Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Report of Land Claims Commissioner — Nos. 367 and 367a

page 31

Report of Land Claims Commissioner
Nos. 367 and 367a.

In the matter of the Claims of E Boyce.
These claims were advertised for investigation by Commissioner Godfrey in 1842, but 1862. 21 June. the claimant not appearing the Commissioner recommended no Grant. The case was Commissioner's Report. however ordered by Acting Governor Shortland to lie over with others of a similar nature. The land is situated at Whangaroa.
The claim was brought before me by Thomas Flavell, when I held my Court at Thos. Flavell. Mangonui in October, 1857. I was not, however, certain at that time whether I should admit the case at all, and therefore a formal notification was not allowed to be then filed, though I admitted having received sufficient notice of the claim in case I should decide on admitting it. Further inquiries have satisfied me it is a case where a Grant may be issued. The original Deed of Sale is dated 8th December, 1837, whereby the Chiefs Ururoa and Putete sold the claims to Charles Smith and Edward Boyce for £4 in cash and goods, which I value at £9, which multiplied by 3 gives £27, or a total amount of £31 for computation of acreage under the Schedule.

On the 25th January, 1838, Charles Smith appears to have assigned his share in the claim to one George Smith for £8; and George Smith, according to the certificate by one Stephen Wrathall (himself a claimant in the same locality), appears to have transferred his interest to Thomas Flavell. The other original partner, Edward Boyce, appeared before Mr. Resident Magistrate White, and stated on oath that he bad assigned his share in the claim to the same Thomas Flavell.

The land was surveyed by Flavell: contents 400 acres. It immediately adjoins the Whakapaku Government Block, and was laid off by the same surveyors who surveyed that Block.

The computation for acreage is as follows: The Claimant may receive under the Schedule 248 acres; survey allowance on 400 acres, 60: total, 308. It is accordingly hereby directed that a Grant be issued to Thomas Flavell for 308 acres (three hundred and eight) at Whaugaroa Harbour.

F. D. Bell, L.C.C.

Auckland, 21st June, 1862.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Commissioner's Report. Nos.367, 367A.O.L.C

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 27th August, 1879.