Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

(Enclosure in No. 272.) — Transfer from George F. Russell to Henry Jellicoe

(Enclosure in No. 272.)
Transfer from George F. Russell to Henry Jellicoe.

Know all Men by these presents that I George Frederick Russell in the Island of New 1838. 11 December.Te Toke.Henry Jellicoe. Zealand have this day alienated and sold unto Henry Jellicoe now of Hokianga New Zealand late of Vandieman's Land, all that parcel of Land &c. &c. known by the name of Te Toke and minutely described in the accompanying Deed and instrument, for himself, his Heirs, Administrators, Executors and Assigns to enjoy without let or hindrance from me or the Chiefs as before named from henceforth and for ever. In consideration of which I acknowledge to have this day received Four Hundred Pounds Receipt for £400. as a full and just payment for the same and free from all other claims and incumbrances whatsoever with the sole reservation of half an acre of ground surrounding the present Taboo'd or sacred spot, situate on the Totara, on which the aforesaid George Frederick Russell, his Heirs, Administrators, Executors and Assigns reserves to himself the right of possession, also permission to cut any Timber growing on that portion of the Lands known by the name of Te Totara which latter reservation relative to the Timber shall be only for the space or Term of Five Years from the date of this Agreement. Witness my hand and seal this Eleventh day of December, Anno Domini, One Thousand Eight Hundred and thirty-Eight.

(Sign'd) George Frederick Russell.
Sign'd Seal'd and delivered in presence of—
(Sign'd) Edward Campbell.
(Sign'd) Edmund Cooke.

On the 13th day of January 1839 an additional payment made to that mentioned inFurther payment given. the foregoing Deed of Te Toke to the Native Chiefs here, alias, Thomas Walker, Horomona, Rewiri, Poroa, and others, consisting of Two Cases of Cavendish Tobacco, Six Casks of Gunpowder 25 lbs each, Three pairs of Blankets, Six Cotton Shirts, and Two Pounds in Sterling Money.

G. F. Russell.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Transfer, and Memorandum.No. 122.O.L.C.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 14th November, 1878.