Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1834. 26 November.Kotea-Tangata No. 1. Know all men by this writing of mine that I Rewa let go and sell to the Revd. H. Williams in behalf of the Church Missionary Society for ever for him or them to keep Church of England Mission. to sell or to do what they like with That portion of land called Kotea Tangata situated at Kororareka in the Bay of Islands. And this is the boundary on the West, from an old path road close down to the East side of the Swamp at the back of the Pa: on the [4½ acres.] North a piece of land called Onekura continuing in a direct line to the edge of the swamp over the hill called Matauhi: on the East Matauhi: on the South by a piece of land belonging to Moka called Puketutu. The extreme breadth of the whole being Receipt. forty-three yards. This is the payment which I have received, viz., Twenty-five Dollars. Therefore I write my mark as a sign to this resignation and selling In the year One thousand Eight hundred and Thirty-four in this Twenty-sixth day of November.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses.]

True Translation.

H. T. Kemp.

No. 299.O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 10th April, 1879.