Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — The Chief Commissioner to H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M

No. 5.
The Chief Commissioner to H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M.

Wairarapa.—Further Information on the Five-per-Cents supplied. Native Land Purchase Department, Auckland, 07th June, 1861.

Sir,—

With further reference to the question of 5 per cent. on profits arising out of the sale of certain lands in the Wairarapa District, adverted to in my letter of yesterday's date, and by which it was intimated to you that further particulars would be supplied for your information and guidance in effecting a settlement with the Natives, I have the honour herewith to transmit to you—(1) A memorandum showing the blocks upon which the 5-per-cents are chargeable; (2) A copy of the clause in one of the deeds of conveyance, dated 1st September, 1853, showing the purposes and objects of this arrangement; (3) A statement by the Accountant of this department showing the sums of money which have been already advanced to the Natives on account of the Five-per-Cent. Fund. His Honour the Superintendent of the Province of Wellington will be requested to instruct the Commissioner of Crown Lands and the Receiver of Land Revenue to afford you their assistance and co-operation, as they are in possession of all the information as to the extent of land sold upon which the 5 per cent. is chargeable, and Mr. Frazer will be enabled to distinguish as to the boundaries of each block subject to this charge.

You will be good enough, in carrying on this investigation, to confine yourselves to the question of the amount chargeable upon each block, together with a statement of the total sum due to the Natives under the promise made to them as a part of the terms of purchase of the blocks herein referred to. The disposal of the money thus realized will be an after consideration, and subject to special instructions from His Excellency the Governor.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner

Herbert S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Wairarapa.