Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Motuhunga Block, Whangaroa, Mangonui District

page 34

Motuhunga Block, Whangaroa, Mangonui District.

1838. 27 August.Mangonui DistrictThis Indenture made the Twenty-Seventh day of August in the year of our Lord 1838, Witnesseth that I Woodaroa Native Chief of Wongaroa New Zealand do hereby sell Motuhunga. release and assign and by these presents have sold released and assigned unto Henry Henry D. Snowden. Snowden Sawyer of Wongaroa aforesaid his heirs executors administrators and assigns [15 acres.] all that piece or parcell of Land called or known by the Name of Mutaunga with the House thereon standing being in all about Fifteen acres being for and in consideration of the sum of One Pound of Lawfull Money of Great Britain together with One Double Barrell Fowling piece one Box of Perchustion Caps and one Shirt the whole of which has been duly and truly paid to me Woodaroa Native Chief as aforesaid by the said Receipt. Henry Snowden and the receipt of which I do hereby acknowledge and I Woodaroa do hereby promise and agree to keep the said Henry Snowden in peaceable and quiet possession of the said piece or parcell of Ground called or known by the Name of Mutaunga, the above mentioned his heirs executors administrators and assigns for ever in Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Twenty Seventh day of August in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight.

Woodaroa's Mark x.
Hongi.
Hemi Paora.

Witness—

T. J Umbers.
Robert Lawson.
F. Dunell.

True Copy.

H. Tact Kemp.