Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

(Enclosure 2 in No. 406.) — Tauranga Block (Ahuahu Mission-station), Kawhia District

(Enclosure 2 in No. 406.)
Tauranga Block (Ahuahu Mission-station), Kawhia District.

Kawia, New Zealand, April 12, 1839.
Know all men by these presents that I Te Au a Chief of this place and sole proprietor 1839. 12 April.Tauranga. of the land hereafter described do hereby sell and deliver up for ever to Revd. John Whiteley on behalf of the Wesleyan Mission all that parcel of land called Tauranga situate on the West side of the Creek called Huwatahi, and bounded on the North by Boundaries. [6 acres.] the land belonging to the Mission Station, Ahuahu, Waiharakeke, Kawia: on the East by the above named Creek Huwatahi: on the South by a line running Westward from the point called Ikutoto and including that point to the top of a hill called Te Kume: and on the West by a line running along the ridge from Te Kume to Te Waotu.

The above land contains about six acres more or less, and for the same including all tapued places water runs and everything whatsoever pertaining to the said land I have this day received the following articles as payment, viz., 6 Axes, 6 Spades, 6 Blankets, and 18 yds. of Print. As Witness my hand this 12th day of April 1839.

Signed. Te Au x his mark.
" Wero x her mark.
" Tatata.

Witnesses—

Signed. Hakopa Tauranga.
" William Johnston.

True Copy.

Thomas S. Forsaith.