Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 4.) — Juge Maning to Mr. Dickey

(No. 4.)
Juge Maning to Mr. Dickey.

Native Land Court Office, Hokianga, 2nd September, 1871.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 19th ultimo, with copy of a draft Native Lands Act and communication from the Hon. the Native Minister, to the effect that he desires the opinion of Judges of the Native Land Court on the same. I, in consequence, enclose herewith some hasty notes I have made [gap — reason: damage] different sections of this draft Act intended for the consideration of the Chief Judge and the Hon. the Native Minister, and feel it my duty to state that I can only look upon this draft Act with feelings of the most unqualified disapproval and not a little alarm; for should it become law without such alterations as would, in fact, altogether obliterate the original, it would most certainly be, as soon as it came to be understood by its practical operation, indignantly repudiated by the Natives, who would return to those feelings of distrust and hostility to the Government which, I am glad to say, have, for several years back, been gradually dying out in the North, and are now all but extinct.

I have, &c.,

F. E. Maning.

A. J. Dickey, Esq., Chief Clerk Native Laud Court, Auckland.