Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Pipitea No. 1 Block (R. Tod), Wellington District

Pipitea No. 1 Block (R. Tod), Wellington District.

To all Chieftains and others of New Zealand And to all Christian People, Moturoa 1840. 3 January.Wellington District.Pipitea No. 1 one of the Chiefs of Pipitere in Port Nicholson sends Greeting Know Ye that I the said Moturoa of Pipitere for and in consideration of the sum of Twelve pounds sterling to me in hand paid and delivered by Robert Tod late of South Australia but now resident Robert Tod. in Port Nicholson before or at the time of the sealing and delivery of these presents the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge I the said Moturoa of Pipitere have granted bargained sold aliened enfeoffed and confirmed and by these presents do grant bargain sell alien enfeoff and confirm unto the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns for ever, All Boundaries. that piece of Land adjoining the Sea and situated to the South and by West of the Natyaway Village. It runs parallel to the Sea and runs up the ridge at the back. Its boundary line lies to the North and by East and commences at the distance of Five hundred and eighteen 8/12 feet from a line drawn from the Natyaway Church to the Sea. The aforesaid piece of land then measures from North and by East to South and by West Two hundred and fifty-one and a half feet. It measures from the Sea at high water mark to beyond the ridge parallel to the sea Two hundred and Thirty-two feet besides comprehending the shore down to low water mark. Together with all Rivers Waters Streams of Water Creeks and Bays and together also with the right and uninterupted right of fishing and the fishes in the said Waters Creeks and Bays and together also with all mines and minerals in or on the said piece or parcel of land and every part thereof And the Reversions and Remainders thereof and all the estate right title interest claim and demand whatsoever of me the said Moturoa of Pipitere of in and to the same land and premises and every part and parcel thereof To have and to hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns To the only proper use and behoof of the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns for ever. And I the said Moturoa of Pipitere for my self my heirs executors and administrators do covenant and grant to and with the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns that I the said Moturoa of Pipitere now am lawfully and rightfully seized of in and to the said land and premises and that I have good right full power and authority in my own right to grant and convey all and singular the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns And that the said Robert Tod his heirs and assigns shall and may at all time for ever hereafter peaceably and quietly have hold possess and enjoy the said land hereditaments and premises above mentioned with the appurtenances without the let trouble hindrance molestation or denial of me the said Moturoa of Pipitere my heirs executors or administrators or any other person or persons whomsoever claiming or to claim by from or under me or them. In Witness whereof I the said Moturoa of Pipitere have set my hand and traced the tattoo or lines on my face hereon by way of Seal and confirmation to this my Act and Instrument the third day of January one thousand eight hundred and forty.

x he tohu na Moturoa. L.S.

The above written document was signed sealed and delivered by the said Moturoa of Pipitere the same having been first read over and explained to him in the presence of—

Reihana Deweti.
Barbra Wark,
Witness.

page 416 Receipt for £12. Received the day and year first within written of the within named Robert Tod the sum of Twelve Pounds Sterling Good and Lawful Money of Great Britain being the consideration within mentioned to be paid and delivered to me. £12.

x He tohu na Moturoa.

Witness—

Reihana Deweti.
Barbra Wark,
Witness.

Receipt for £3. Received from Robert Tod aforesaid Three Sovereigns for preventing Colonel Wakefield from continuing to trespass on the piece of land aforesaid. Port Nicholson, 12 May, 1840.

x he tohu na Moturoa.

Reihana Deweti, witness.
witness—James Mitchell.
Barbra Wark, Witness.

A true Copy of the Original Deed having been read over and examined therewith by us.

W. Davies Hanson,

Sol., Wellington.

Richard Collins, his Clerk.

No. 4. Entd. in Court of Claims, N.Z., June 4/42.—R. T. C. Yates, Secy.