Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1836. 19 February.Hohi. Know all men by this writing that I Tatari let go and sell to John King, for him, his children and relatives for ever the land of my father and of me also to dwell on, to sell, or do whatever they list. And this is the boundary, it goes up from Nonoti, from the John King. Swamp at Waitohora to the Kiripaka and proceeds along the ridge above the little wood Boundaries. at the end of the water at Waitohora, and all trees standing and whatsoever is above or below. This is the payment which I have received, one Spade, one Blanket, two Receipt. Hatchets, 1 Comb, 3 lbs. of Tobacco, twenty Pipes, one pair of Trowsers. Wherefore I write my signature as a mark of this transaction on the nineteenth day of February, in the year one thousand eight hundred and thirty-six.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses]

True Translation.

Henry Tacy Kemp.

No. 274c.O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deeds and Translations.

Wellington, 6th March, 1879.

H. Hanson Turton.