Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Kororareka Beach (Land on), Bay of Islands District

Kororareka Beach (Land on), Bay of Islands District.

1835. 21 July.Bay of Islands District. I the undersigned Tarea a Native Chief of the Bay of Islands in New Zealand do hereby declare and acknowledge that in consideration of Two Muskets and two Swords Kororareka Beach (Land on). delivered to me by Thomas Spicer of Kororareka in New Zealand, Dealer, the receipt of which I do hereby acknowledge I have Granted bargained and sold to the said Thomas Spicer all that piece or portion of land or ground situate lying and being on Kororareka Thomas Spicer. beach in the Bay of Islands aforesaid bounded in front by the said Beach and measuring Boundaries. nearly six feet on one side by the premises of Fitzsimmons and Butterworth and of Akedo measuring fifty one yards on the other side by the premises of Tarea and measuring also fifty one yards from the beach to the Swamp and on the rear by the said Swamp measuring thirteen yards and by premises occupied by the said Fitzsimmons and Butterworth measuring nine yards To Have and to Hold the said land to the said Thomas Spicer his heirs and assigns for ever; And I do hereby further declare that I have full right and power to convey the said land to the said Thomas Spicer and that the same land is free from all claims and incumbrances whatsoever and that the said Thomas Spicer shall have and enjoy full free and peaceable possession of the same without any molestation or disturbance by me or any other person whomsoever And that I will at all future times execute such other instrument or conveyance as shall be demanded by the said Thomas Spicer his heirs or assigns In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this Twenty-first day of July one thousand eight hundred and thirty-five.

Tarea his mark x.

Signed in the presence of Witness—
Benj. Turner.

Receipt. Payment for the land 2 Muskets 2 Swords 1 Blanket, 21 pound Tobacco, 6 pipes, 1 Tomehawk. Received payment.

Tarea his mark x.