Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

Ahuahu, January 3rd, 1840.
1840. 3 January.Kawhia District.Tekoteko, Etc.I Te Waru do hereby deliver to the Rev. J. Whiteley for the missionaries and for their heirs for ever, my land known by the names of Te Tekoteko and Te Rawiri.
Wesleyan Mission.The said land lieth on the Awaroa, Kawhia, New Zealand, by the side of the village called England or Huwihuwiawa, the village of Paul. A bend in the river is the boundary [4 acres.] on two sides, and Huwihuwiawa is the other boundary.
Receipt.The payment for the said lands are these, Two Pounds each, two Blankets and two Razors received by me from Mr. Whiteley. Therefore I fully deliver up the said land to him on this the third day of January in the year One thousand eight hundred and forty, and affix hereto my signature.

Te Waru x his mark.
John Whiteley, Resident Missionary.

Witnesses—

James Wallis. Edward Meurant.

Correct Translation.

Thomas S. Forsaith.

No. 390c.O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 8th December, 1879.