Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

Hearken all men. Patuhiki, Kahu, Moturoa, Ramu, Ngapuna, Maru and Ngonge have 1839. 3 June.Maumaurangikau. let go land to Reihana (Richard) and his children. The boundary on the south side is Pipitea along the stream ascending the mountain Tinakore and descending to the other Deed of gift to Reihana. side of the mountain: the name of the north side is the stream Taurimu falling on each side. The name of the place is Maumaurangikau. Written the 3rd day of June 1839. [50 acres.] The extent of the land is 50 acres more or less as it has not been measured. This is the design of this book that it may bind. It will be settled at some future time. This is my saying to them and they all consented to my words. This land is given to me and my children henceforth with every thing lying upon the said land. It is a gift and I will make a present for the giving of this to me. Written in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ 1839 as a token lest there should be any mistake about the giving of it to me It was let go by Patuhiki &c. as a piece of land to Reihana and his children. Written on the 3rd of June lest it should be forgotten henceforth as a remembrance to me.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

Wellington, June 12, 1843.

E. Meurant, Interpreter.