing word for word and figure for figure with the Original Documents to me this day produced and after due examination returned as I do attest under my Notarial Form and Seal of Office to serve and avail where need may require. Done and Passed at Hobart Town aforesaid the twenty-third day of July one thousand eight hundred and forty-one.

Josh. Allport, Not. Pub.