Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Kororareka (Land at), Bay of Islands District

Kororareka (Land at), Bay of Islands District.

Kororarika Augt. 5th 1837. 1837. 5 August. Bay of Islands District.
Know all men that I Arukka a Native Chief of New Zealand have this day sold and demised a parcel of Land situate at Kororarika aforesaid and known by the name of Kororareka. ——containing by estimate about 2 acres more or less to Thos. Spicer his Heirs or Thomas Spicer. Assigns for ever, together with all Wood Water Minerals Stone or other valuables either [2 acres.] above or below the surface of said Land for payment of one double barrel Fowling piece Receipt. and ten pounds of Tobacco, 1 cask of Powder. The said Land has about 120 ft. frontage to a swamp behind the Settlement, the Western [unclear: the] running North 90 ft., then an angle N.E. 40 ft., continuation of line running North 390, then line running East about 210, then the East by a line running South about 300 ft., and an angle running back to the Swamp about 300 feet.

Arukka x his mark.

Witness—

Thomas Grenville.

I the undersigned do in the presence of the witnesses whose names are hereuntoTransfer to G.T. Clayton. annexed pass over unto Geo. Thos. Clayton his heirs and executors the Land specified on the other side of this writing for ever and ever. Witness my hand this 3rd day of Octr. 1838.

Thos. Spicer.

True Copy.

Henry Tacy Kemp.